What I've Learned from Modern Prophets

Justice

Oh see, and I thought it was trying to be a play on Korihor which would give it a rather nasty tone if such was the case.

Hmmm? I guess I understand why you got "nasty" and rude at me there.

Yes. Morcor ---- the mormon corridor, or the Wasatch front and Southern Idaho. General term used by mormons outside of Utah. No disrespect meant by it.

I have no problem that our LDS prophets are preaching the same message as other prophets from different faiths. That is a good thing. I just can't think of anything that is uniquely mormon that I've heard come from SLC since the 70's, that I don't hear other prophets talking about as well.

I mean, take the proclamation to the family. Great advice! But that is certainly not uniquely mormon. There are billions of folks who believe that and I would say that the majority of the population support strong families.

So Windseeker, does that make me a troll?

...chyeah

cause..

No one other than you has implied that the LDS church has cornered the market on truth. I understand your point but you could have made it without the hyperbole and putting words in Judo's mouth. You had a gripe and just seems like you tried to jam your square grievance into the round hole that is this topic.

My first thought to this thread, which I guess I should have just said so I didn't get labeled a troll, was to say that what I think the most valuable thing LDS prophets have shown me, is that we are all prophets and have access to the gods. And that we can all go to the gods for answers and knowledge. And that we should seek truth and wisdom where ever we can find it. I think Joseph Smith was a great prophet and example of this kind of a belief system.

I agree with that :D

god specifically..I just go to the main one for my answers

Edited by Windseeker

...chyeah

cause..

No one other than you has implied that the LDS church has cornered the market on truth. I understand your point but you could have made it without the hyperbole and putting words in Judo's mouth. You had a gripe and just seems like you tried to jam your square grievance into the round hole that is this topic.

Wow. hyperbole, gripe, grievance, jam.... Really. Okay. I didn't realize you folks were such a sensitive bunch. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

Guest mormonmusic

Bruce R. McConkie said in Mormon Doctrine (I believe) that each person is a prophet to their own personal affairs. So, that brings new meaning to the hymn...We thank thee Oh God for a prophet....if you little "p" it.

I have lots of new personal prophet stuff for my life lately, which is keeping it more exciting than it otherwise would have been.

I guess I misunderstood the purpose the thread. I thought we were talking about "modern day" prophets, as in prophets in our lifetime.

Yeah, modern day prophets as opposed to Old and New Testament prophets.

I'm trying real hard to be positive toward your participation so far in this thread. If you have nothing to add, all you have to do is refrain.

If you have nothing good to say about the living prophet and apostles, my only conclusion is that you haven't listened to them very much.

Start by watching some videos on Mormon.org. They have some awesome ones there.

For you others who are taking it a bit more seriously, I'm not after the most important or profound thing you've learned, just something you've learned.

OMG. How is this not positive?

I think the most valuable thing LDS prophets have shown me, is that we are all prophets and have access to the gods. And that we can all go to the gods for answers and knowledge. And that we should seek truth and wisdom where ever we can find it. I think Joseph Smith was a great prophet and example of this kind of a belief system.

I guess I misunderstood the purpose the thread. I thought we were talking about "modern day" prophets, as in prophets in our lifetime.

OMG. How is this not positive?

It is, and I appreciate it.

I just got home from work and read all your posts for the first time back-to-back, and I might add I responded before I saw Pam's post to move on. So, that's why it seems to me you were being a bit negative. I'm glad you are contributing positively now. :) Thank you.

I like the prophet Urchtdorf's speech awhile back where he says that, and I paraphrase here, because I can't remember the whole quote, that "we should quit worrying so much about all the should's and should not's, and just start appreciating and living the gospel. He also, in that same talk I think, says that we should "slow down, take a walk in nature, watch a sunset, and figure out what the restored gospel means to you personally and how it applies to your life."

Those were good messages I thought. I'm not sure they are revelation -- but certainly they show wisdom.

I went back and read the OP. He doesn't ask about any modern revelation. Just what is something you have learned from modern prophets.

Just thought I'd clarify somewhat. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent of the OP but I understand that it could be anything you may have learned.