Favorite and Least Favorite Doctrines

prisonchaplain

What is your favorite LDS doctrine, and what doctrine taught in traditional Christianity do you dislike the most?

In fairness, I should go first...offering the reverse, of course. The doctrine I most appreciate from traditional Christianity is the belief that the very worst sinner can be redeemed and transformed. The doctrine I least appreciate amongst LDS is the ban on hot drinks (coffee & tea). The latter may seem frivilous, but that is my beef. To my mind, these beverages are neutral, if not beneficial for health, and so the idea that they could keep an otherwise faithful member from the blessings of the temple is difficult to grasp.

BTW, no need to debate this latter point. Obviously, if I was LDS, and believed Joseph Smith absolutely was a modern prophet, I'd accept the WoW, and the doctrine would not be an issue for me.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite: Families can be together forever.

As far as what I dislike about traditional Christianity..let's just say I try and follow the 11th article of faith and let people worship according to their own beliefs. I don't like talking negatively about other beliefs and religions.

My favorite LDS doctrine is Temple work for the dead. Ignorance of the Good News won't keep someone from having a chance of Eternal Life.

The one doctrine I dislike of mainstream Christianity is the Calvanist "TULIP". From my understanding of it, it makes God seem far less loving and Just than I personally understand Him to be from reading Scripture.

ETA: Darn you Pam, now I feel guilty for posting. :P But I generally don't mention my dislike for Calvanism unless straight-out asked. I try to follow the 11th Article of Faith as well. I can disagree but still respect a persons' right to come to a different interpretation of Scripture.

What is your favorite LDS doctrine

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (1 Cor 2:9)

what doctrine taught in traditional Christianity do you dislike the most?

Them Mahrmans wership "Uh Diffrunt Jesus®".

Favorite LDS doctrine? That we keep the doctrines simple... and that it's just harder for most of us to live up to our covenants.

Traditional Christianity? That everyone is going to burn in hell for all of eternity if they don't accept Jesus in this life, including those who have never heard of Jesus. Just sounds like the cards are stacked against those people.

Favorite LDS: Eternal family unit, thing is this ties into a lot of post-mortality doctrines so it's not quite isolated and just 'one'.

Least Favorite Other: Probably TULIP. Now this is based on doctrinal disagreement, if we're talking pet peevy then I'd probably go with Vort.

Edited by Dravin

In fairness, I should go first...offering the reverse, of course. The doctrine I most appreciate from traditional Christianity is the belief that the very worst sinner can be redeemed and transformed. The doctrine I least appreciate amongst LDS is the ban on hot drinks (coffee & tea). The latter may seem frivilous, but that is my beef. To my mind, these beverages are neutral, if not beneficial for health, and so the idea that they could keep an otherwise faithful member from the blessings of the temple is difficult to grasp.

That's only because you own stock in Starbucks. :P

Guest mormonmusic

I'm going to reverse PC's poser, and then reverse my reversal.

Least Favorite LDS Doctrine: One True Church.

Favorite Traditional Christian Belief:

(I got this traditional Christian belief from my father, who is Christian Missionary Alliance member, and former United Church of Canada member (as was I)).

He said "we all come to God, but by different paths". I always liked this because it respects the diversity of people, and provides multiple pathways to life with God. Don't know if it's a traditional Christian bedrock principle, but I always treated it as such.

***Reversal***

Most Favorite LDS Doctrine: You can get closer to God by reading the BoM than any other Book.

Least Favorite Traditional Christian Doctrine: The Bible is the only word of God and there can be no more scripture.

Favorite LDS doctrine - that we must forgive ALL men. No matter what. Or we carry with us the greater sin. This doctrine has helped my wife and I immesurably in the last decade, as we sorted through weighty in-law matters.

Least favorite Christian doctrine - I don't have any beef with mainstream Christian doctrine. Let y'all worship how, where, or what y'all may. If the world had nothing but believing mainstream christians in it, it would be a better world than it is today.

Favorite LDS doctrine is that we are literally the offspring of God. There isn't anything in this world that can come close to touching that truth for beauty, simplicity, and for gaining a solid understanding of scripture, who God is, and how we fit in.

Least favorite mainstream doctrine is that couples cannot be sealed for eternity, that all marriage covenants will dissolve at death. In the grand scheme of things, I can't think of a doctrine more at odds with the Bible, and frankly, one less believable or more cruel.

Favorite: Families can be together forever.

As far as what I dislike about traditional Christianity..let's just say I try and follow the 11th article of faith and let people worship according to their own beliefs. I don't like talking negatively about other beliefs and religions.

Would it be fair to say then that you dislike the fact that some traditional Christian groups find it necessary to target specific religions for conversion?

My favorite LDS doctrine is Temple work for the dead. Ignorance of the Good News won't keep someone from having a chance of Eternal Life.

The one doctrine I dislike of mainstream Christianity is the Calvanist "TULIP". From my understanding of it, it makes God seem far less loving and Just than I personally understand Him to be from reading Scripture.

ETA: Darn you Pam, now I feel guilty for posting. :P But I generally don't mention my dislike for Calvanism unless straight-out asked. I try to follow the 11th Article of Faith as well. I can disagree but still respect a persons' right to come to a different interpretation of Scripture.

I appreciate your frankness...hey I asked for it. I'm not even looking to debate these doctrines, just to see which ones cause the most concern. Would I be right in guessing that the one doctrine from the TULIP that is most destressing is Limited Atonement, meaning that God predestined some souls for eternal damnation?

By the way, while I appreciate the hesitation about criticizing the doctrines of other faith groups, I am hoping that the description "least favorite" allows you to express those doctrines that you find concerning or difficult, without feeling that by mentioning them you are "attacking."

If it helps, I will list a traditional doctrine that is my least favorite--the doctrine of eternal hell. I believe the Bible teaches it, that it is necessary, but I do not "like" it. I would prefer that rebellious souls be annhilated. However, I trust God, and so trust that this doctrine is God's best divine justice.

First of all i would like to express my gratitude for starting such an interesting topic....

Favorite LDS doctrine: A very real, personal relationship with our Heavenly Father and Savior not limited to prophecy, revelation, or guidance. Including a very personal Atonement.

Least favorite contemporary (protestant) Christian belief: An Idea that grace is somehow above works or that they do not go hand in hand, that by simply expressing Christ as your savior you are fit to enter the kingdom of God and everyone else of all creeds is due an endless torment in a fiery hell.

If it helps, I will list a traditional doctrine that is my least favorite--the doctrine of eternal hell. I believe the Bible teaches it, that it is necessary, but I do not "like" it. I would prefer that rebellious souls be annhilated. However, I trust God, and so trust that this doctrine is God's best divine justice.

There is one thing comforting about an eternal hell.

Doctrine and Covenants 29:45 For they love darkness rather than light, and their deeds are evil, and they receive their wages of whom they list to obey.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Those who go there will go by choice, because they love darkness more than light.

This is another beautiful doctrine of the LDS Church. I have heard it said that few will find eternal life, but many will find outer darkness. They use this scripture as basis:

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

There is only one group that will gain eternal life, and that will be those who inheret the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom. All of the others, even the others in the Celestial Kingdom, will be able to progress to a point, but then their progression will cease.

If you term this as "damnation" like a dam stops a river, then it applies perfectly. The goal of the Bible and the whole point of it's teachings is to get a man to eternal life. Anything else isn't considered a worthy goal.

So, from this perspective, yes, there will be many, many more who inherit Terrestrial and Telestial Glory than the upper Celestial degree. But, that doesn't mean there will be many, many more in hell or outer darkness. This is one of the sad beliefs that results from an only heaven and hell interpretation.

In fact, it is taught that the only way to be cast into outer darkness is to first qualify for Celestial Glory, and then reject it. Many will be in hell, but the vast majority will be delivered at the last trump, to gain a kingdom of glory, the Telestial. Joseph SMith saw the Telestial glory and he said it's a far better place, even better beyond descpription, than where we are now.

Favorite LDS: That all people may have daily revelations and even ministering from angels.

Least favorite other: Transubstantiation never sat well with me.

Something I love about mainstream Christianity--they have so many more holidays throughout the year to focus on the life of the Savior. I want to try it this year, starting with Advent. Anyone else game?

Would it be fair to say then that you dislike the fact that some traditional Christian groups find it necessary to target specific religions for conversion?

I think it fair to say that I dislike that there are certain religions that will preach from the pulpit that Mormons are a cult and to beware. At the same time, I dislike saying anything bad about any other religion because that then lowers myself to that standard.

There is truth in almost all religions. Most Christian religions teach love of God and Jesus Christ and becoming like them. I do like that. It's when religions have to put others down, that is what I dislike. Love of God and Jesus Christ is a common theme among almost all Christian religions. Why can't we just all get along and all try to be more Christ like?

I think it fair to say that I dislike that there are certain religions that will preach from the pulpit that Mormons are a cult and to beware. At the same time, I dislike saying anything bad about any other religion because that then lowers myself to that standard.

There is truth in almost all religions. Most Christian religions teach love of God and Jesus Christ and becoming like them. I do like that. It's when religions have to put others down, that is what I dislike. Love of God and Jesus Christ is a common theme among almost all Christian religions. Why can't we just all get along and all try to be more Christ like?

Well, I think you can be respectful of other religions without lowering yourself to calling them cults, or speaking bad about them. For instance, I don't like the doctrine of transubstantiation. That means I'll likely never be Catholic. But it is a part of their doctrine, I support their privilege to believe in it, and I will even encourage Catholics to accept that doctrine.