Can an Aaronic priesthood holder lay on hands during a baby blessing?

fiona84

This is a very specific question.....theoretical in our case.

If my husband and I want to have our baby blessed, but he only holds the Aaronic priesthood (as a recent convert), can he still stand up with the priesthood holders who are taking part in the blessing, lay his hands on the baby, etc? I understand he can't GIVE the blessing but he's wondering if he could stand up and take part.

I thought the answer would be 'no' but today at church a teenage boy stood up in the circle with his hands on the little girl (family friend) who was getting confirmed? And he is 12/13 ish so only holds the Aaronic priesthood.

Thanks!

I don't think so. Generally, the authority needed to perform an ordinance is the same authority needed to participate in it.

I thought the answer would be 'no' but today at church a teenage boy stood up in the circle with his hands on the little girl (family friend) who was getting confirmed? And he is 12/13 ish so only holds the Aaronic priesthood.

That doesn't seem right. Are you sure he wasn't just holding the microphone?

Edited by LittleWyvern
grammar fail!

From Handbook 2 which is available on lds.org:

General Guidelines

“Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name” (D&C 20:70). In conformity with this revelation, only Melchizedek Priesthood holders may participate in naming and blessing children. Priesthood leaders should inform members of this instruction before their children are named and blessed. While preserving the sacred nature of the blessing, leaders should make every reasonable effort to avoid embarrassment or offense to individuals or families.

Children are normally named and blessed during fast and testimony meeting in the ward where the parents are members of record.

Instructions for Naming and Blessing a Child

When blessing a baby, Melchizedek Priesthood holders gather in a circle and place their hands under the baby. When blessing an older child, brethren place their hands lightly on the child’s head. The person who gives the blessing:

• 1. Addresses Heavenly Father.
  • 2. States that the blessing is performed by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
  • 3. Gives the child a name.
  • 4. Gives words of blessing as the Spirit directs.
  • 5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

20.3.10Instructions for Performing a Confirmation

Under the direction of the bishopric, one or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders may participate in a confirmation. They place their hands lightly on the person’s head. Then the person who performs the ordinance:

• 1. States the person’s full name.
  • 2. States that the ordinance is performed by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
  • 3. Confirms the person a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
  • 4. Uses the words “Receive the Holy Ghost” (not “receive the gift of the Holy Ghost”).
  • 5. Gives words of blessing as the Spirit directs.
  • 6. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

According to the handbook, only Melchizedek Priesthood holders may participate in the circle of both baby blessings and confirmations.

How long before he can get the Melchizedek priesthood after baptism?

Yes, I'm thinking the boy must have been holding the microphone. That makes sense!

I know my husband would find it a bit sad to not be able to even stand up there. Is it true that he could hold the baby then? Or I guess he could hold the mic like the boy did today...

Or yes, we could wait but I thought it was a year before a convert could get the Melchizedek priesthood?

Thanks for your responses.

Guest gopecon

There is no set time from baptism for a man to be able to get the melchesidek priesthood. Being endowed or sealed has a 1 year limit, but the priesthood does not. It will often take that long, but that is a function of bishops and stake presidents exercising caution to ensure that the new convert is ready for the responsibility. We had a brother ordained an elder and called into the branch presidency about 3 months after baptism a couple of years ago. When people are ready, they do not need to be held back.

Just a side note - the only time I have heard that an Aaronic priesthood holder can be in the circle is when ordaining someone TO the Aaronic priesthood.

Yet, the person doing the ordaining must be a Melchezidek priesthood holder.

I think this is a very specific circumstance that can't be applied anywhere else in the church.

Both these conditions have to be met:

- Be 18 years of age or older

- Be a member of the church for 1 year

Of course, standards of worthiness apply also.

Actually, the second one (being a member of the church for 1 year) is no longer true. According to Handbook 2, pgs 24-25:

"Recently baptized brethren ages 18 and older are ordained elders after they have served as priests, developed sufficient understanding of the gospel, and demonstrated their worthiness. No specific time as a member is required."

As an example, I was sustained to be ordained an elder yesterday, and I've been a member since February. However, to be endowed, you have to be a member for at least a year.

Guest gopecon

Just a side note - the only time I have heard that an Aaronic priesthood holder can be in the circle is when ordaining someone TO the Aaronic priesthood.

I think this is a very specific circumstance that can't be applied anywhere else in the church.

Skippy - Priests in the Aaronic Priesthood can ordain other priests, as well as teachers and deacons to the priesthood. I don't believe that teachers and deacons can stand in the circle for ordinations.

Actually, the second one (being a member of the church for 1 year) is no longer true. According to Handbook 2, pgs 24-25:

"Recently baptized brethren ages 18 and older are ordained elders after they have served as priests, developed sufficient understanding of the gospel, and demonstrated their worthiness. No specific time as a member is required."

As an example, I was sustained to be ordained an elder yesterday, and I've been a member since February. However, to be endowed, you have to be a member for at least a year.

Oh, ok, my mistake. I must have been thinking of going to the temple for endowments.

Guest Magen_Avot

D&C 20:46-48 discuses what a Priest can do which is to ordain (vs 48) other Deacons, Teachers and Priests.

I don't have handbook 2 with me right now so I can't look up any other particulars but I recall that ch 4? has particulars on what even Elders can do and it pretty much hinges on the Bishop. For some things having a temple recommend makes a difference (which can also be waived by the Bishop). ^_^

Skippy - Priests in the Aaronic Priesthood can ordain other priests, as well as teachers and deacons to the priesthood. I don't believe that teachers and deacons can stand in the circle for ordinations.

That is correct. I was referring to priests, but didn't specify. Thanks!

Since the OP was about her husband, I can only assume (there's that word again) that he's already ordained to the office of Priest within the Aaronic Priesthood. Most adult males are ordained directly to the office of Priest.