Favorite and Least Favorite Doctrines

prisonchaplain

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate your frankness...hey I asked for it. I'm not even looking to debate these doctrines, just to see which ones cause the most concern. Would I be right in guessing that the one doctrine from the TULIP that is most destressing is Limited Atonement, meaning that God predestined some souls for eternal damnation?

Limited Atonement is a big part of it, but also Total Depravity.

I'm very happy knowing that you have been brought down to level of pettiness. I've been working on that for four years now!

I suppose now you can move on. You've accomplished what you have set out to do. :lol:

What is your favorite LDS doctrine, and what doctrine taught in traditional Christianity do you dislike the most?

In fairness, I should go first...offering the reverse, of course. The doctrine I most appreciate from traditional Christianity is the belief that the very worst sinner can be redeemed and transformed. The doctrine I least appreciate amongst LDS is the ban on hot drinks (coffee & tea). The latter may seem frivilous, but that is my beef. To my mind, these beverages are neutral, if not beneficial for health, and so the idea that they could keep an otherwise faithful member from the blessings of the temple is difficult to grasp.

BTW, no need to debate this latter point. Obviously, if I was LDS, and believed Joseph Smith absolutely was a modern prophet, I'd accept the WoW, and the doctrine would not be an issue for me.

I'd say for my most favorite doctrines that I've ever heard it woult be a toss up between God's existance and his mercy, and least favorite would be those that short both his mercy and his justice.

There is one thing comforting about an eternal hell. ... Those who go there will go by choice, because they love darkness more than light.

I have an opinion--a speculation--that those who end up in hell, or the outer darkness, would actually try to destroy heaven, if they were allowed in. Since they have set their hearts against God, heaven--a place in which God is literally everywhere (the sun is not needed, since his light lights up the kingdom) would be "hell" to them.

I think it fair to say that I dislike that there are certain religions that will preach from the pulpit that Mormons are a cult and to beware. At the same time, I dislike saying anything bad about any other religion because that then lowers myself to that standard.

There is truth in almost all religions. Most Christian religions teach love of God and Jesus Christ and becoming like them. I do like that. It's when religions have to put others down, that is what I dislike. Love of God and Jesus Christ is a common theme among almost all Christian religions. Why can't we just all get along and all try to be more Christ like?

You would make an excellent chaplain! ;)+

Well, I think you can be respectful of other religions without lowering yourself to calling them cults, or speaking bad about them. For instance, I don't like the doctrine of transubstantiation. That means I'll likely never be Catholic. But it is a part of their doctrine, I support their privilege to believe in it, and I will even encourage Catholics to accept that doctrine.

I would imagine that most thoughtful Catholics would be more than happy to respond to, "You know, the doctrine of transubstantiation does not sit well with me. Could you explain it?" Over the years, I have tried to do that with several LDS doctrines...hopefully with good success.

I have an opinion--a speculation--that those who end up in hell, or the outer darkness, would actually try to destroy heaven, if they were allowed in. Since they have set their hearts against God, heaven--a place in which God is literally everywhere (the sun is not needed, since his light lights up the kingdom) would be "hell" to them.

You know there are elements of D&C 88:22-24 in your post:

22 For he who is not able to abide the law of a celestial kingdom cannot abide a celestial glory.

23 And he who cannot abide the law of a terrestrial kingdom cannot abide a terrestrial glory.

24 And he who cannot abide the law of a telestial kingdom cannot abide a telestial glory; therefore he is not meet for a kingdom of glory. Therefore he must abide a kingdom which is not a kingdom of glory.

Obviously it needs to be condensed from three kingdoms of glory and one of none to one kingdom of glory and one of none but it shares an element with what you posted, namely that those who don't abide God's law can't abide his glory. There are probably other differences but the above scriptures are what popped into my head upon reading your post.

Interesting one...is it because it seems unjust, and could encourage irresponsibility and spiritual procrastination?

If I may place myself into Pam's tiny shoes for a moment I imagine there are a couple elements that bug.

1) Irresponsibility and spiritual procrastination (as you point out).

2) The perception of it being an insincere but effectual 'conversion'.

I suspect #2 is the 'heavier' aspect. The spiritual procrastination is something some take away from even LDS teachings (an attempt to 'game' the system), but I suspect it's the perceived insincere nature of the conversion that grates, because even in LDS Theology there is nothing preventing a deathbed conversion except the necessity it needs to be genuine.

Edited by Dravin

I was just wondering if you had noticed what seems to me so many people who seem absolutely "hooked" on coffee ? Maybe it is the caffeine in it? Maybe it is something else, like how hot they are when hitting the mouth, etc? --- We have had workers and commercial fishing crew who couldn't seem to function unless they had their "fix" on their diet Pepsi or Coke, AND their chewing tobacco! It was so sad that they were addicted, and running their bodies on high speed. -- I wonder if anybody has done any recent studies on this?

It is like when asked for my favorite color, I usually say the rainbow, as it all depends on so many different things. Some days blue, some days yellow, or green!

The same with foods, I unfortunately crave sweets and carbs, like bread, and ice cream, but how does one choose just one?:confused:

---- How much harder is it to choose a favorite doctrine of Christianity as a whole!!!

I love the doctrine of repentance, and that we are ALL spirit children of God the Father so Jesus Christ is our Elder brother, and after this life (boarding school!) we can return home to Heaven and be with our loved ones-- that marriage can be eternal! (I know WAY too much!)

---- I think the MOST sad thing I see in other churches is the teaching that to me TOTALLY cheats the believers --- that all they have to do is say the few words (lip service?) that they accept Jesus Christ as their Savior, and cha--ching-- it is ALL done! NOTHING more is needed and they can't ever be lost, no matter what they do! :eek:

--- I believe that believing Jesus is the Christ is the FIRST step, and then we must see what he said to do, like "repent and be baptized" "love one another" "and endure to the end" ETC!

If we truely love the Savior, we will want to learn all about him and OBEY him! :)

FOURTEEN FUNDAMENTALS IN FOLLOWING THE PROPHET

BY

ELDER Ezra Taft Benson

February 26, 1980

Summary:

First: The prophet is the only man who speaks for the Lord in everything.

Second: The living prophet is more vital to us than the standard works.

Third: The living prophet is more important to us than a dead prophet.

Fourth: The prophet will never lead the Church astray.

Fifth: The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or credentials to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time.

Sixth: The prophet does not have to say "Thus saith the Lord" to give us scripture.

Seventh: The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know.

Eighth: The prophet is not limited by men's reasoning.

Ninth: The prophet can receive revelation on any matter, temporal or spiritual.

Tenth: The prophet may be involved in civic matters.

Eleventh: The two groups who have the greatest difficulty in following the prophet are the proud who are learned and the proud who are rich.

Twelfth: The prophet will not necessarily be popular with the world or the worldly.

Thirteenth: The prophet and his counselors make up the First Presidency--the highest quorum in the Church.

Fourteenth: The prophet and the presidency--the living prophet and the First Presidency--follow them and be blessed; reject them and suffer.

Sorry- I didn't mean to start a new thread (I don't even know how to do that ?)---

and I didn't want to "debate" about Prison Chaplins not getting why coffee and tea were on list,

but just had that side thought for him? (I get so little time on here, that I need to learn how to send messages that aren't on the wall or something--) and now I need to go home to eat some lunch too. hope to be back soon, maybe this evening I'll get some online time :)

I was just wondering if you had noticed what seems to me so many people who seem absolutely "hooked" on coffee ? Maybe it is the caffeine in it? Maybe it is something else, like how hot they are when hitting the mouth, etc? --- We have had workers and commercial fishing crew who couldn't seem to function unless they had their "fix" on their diet Pepsi or Coke, AND their chewing tobacco! It was so sad that they were addicted, and running their bodies on high speed. -- I wonder if anybody has done any recent studies on this?

I promised not to debate doctrines or impressions in this string, and I won't. Caffeine is a stimulant, and there is an addictive quality to it. In the 1970s - 1990s there seemed to be studies out showing possible problems with coffee. In the last 15 years it seems the studies have gone the other way (antioxidants and fiber in coffee, etc.)

I'd never try to cajole someone into drinking coffee or tea, and the WoW would not be the make or break factor in my decision to convert or not...