Speaking of being petty in Relief Society. . .

I wonder if this would be nit-picky of me.

See, the nursing room is next to the RS room. It has a changing table and a (not very effective) diaper pail. The bathroom is down the hall and around the corner, also with a changing table and the same type of diaper pail. The nursing room has no ventilation, except a window, and it's winter. It's very small and closed-in. When the changing table is open, it's almost right over one of the recliners.

Here's my problem. Sometimes when a nursery child is brought to a mother in the RS society room with smelly shorts, they bring them into the nursing room, change them there, and leave the nasty load in the (not very effective) diaper pail. Then the whole room stinks for the rest of church, while we're sitting there trying to feed our babies and hopefully get them to sleep.

I want to ask the RS presidency to request that the sisters change stinky diapers only in the bathroom, or at very least dispose of them there. The bathroom is big, and ventilated, and I don't have to sit there for 20-minute stints trying to get my baby to eat and go to sleep.

Petty? Should I just plug my nose and bear it?

Perhaps an explination and request for a better diaper pail would be more effective as it would be hard to drive the point to everyone since visitors, and other wards meet there. But I can certianly see the point. Nobody wants that kind of stink hovering around the rest of the day.

I'd also suggest trying a different diaper pail first. Sure, the problem would definitely be solved with a change in behavior, but in this case, behavior is much harder to modify than the environment. If you can quietly fix the problem taking the easy road, you might as well.

Also, if you bring it up to the Relief Society president and the bishop, either the ward can purchase one, or they might be able to find a financially stable member to donate a new and effective diaper pail.

Perhaps an explination and request for a better diaper pail would be more effective as it would be hard to drive the point to everyone since visitors, and other wards meet there. But I can certianly see the point. Nobody wants that kind of stink hovering around the rest of the day.

That's a great idea! I have one to donate, but I can't afford to keep the special bags in stock. Maybe there's room in the ward/building budget for that, somehow.

I was going to go all vigilante and put a sign up to please change nasty diapers in the bathroom only, but I thought that might be a titch passive-aggressive.

That's a great idea! I have one to donate, but I can't afford to keep the special bags in stock. Maybe there's room in the ward/building budget for that, somehow.

I was going to go all vigilante and put a sign up to please change nasty diapers in the bathroom only, but I thought that might be a titch passive-aggressive.

And I'd be more worried that people might perceive you with a b starting the bolded word. And since I know you're not, I'd hate for that to happen.

Who knows, if the budget is not there, it might come to that, tho I would let a bishop or RS pres put up the sign so you don't take the blame for it.

Hidden

I wonder if this would be nit-picky of me.

See, the nursing room is next to the RS room. It has a changing table and a (not very effective) diaper pail. The bathroom is down the hall and around the corner, also with a changing table and the same type of diaper pail. The nursing room has no ventilation, except a window, and it's winter. It's very small and closed-in. When the changing table is open, it's almost right over one of the recliners.

Here's my problem. Sometimes when a nursery child is brought to a mother in the RS society room with smelly shorts, they bring them into the nursing room, change them there, and leave the nasty load in the (not very effective) diaper pail. Then the whole room stinks for the rest of church, while we're sitting there trying to feed our babies and hopefully get them to sleep.

I want to ask the RS presidency to request that the sisters change stinky diapers only in the bathroom, or at very least dispose of them there. The bathroom is big, and ventilated, and I don't have to sit there for 20-minute stints trying to get my baby to eat and go to sleep.

Petty? Should I just plug my nose and bear it?

I would bring it up. There are small plastic garbage bags provided in our ward and a sign that requests that stinky diapers be placed in a small bag and tied shut so the smell doesn't cause problems.

Many women will nurse in public if no nursing area is around. Sometimes it's suggested they go to the bathroom to nurse the baby and the objection is "You wouldn't eat in the bathroom and neither will my baby". So the question in my mind becomes, if the mother's room is for feeding your child.... would you change a nasty diaper on the kitchen counter or you dinning room table? I do understand that babies will often need a diaper change around feeding time so a table to do that is nice so you aren't wandering all over the building, but it should have proper disposal available. If you are just changing the baby and the child does not need to eat you should do that in the bathroom if supplies are available there.

Our branch does not have a mother's room. We do have a changing table in both bathrooms (men and women). When my kids had a stinky diaper I always took it outside to the big trash can, never left them in the building.

That's a really good point, Gwen. Though exclusively nursing babies' diapers don't generally stink. It's the solid food that gets 'em. Personally I have no issue with wet or tiny baby diapers being changed there. It's when someone brings her huge 2 1/2 -year-old that the nursery leader couldn't stand to smell anymore, changes him over my head, then deposits the smell in the pail in front of me while she walks merrily back to RS. :) All because she didn't want to walk all the way around the corner to the bathroom. But I don't want those women to feel singled out, necessarily, I just think it might be good to bring to their attention that they're being kind of inconsiderate.

See, our bathrooms are really small and don't have changing tables. So if anyone is going to change a poopy diaper, it is going to be done in the mothers lounge. It's really the only choice. Unless they want to do it on the floor... And since the bathroom is right next door, its no inconvenience at all that there is no trash can.

They should just plan future buildings with motherhood in mind. Simply build two separate rooms (next to each other) one for changing and the other for nursing. Other wards should be remodeled. If there is one aspect of Mormonism that should be facilitated it is motherhood.

That said, many mothers will simply not be as considerate as Gwen is when it comes to diaper disposal. A quality diaper pail should always be available.