Fasting...

sister_in_faith

Because of medical reasons I have NEVER been able to enjoy the blessings of a fast.

I am wondering if anyone out there has found a 'substitute' for fasting, for those who have to eat (low blood sugar=very bad!). It has been suggested things like 'no TV' or something like that, but for some reason, no TV doesn't seem as spiritual as no food.

Any ideas?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No internet... hummmm.... :rolleyes:

You know, I was just thinking, maybe I could plan a couple of very simple, small meals (with the knowledge that I could break the fast if an 'emergency' arose), something that didn't taste good, like rice with no salt, or something like that, so that it meets nutritinal needs, but doesn't 'satisfy'?

i do not know what fasting feels like for regular people. for me it is sickening.

Eating simple food seems like the right thing to do. I would not say tasteless but just simple and respectful. Now I do not know what your medical problem is but I know that for diabetes plain rice would not be such a great idea. This morning I ate cottage cheese. Any milk product helps me out on the diabetes so it works well for me.

I may be able to offer something that might help. Recently I learned something about fasting that I had never considered before, even though it makes sense and fit right along with gospel teachings.

Not too long ago, for the first time, I fasted for another person's concenrs. I've done it before, but not to this extent. Usually I pray for some help for myself and the propblems I'm facing along with aid for others.

This time I fasted with the entire purpose for another to receive the full blessings of my fast.

What I found out was that the Lord helped me in ways, personally, that He doesn't (or I assume can't) when I fast for myself.

So, as you think of fasting substitutes, you might think of how you can help others with the substitute.

I may be able to offer something that might help. Recently I learned something about fasting that I had never considered before, even though it makes sense and fit right along with gospel teachings.

Not too long ago, for the first time, I fasted for another person's concenrs. I've done it before, but not to this extent. Usually I pray for some help for myself and the propblems I'm facing along with aid for others.

This time I fasted with the entire purpose for another to receive the full blessings of my fast.

What I found out was that the Lord helped me in ways, personally, that He doesn't (or I assume can't) when I fast for myself.

So, as you think of fasting substitutes, you might think of how you can help others with the substitute.

Interesting idea. hmmm

Fasting has many purposes... Some of the things to look for in a replacement... Requires the use of and development of Self Control. For those in sound medical condition fasting does not endanger health, but it does require the reining in of a very 'natural man' type of impulse.

Then there is prayer... I have heard people say that fasting without prayer is just starving yourself... there is probably some truth to that. Change the dragging dread of giving something up that you like into a willing sacrifice to the Lord. That is not easy either, which is why we practice.

As for what you can use to replace it that is a trickier question, because each person is different. I would recommend a self assessment. Find some beams or motes in your character that you would be better off without and prayerfully pick one to work on.

I remember my very first fast Sunday as a new convert. I sat there in sacrament meeting watching all the 2 year olds eating goldfish while I was going hungry. That's not right.

LOL!!!! I sat next to kids today eating Cheerios and cookies. I'm prone to getting cluster headaches, and fasting will trigger several days of them (which I know will happen, so I just deal with it), so I know how it's difficult for some people for medical reasons. But those cookies smelled great. :D

Do you have a food or drink that you eat/drink every day or often? If so, then you can not consume that for a fast.

Or choose simple foods instead of full fledged meals. Make sure you eat properly, but perhaps eat plain cooked chicken rather than chicken with sauces or other flavorings (as an example).

I know one guy who eats peanut butter sandwiches and drinks only water as a way to fast (he is unable to fast either). Those don't satisfy his taste buds (too plain for his tastes), but they satisfy his nutritional needs. It is his way of fasting while not putting himself in physical danger.

Eat what you must and fast from that which gives you pleasure. Do not forget to begin and end your fast in prayer and pay a fast offering.

The Traveler

Thank you for the fast offering and prayer reminder. I'm going to try doing this on my own here pretty soon...

Any other tibits of advice on how to approach a fast in the best manner possible?

Because of medical reasons I have NEVER been able to enjoy the blessings of a fast.

I am wondering if anyone out there has found a 'substitute' for fasting, for those who have to eat (low blood sugar=very bad!). It has been suggested things like 'no TV' or something like that, but for some reason, no TV doesn't seem as spiritual as no food.

Any ideas?

I don't know your situation, so I can't speak with any authority to your particular case. But in general, fasting makes everybody sick, until they get used to it. Until your body adapts to fasting, you will get a headache and feel pretty awful. That doesn't mean you're dying, even if you think you feel like you are. It means you have to habituate your body to fasting.

Too many people give up on fasting without ever really giving it a chance. Fast once a month for a year, and if after the twelfth fast you are still feeling absolutely awful every time you fast, then you might want to reconsider your commitment. Until then, you can't know about fasting until you have given it an honest effort.

In 1894, President Wilford Woodruff said:

It was remarked this morning that some people said they could not fast because it made their head ache. Well, I can fast, and so can any other man; and if it makes my head ache by keeping the commandments of God, let it ache.

There may be some people whose health is so delicate and fragile that they would be harmed by fasting for 24 hours. Such people are very, very rare; for the vast majority of us, our overall health could only improve by avoiding food for a day. I believe if the Saints, and indeed anyone else, fasted once a month, they would see real health benefits.

To answer your question more directly: No, I don't believe there is any Lent-like substitute for fasting, like giving up TV or sex or phone conversations for 24 hours. The law of the fast is specific to food, I think.

Never having fasted before, I really don't know what it 'feels' like, or what feelings I'm trying to evoke. I'm gussing it's a little more complicated than just being hungry. Or maybe I'm wrong?

For learning about the more spiritual goals of fasting, Isaiah 58 is an excellent chapter to read and study. There's also a quote that I love from Shoghi Effendi, which goes like this:

It is essentially a period of meditation and prayer, of spiritual recuperation, during which the believer must strive to make the necessary readjustments in his inner life, and to refresh and reinvigorate the spiritual forces latent in his soul. Its significance and purpose are, therefore, fundamentally spiritual in character. Fasting is symbolic, and a reminder of abstinence from selfish and carnal desires.

What I would do to find a "substitute" would be to discover the spiritual goals of fasting and then pick something to fast from that will help you meet those goals. A fast from noise would be a good start. :)

sister_in_faith,

People fast for different reasons. Some people like using it to exercise self-discipline over their bodies. Others do it for health reasons, to get toxins out of their system. Others use it more to focus on spiritual things rather than the physical. I've found that I can actually enjoy fasting because during that time I don't have to worry about the distraction of preparing and eating food, not to mention the time it takes, and I can concentrate more on God. There are other ways to do that, though, so if you can't fast, there's no need to worry.

Setting aside some time to study and ponder the scriptures is one thing you could do. Something that works well for me is going out for a nature walk. Walking a distance physically separates me from a lot of my daily concerns and distractions, and the beauty of nature helps me think of God and find peace. Putting on some good music can help, and so is meditating.

HEP

I don't know your situation, so I can't speak with any authority to your particular case. But in general, fasting makes everybody sick, until they get used to it. Until your body adapts to fasting, you will get a headache and feel pretty awful. That doesn't mean you're dying, even if you think you feel like you are. It means you have to habituate your body to fasting.

Too many people give up on fasting without ever really giving it a chance. Fast once a month for a year, and if after the twelfth fast you are still feeling absolutely awful every time you fast, then you might want to reconsider your commitment. Until then, you can't know about fasting until you have given it an honest effort.

In 1894, President Wilford Woodruff said:

It was remarked this morning that some people said they could not fast because it made their head ache. Well, I can fast, and so can any other man; and if it makes my head ache by keeping the commandments of God, let it ache.

There may be some people whose health is so delicate and fragile that they would be harmed by fasting for 24 hours. Such people are very, very rare; for the vast majority of us, our overall health could only improve by avoiding food for a day. I believe if the Saints, and indeed anyone else, fasted once a month, they would see real health benefits.

To answer your question more directly: No, I don't believe there is any Lent-like substitute for fasting, like giving up TV or sex or phone conversations for 24 hours. The law of the fast is specific to food, I think.

I don't want to misunderstand you Vort, but are you basically saying that I probably could fast if I really wanted to? Just get over yourself and do it? Seeing as you feel that people who can't fast are very very rare?

I am not sure what he means by rare but some people should not fast. Pregnant women and people with diabetes for sure.

Some people who should not fast the full 24 hours could fast for 1 meal perhaps.

I am not sure why Vort has made me feel guilty by saying everyone gets sick fasting. Actually I am not sure that is true. I think most people get hungry.

I am not sure what he means by rare but some people should not fast. Pregnant women and people with diabetes for sure.

Some people who should not fast the full 24 hours could fast for 1 meal perhaps.

I am not sure why Vort has made me feel guilty by saying everyone gets sick fasting. Actually I am not sure that is true. I think most people get hungry.

Rare is probably less than 1% of the population. But even if a person fits that description, they should never feel guilty about that because that is a condition that the person did not put upon themselves. We all have non-perfect bodies that we have to deal with and we do the best we can. I think if you have the spirit of fasting which is to ignore the carnal, corrupted promptings of the body as best one can to give up the things of this world in service of someone else then that "fast" will be accepted.

Don't feel guilty at all Anne, I can tell your heart is in the right place. That is what God judges.

Rare is probably less than 1% of the population. But even if a person fits that description, they should never feel guilty about that because that is a condition that the person did not put upon themselves. We all have non-perfect bodies that we have to deal with and we do the best we can. I think if you have the spirit of fasting which is to ignore the carnal, corrupted promptings of the body as best one can to give up the things of this world in service of someone else then that "fast" will be accepted.

Don't feel guilty at all Anne, I can tell your heart is in the right place. That is what God judges.

Thank you. I really needed this encouragement today for some reason.

I think the principle expressed in Mark 2:27 applies:

And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath.

God gave us commandments for our benefit, not his own, and he's not going to flip out and get all angry with you if you can't fast for medical reasons. Fasting is a good thing (in moderation), but if you can't do it, you can't do it, and God understands. There are other things you can do to increase spirituality, and that's perfectly ok. You know yourself best, so don't let judgmental people make you feel guilty for something that's not your fault. I wish you the best, my friend. :)

Peace,

HEP