chickenpox lollipops?

sister_in_faith

NO COMMENT!!! I don't want Vort to be upset with more of my ignorant comments. ;)

WHAT?! How DARE you say that! Why, I'm just so overcome with indignation at such an ignorant comment!

Plus, the smiley was just totally uncalled for.

I've never understood why anyone would deliberately make their child sick.

The idea is your kid gets exposed now and gets sick now for a little while instead of seriously ill or dead later. Children handle chicken pox a lot better than adults do. It's like how a long time ago people would go out of their way to infect people with cow pox because it wasn't lethal and it was close enough that once you'd had it that it provided an advantage against small pox (which was lethal). The idea is less virulent disease now over more virulent disease later.

Apparently there is a vaccine for chicken pox, but I'll be honest I didn't know there was, and I suspect most of those of the "Let's get'em infected now instead of dead later" thinking are unaware of it. According to the article there vaccine may be less effective then full blown infection and recovery but I doubt people are actually reviewing the medical literature and then making a decision. I suspect in a sense it's tradition from before the availability of the vaccine.

Edited by Dravin

When my kids got chickenpox and when the neighbor volunteered to watch them, there was no vaccine for chickenpox. My kids were in a daycare center normally. Out of 175 kids that were cared for there, almsost 140 came down with chickenpox in a one months time. It spread like wildfire through the daycare center.

Of course my 3 kids couldn't get it all at the same time. It was one at a time. First one, 2 weeks later the next and 2 weeks later the next. Didn't they realize how inconvenient that was? haha

The idea is your kid gets exposed now and gets sick now for a little while instead of seriously ill or dead later. Children handle chicken pox a lot better than adults do. It's like how a long time ago people would go out of their way to infect people with cow pox because it wasn't lethal and it was close enough that once you'd had it that it provided an advantage against small pox (which was lethal). The idea is less virulent disease now over more virulent disease later.

Apparently there is a vaccine for chicken pox, but I'll be honest I didn't know there was, and I suspect most of those of the "Let's get'em infected now instead of dead later" thinking are unaware of it. According to the article there vaccine may be less effective then full blown infection and recovery but I doubt people are actually reviewing the medical literature and then making a decision. I suspect in a sense it's tradition from before the availability of the vaccine.

Most parents these days know that the vaccine exists, but opt not to vaccinate against chickenpox. The theory is that the antibodies developed naturally through exposure are stronger than the antibodies developed through the vaccine (another form of the argument for letting nature take its course).

I was/am one of the parents, until just recently when I learned that there is evidence to suggest that children who contract chicken pox have no protection against shingles later in life, but children who are vaccinated against chicken pox rarely get shingles. I will likely request my daughter be vaccinated at her next appointment, and won't avoid the vaccination with daughter #2

it is cheaper than vaccine. didnt know about the singles argument. hmm interesting. I dont see anything wrong with exposing kids to chickenpox but it seems like something that would be illegal to send through mail or delivery.

As far as the vaccine goes it ticked me off that they tested it on kids without parents knowing it was being tested. Not sure I trust a company like that.

it is cheaper than vaccine. didnt know about the singles argument. hmm interesting. I dont see anything wrong with exposing kids to chickenpox but it seems like something that would be illegal to send through mail or delivery.

Yeah, when thinking about it later it occurred to me you are using mail to purposely send an infectious agent. I suspect there is an anti-terrorism statue a perky prosecutor could apply. Looking at the article I note it warns it is indeed illegal to do what they are doing.

Most parents these days know that the vaccine exists, but opt not to vaccinate against chickenpox.

I take it is something one would expect to come up during doctors visits (perhaps in discussion of other shots) then?

Edited by Dravin

I think I would be worried about what else was on the lollipops besides chickenpox... that just REALLY grosses me out!!! ick!

Really???? I thought mothers were able to put anything their child had done unspeakable things to - in her mouth - to either finish up or clean up for the child.

Very few fathers have the "guts" to do any such thing.

The Traveler

For only $1 a sucker I'll send you a dum-dums laced with cooties. It's cheaper, more effective, and longer-lasting than a cootie shot.

I already know a lot of dum-dums that have cooties..so no thanks.

Edited by pam

I was/am one of the parents, until just recently when I learned that there is evidence to suggest that children who contract chicken pox have no protection against shingles later in life, but children who are vaccinated against chicken pox rarely get shingles. I will likely request my daughter be vaccinated at her next appointment, and won't avoid the vaccination with daughter #2

MOE, are you guys expecting? Congrats to you both.