Priesthood Line of Authority

Spartan117

I recently got my line of authority. My friend who ordained me to both Priesthoods never got his line of authority, so when I got mine I forwarded him a copy. I have a few questions though ....

Is my line of authority something that is supposed to be kept personal, like a patriarchal blessing?

When I saw my line of authority for the first time I was surprised to see the names of early church leaders (both the primitive church, and the restoration) on there. I hadn't really thought about it before I got my lineage. It was neat to see all these names, but I'm guessing that it's pretty common, right? Having a few modern day prophets and apostles in your lineage? I'm not trying to brag or boast, I wouldn't have anything to boast about anyway. Just curious, is that okay?

Is there ever a time where I'll have to give a copy to someone? Like if I were to ordain a new convert, would he get a copy? Would I have to give a copy to whoever was presiding over the ordnance?

Many thanks to everyone for their time.

I recently got my line of authority. My friend who ordained me to both Priesthoods never got his line of authority, so when I got mine I forwarded him a copy. I have a few questions though ....

Is my line of authority something that is supposed to be kept personal, like a patriarchal blessing?

When I saw my line of authority for the first time I was surprised to see the names of early church leaders (both the primitive church, and the restoration) on there. I hadn't really thought about it before I got my lineage. It was neat to see all these names, but I'm guessing that it's pretty common, right? Having a few modern day prophets and apostles in your lineage? I'm not trying to brag or boast, I wouldn't have anything to boast about anyway. Just curious, is that okay?

Is there ever a time where I'll have to give a copy to someone? Like if I were to ordain a new convert, would he get a copy? Would I have to give a copy to whoever was presiding over the ordnance?

Everyone's line of authority goes through either Joseph Smith or Oliver Cowdery. They also all go through Peter, James, and John. This is true, at least, of everyone in this dispensation. Most importantly, all of the priesthood lines of authority end at Jesus Christ.

Aside from the name of Christ, the only other name on your line of authority that matters is your own.

You should pass a copy of your line of authority on to any person upon whom you confer the priesthood or ordain to an office. But note that the Church only records lines of authority for ordinations to Elder and High Priest.

Lines of authority are not so private that they can't be shared. In fact, one could argue they were intended to be shared as evidence of valid priesthood authority*.

* While this makes nice evidence, the only evidence you really need is authorization and approval from your stake president / bishop. Clear as mud?

Your Priesthood line of authority is not personal like a patriarchal blessing. As MoE says, it is perfectly acceptably, even necessary, to share it. When you ordain someone, you need to give him your line of authority, because now it's his.

Of course, if you go bragging about this or that person in your line of authority, people will look at you funny and wonder if you brag about who makes your socks, too. And since Jesus Christ is atop the list in any case, other names pretty much pale in comparison, no matter who they are.