Fasting...

sister_in_faith

So it's the dark and evil spirits, then.

I must be in cahoots with them too... I've just read over this thread and have no problem understanding what you are saying..

As far as the question of the OP goes- While I think it is possible to replace a fast with other sacrifices, I do not believe it produces the same effect. I am hypoglycemic and have always given fasting a half-way effort as a full-out fast leaves me with headaches, nausea, and a couple days of recovery where I have to take in foods slowly to get my blood-sugar levels back in order.

However, I came across a situation in high school where I really wanted to fast for someone, so despite how I knew it was going to make me feel physically, I did so. To protect my health, I still drank water and had tiny little snacks in place of my meals. I kept my fast up for three days- when the situation I was fasting for was resolved- and the spiritual experience that fast provided is something I simply cannot explain. I do not think any other sacrifice could have provided the same experience.

There is something important about physically depriving yourself of food. It makes chemical changes in your body- and body, mind, and spirit are all very closely in tune with one another. I truly believe that this was one of those experiences that brought me closest to God, and while I do not do a good job of fasting regularly every month, I understand why fasting is important and would do it again if a situation merited it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic