Church's position on sexual activity between husband and wife

bonanzafan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should do a search. This has been hashed out over and over again.

Nutshell, you can do whatever you want with your spouse behind closed doors.

I was going to say the same thing Bini. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum.

You should do a search. This has been hashed out over and over again.

He may need access to the open forum, such threads tend to end up there (though not always).

There is one important caveat, and that is it shouldn't grieve the spirit. Of course that leads to a discussion of what does grieve the spirit and thus the threads. Personally I think the spirit is a better guide than the internet, even if it's this particular part of the internet.

Also, extra-marital sex is wrong, even if your spouse is involved.

The church's position on marital sex is affirmative.

Indeed. I rather like Elder Holland's devotional Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments.

Edited by Dravin

He may need access to the open forum, such threads tend to end up there (though not always).

There is one important caveat, and that is it shouldn't grieve the spirit. Of course that leads to a discussion of what does grieve the spirit and thus the threads. Personally I think the spirit is a better guide than the internet, even if it's this particular part of the internet.

Also, extra-marital sex is wrong, even if your spouse is involved.

Indeed. I rather like Elder Ballard's devotional Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments.

Hmmmm....I don't have access to "those" theads and have seen it on here pleny of times.

Hmmmm....I don't have access to "those" theads and have seen it on here pleny of times.

I was saying (or at least trying to get in that direction) that those threads tend to end up there, not that all of them are there. If one wants to do an exhaustive research of past discussions on the topic one will need to venture into the open forum to get access to everything.

Edited by Dravin

Thanks for that link, Dravin. I read and enjoyed the whole thing. I love Elder Holland. I've also bookmarked it and printed it out for future use, as my oldest gets closer and closer to teenage years.

Let me point out that Bini's nutshell description is in no possible sense Church policy. It is her own understanding, shared by many, but is not the teachings of the Church.

I say this because there are innumerable sexual perversions possible between spouses, ranging from commonplace to unimaginably bizarre. All unholy, impure acts are condemnable, whether or not the Church has singled them out as such.

I would hate for anyone to think that the Church says, "Married? Hey, anything goes!"

Why's the Spirit watching people have sex? :eek: Honestly, let's have a little privacy here! We're respectable people, after all. :P

I know you mean it in jest, but sex doesn't chase the spirit away. Do you also expect to be devoid of the spirit while bathing? Going to the bathroom? Any other situation where you wouldn't want a physical person in the room with you? Is God unaware of sexual transgression unless someone lets it slip afterwards?

No the spirit does not flee just because we are doing something we think (or actually) is private. When the spirit flees we are further from God, I hate to think that such a sacred and intimate moment would place me further from God.

Edited by Dravin

Why's the Spirit watching people have sex? :eek: Honestly, let's have a little privacy here! We're respectable people, after all. :P

Why is this funny? The humor utterly escapes me, though I suspect it is somehow related to Suzie's desire that God and angels be nowhere near while she is committing sex with her husband.

this is ridiculous. i wish i didn't ask. some of you have horrible attitudes and need to go to church, it seems.

The thing is I don't think there is any official list. As mentioned, we've been told to not grieve the spirit (or as Vort put it to abstain from unholy and impure practices, which would grieve the spirit), there is not to my knowledge a definitive list.

I think you've gotten some good feedback. Threads kind of weave in and out of relevancy to the original topic, or maybe they'd be called nails or re-bars or something like that. Just because you start a thread doesn't mean you're the boss of it, or that you can expect every post to be to your liking. Nor does it mean that those who don't post as you want them to need to go to church any more than anyone else. As for the attitude issue, I'm sorry you're having a rough time and I hope you find the answer you're looking for. Perhaps taking it to prayer would bring you what you're looking for.

I suspect it is somehow related to Suzie's desire that God and angels be nowhere near while she is committing sex with her husband.

And how in the world my name is being called here? Like you are psychologically affected by that thread or what? :P

Love it: "committing sex with her husband". :P