Genealogy bloopers!

annewandering

Actual requests received by the Family History Department of the LDS Church. These are extracts from REAL letters:

I would like to find out if I have any living relatives or dead relatives or ancestors in my family.

He and his daughter are listed as not being born.

My Grandfather died at the age of 3.

We are sending you 5 children in a separate envelope.

The wife of #22 could not be found. Somebody suggested that she might have been stillborn - what do you think?

I am mailing you my aunt and uncle and 3 of their children.

Enclosed please find my Grandmother. I have worked on her for 30 years without success.

Now see what you can do. This family had 7 nephews that I am unable to find. If you know who they are, please add them to the list.

We lost our Grandmother, will you please send us a copy?

A 14-year-old boy wrote: "I do not want you to do my research for me. Will you please send me all of the material on the Welch line, in the US, England and Scotland countries? I will do the research."

Will you please send me the name of my first wife? I have forgotten her name.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

There is a tendency, ok much more than that, for anyone with any responsibility in the church to say NO when something is requested. Rather than to risk them seen as approving something that some higher leader might criticize them for. This is at all levels. I see it in missionary work, in publications, etc. I could give examples, but probably the people here don't care that much. My tact is to do my best to determine if i am causing some harm or breaking a law, if not then i do it.