3 month supply

pam

About 10lbs of fat, stored internally. :D Honestly we don't have a multimonth supply, probably more like 2 weeks, possibly 3 weeks.

We have:

Frozen: ground beef, chicken, a couple roasts, frozen pizzas, some butter, sausages.

Dry: Canned beans, canned soup, canned tomatos, mac and cheese, olive oil, some salt and spices, hamburger helper, and pasta, tuna, beef broth, and a few pounds each of sugar and flour.

If the call to food storage was because of something that knocked out the power we would be in a world of hurt. I'd like to see more flour, wheat (possibly just wheat with a mill), oats, peanut butter, beans, and rice, more salt, sugar, and oil. It would really extend what we have and be a big step in the right direction.

Edited by Dravin

I was trying to come up with some canned items that would not have to be heated to consume. Just in case power went out..though I do have a gas stove. But in case that cooking was not an option.

I was trying to come up with some canned items that would not have to be heated to consume. Just in case power went out..though I do have a gas stove. But in case that cooking was not an option.

I like to eat Chef Boyardee cold, but that doesn't appeal to everyone. Tuna, or canned chicken (even the canned ham and beef) can be eaten cold. You can combine mayo, tuna/chicken and some relish (or pickles), bust out a box of crackers or some bread and you have something to eat that isn't horrific (all your canned foods will be edible cold, some are more palatable than others though). Also, my sister likes to make a black bean and corn salsa that could be done from the pantry (it does call for fresh onion and cilantro though).

Edited by Dravin

I'm all about cold pork and beans. hahaha

Drain them, mash, add diced onions, diced celery and some mayo/miracle whip and you have a sandwich spread.

I prefer Boston Baked beans for this. Husband thought I was nuts until I coaxed him into taking a bite. He likes it!!

Drain them, mash, add diced onions, diced celery and some mayo/miracle whip and you have a sandwich spread.

I prefer Boston Baked beans for this. Husband thought I was nuts until I coaxed him into taking a bite. He likes it!!

Okay, the first thing that comes to mind when someone talks about Boston Baked Beans is this:

Posted Image

:D

I bottle peaches, apples, cherries. We have canned meats. I used to go regularly to the dry pack cannery and so we have beans, lentils, peas, onions, etc. We also have a lot of red wheat (which I need to repack). Salt. I need to store more yeast. Seeds for the garden. I also haven't stored oils, they go rancid and have to be rotated more frequently.

Cans of food that can be eaten without eating...I would think anything you already like cold would be what you should store.

Here is a list for ideas of things to get...

http://everydayfoodstorage.net/handouts/pantry.pdf

Under 3 month supply planning tools...here is a spreadsheet that will help us know what to get. Notice there is a video that goes with it.

Step 3: Three Month Food Supply | Food Storage Made Easy

They also suggest checking out

deals to meals (free trial period for those interested)

Deals to Meals â„ 

And ruin a good can of cold pork and beans? No way Jose. :P

Our 3 month supply consists of canned goods, everyday pantry items, fridge and freezer stored items. I probably have more then 3 months of regular foods. With power to cook nothing much would really change for us. Without utilities we can cook with several other methods: bbq grill, dutch oven, camp stoves etc. One of my favorite canned goods is the tamales in a can. We also have lots of Chunky soups, canned chicken, Compleats, Ramen, etc.