Groups or individuals whose practices are contrary to the church

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Guest gopecon

I'll grant that it could probably be clarified some, without becoming too specific so as to limit groups that should be included.

As to the gay marriage issue, the First Presidency has called on members to advocate against changing the definition of marriage to include gay marriage. Whether favoring gay marriage rises to the level of apostacy to have one's temple recommend pulled is not up to me, but the brethren have been pretty clear about this issue. Maybe favoring domestic partnership agreements, or some other type of compromise would be okay, but I have a hard time buying the idea that supporting legalization can be squared with current teachings of the Church. Again, we are using this issue as a real-life hypothetical, I've not any official situations where this question was used to stop a gay-marriage supporter.

I think that we can belive anything we want but if we are actively involved in any of these groups ... say out protesting for abortion etc with organized groups then these are the ones that fall under the recommend question. Many moons ago we had a group in our area call Saints Alive (they called themselves a church and have since gone the way of the Dodo) who's soul mission in existing was to lure people away from the LDS church. This would be one of those org covered by that question.

If we take the question literally, then, for me, the answer would be yes. I believe in free speech and I support a lot of people who disagree with the teachings of the church, BUT, I don't do anything like make dontations to abortion clinics. I think that the question is general because they want the member to probe their mind and think of anything they are doing that would be considered 'wrong'. They then rely on the spirit to bring out anything that could be considered 'wrong'. That's just a thought.

I think that we can belive anything we want but if we are actively involved in any of these groups ... say out protesting for abortion etc with organized groups then these are the ones that fall under the recommend question. Many moons ago we had a group in our area call Saints Alive (they called themselves a church and have since gone the way of the Dodo) who's soul mission in existing was to lure people away from the LDS church. This would be one of those org covered by that question.

It seems to me that even people who support 'pro-choice', which I dont, do not actually advocate abortion. Mostly they are saying people should be able to decide on their own. Now I am not going to go to the abortion debate because that is not what the thread is about just wanted to point out that a person might belong, or use, an organization and not support what is the public perception is about them. I am thinking of planned parenthood. I have used some of their services before. Back before pregnancy tests were available for anyone, they were a fast way to determine pregnancy. Maybe that is one reason the question asked for a temple recommend isnt specific.

Guest Magen_Avot

:lol:To the question, "Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"

I'd always answer "yes! The US Navy". It got a good many chuckles but that one is ok.

As part of the temple recommend interview, we're asked:

Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Is it just me, or is this extremely vague? Seeing as none of us are perfect, we all affiliate with people and groups whose practices are contrary to those accepted by the church. So what is it refering to? Just the worst kinds of groups like anti-Mormons? What exactly does it mean?

I figure it's left so open for interpretation because it depends on the individual themselves rather than any set rules for, this organization is okay but this one isn't. So how to do you judge it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

there are many many many ways to sin and go against the purposes of god. As it is worded it allows the church to be able to adapt to current situations.

It means any group that works against God.... either directly such as anti-mormon/ anti-LDS leader groups, or less directly such as actively making you sin or go against the covenants you made. It's mainly left open more likely of the second part- groups that will cause you to sin or go against covenants can be highly varied and come in countless ways.