What do you do?

sister_in_faith

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think maybe you should ask first?? I think you're worried about nothing. I agree with everyone else. But when you're out and enjoying ice cream you can specifiy what you can have unless you were away from the table and they ordered it for you. Maybe I'm missing something?

Tortuga rum cake is VERY good. I went on a caribbean cruise (before I became LDS) and brougt back a bunch of little Tortuga rum cakes with me. Oh my goodness they were so good I ended up only giving a couple of them away, and eating the rest. Their website claims that there is 0.05% alcohol content in them, but I still probably wouldn't eat them anymore. Actually, if someone were to put one in front of me, I would probably txt my bishop and ask his permission. They are that dang good.

When I drank the fruit juice, it was my fault that I didn't check the label to MAKE SURE that it didn't have tea. I really didn't ever suspect that they would put tea in fruit juice, but that was me being nieve.

I double checked the menu after they brought the ice cream to make sure that it said nothing about coffee topping. I actually think whoever made the ice cream make a mistake, because the toppings were very carefully listed.

I never specifically ask wait staff at restaurants if they contain any ingredients that are forbidden by the WOW unless I suspect that there could be. Do you guys ask everytime, just in case?

Maybe I should be? Hummmm

I think that it makes a big deal out of something that is kind of private, what do you guys think?

When I drank the fruit juice, it was my fault that I didn't check the label to MAKE SURE that it didn't have tea. I really didn't ever suspect that they would put tea in fruit juice, but that was me being nieve.

I double checked the menu after they brought the ice cream to make sure that it said nothing about coffee topping. I actually think whoever made the ice cream make a mistake, because the toppings were very carefully listed.

I never specifically ask wait staff at restaurants if they contain any ingredients that are forbidden by the WOW unless I suspect that there could be. Do you guys ask everytime, just in case?

Maybe I should be? Hummmm

I think that it makes a big deal out of something that is kind of private, what do you guys think?

Why should following WoW be 'private' and how is doing one's best to abide by WoW making a "big deal"? That doesn't make any sense. Discussions about garments and what goes on in the Temple should be private, but the WoW is not a 'private' thing. Plenty of people know that LDS don't drink tea or coffee or partake in alcohol. It's not a secret, nor should it be. It can often be an opportunity to open up a discussion and share the Gospel. I have no qualms about sharing the fact that I don't consume certain things is because I am LDS.

If there is something in particular that I don't eat - whether it be for religious, medical, or other reasons - I am certainly going to perform due diligence BEFORE consumption. It's not a "big deal" and nothing to be secretive about.

Because she is new in the church and is uncertain about some things. Permission isnt necessary but if in doubt ask seems to be smart.

Asking for counsel makes sense, asking for permission makes it sound like she's trying to wheedle the car out of Dad for the weekend. I suppose whatever we call it (permission or counsel) the important thing is that we are seeking to understand the doctrines of the Kingdom and how to apply them for ourselves and not just trying to shift that responsibility on to others.

Edited by Dravin

Pardon the slight derail a moment if you would, but since I'm trying to learn more about LDS practices and beliefs, can someone explain to me the issue with Tea and Coffee? I haven't managed to read everything I wanted to read before I started participating actively in discussions, but this is a gap in my knowledge.

No disrespect intended.

Pardon the slight derail a moment if you would, but since I'm trying to learn more about LDS practices and beliefs, can someone explain to me the issue with Tea and Coffee? I haven't managed to read everything I wanted to read before I started participating actively in discussions, but this is a gap in my knowledge.

No disrespect intended.

There are a lot of member theories as to why in particular we have been told to avoid coffee and tea, but ultimately it is because the Lord has counseled us to avoid coffee and tea in a commandment called the Word of Wisdom (You can read it here: Doctrine and Covenants 89* ). The phrase contained in the actual scripture is "hot drinks" which has been interpreted by those in authority in the Church to do so as meaning coffee and tea. It was originally given by way of counsel by the Lord but it was later accepted by the Church as binding upon it's members, and so members of the Church have covenanted to obey it.

You can find some additional explanations on it here: Word of Wisdom if you scroll down it links to talks and study helps on the subject.

There are a lot of member theories as to why in particular we have been told to avoid coffee and tea, but ultimately it is because the Lord has counseled us to avoid coffee and tea in a commandment called the Word of Wisdom (You can read it here: Doctrine and Covenants 89* ). The phrase contained in the actual scripture is "hot drinks" which has been interpreted by those in authority in the Church to do so as meaning coffee and tea. It was originally given by way of counsel by the Lord but it was later accepted by the Church as binding upon it's members, and so members of the Church have covenanted to obey it.

You can find some additional explanations on it here: Word of Wisdom if you scroll down it links to talks and study helps on the subject.

Perfect! Thank you for the links.

Unintentionally having something to me at least is not a problem, but let me ask you this:

Did you not read the description in the menu about the Sunday? or was it ordered on someones recommendation?

I tend to pay more attention to labels than I used to and not just for direct WoW issues, but for general health issues also (fat, carbs, salt, etc)

Had a coworker vacation in Hawaii and brought back a box of chocolates and was passing out to everyone I took one and bit into it and found it was coffee flavored. I didn't make a big deal out of it, I just tossed what was left in the garbage after he was out of sight.