Favorite and Least Favorite Doctrines

prisonchaplain

Despised: I'm not sure how mainstream Christian this is or becoming, but I truly despise Prosperity Theology.

It's fair game. "Traditional Christianity" covers the whole spectrum of Catholicism, and Protestantism, Orthodox. None of the doctrines mentioned so far would fit ALL of traditional Christianity. In fact, most of them I do not subscribe to. Nevertheless, to a certain extent, we do respond to what people think we believe, don't we?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despised: I'm not sure how mainstream Christian this is or becoming, but I truly despise Prosperity Theology.

For those unfamiliar with this teaching, I found a site that seems to offer a promotion of it: Prosperity - BetOnJesus - will He come back? You bet!

Favorite LDS doctrine – We are the literal Children of our Father in Heaven and he loves us all.

Annoying Christian doctrine – Their belief in an exclusive right to be called Christian and to define others based on their narrow shifting collectivist terminology

As a side note, I have had occasion to witness respect and even reverence expressed by highly educated and successful non-members when referring to “Mormons”.

So it’s unfortunate, but perhaps if we were to officially be granted the “Christian” label, the good renown would become somewhat diluted..hehe

This sentence from the site you linked, PC, caught my eye.

He will come back with a sword sticking out of His mouth -- at a time revealed to BetOnJesus and He will give every believer glorified bodies.

So, "BetOnJesus" ministries teaches "give us your money and you will prosper" and that they will know when Christ is going to return?

Thanks for posting the link, I found it very entertaining.

I never said it was intellectually rigorous...just representative of 'prosperity teaching.' ... Okay, so yeah...the site may well be satire...That's what I get for judging a site by the first page...WOW...LOL...I'm pretty sure this is a spoof site.

Kenneth Copeland has been teaching prosperity for decades...so maybe this is a better representation.

True Prosperity | Kenneth Copeland Ministries

I keep this up and I'm going to start sputtering like a presidential candidate. :-)

Edited by prisonchaplain

My favorite LDS doctrine, that everyone can enjoy the benefits of the atonement (in this life or after).

One of the things that annoys me is when other christians focus on 'accepting jesus as your savior' and then teach little or nothing after that. I think that there is so much more to being 'saved' than saying a single prayer, but I see christians doing back flips to get people to say a single prayer accepting jesus, and then walk away dusting their hands off as if they have done this wonderful thing. Secondly, I can't believe that there are actually people out there who believe that if a person doesn't 'accept jesus' and/or be baptized before they die that they go to hell. Huh? Seriously? I can't imagine that Heavenly Father would allow a large amount of his children (like aboriginal (sp?) austrailians, and tribes of people living in south america) who NEVER had the opportunity to hear about Jesus to simply go to hell. That does not compute.

Sorry if I'm duplicating other responses, I didn't read them before posting... :)

Favorite LDS doctrine: We can return to our Father in Heaven in family units and there is more to life- after-death than going to Heaven and sitting on a cloud and playing a harp.

Least favorite Christian belief: Belief that little children are sinners. Is that Original Sin? When I was a full time missionary in Germany, working on a street board, a young couple with their little baby in a stroller, came up to me and started talking about this concept. The father said, "Look at our baby. I can see sin in her." And the young mother nodded her head in agreement. This has stuck with me even to this day. All I could see was a beautiful, innocent child.

Here are the most common Christian doctrines folks here find troubling. I'm going to put links to each one, so that interested people can read about them from sources that defend them.

1. TULIP (aka Calvinism): The Five Points of Calvinism | The Calvinist Corner

2. Those who do not accept Jesus into their hearts will go to hell, even if they never heard about him: What About Those Who Have Never Heard? - Focus on the Family

3. Once Saved Always Saved: OSAS, The Whole Story | GraceThruFaith

4. Salvation cannot be earned: How can salvation be not of works when faith is required? Isn't believing a work?

Probably the true number one are those who say Mormons are not Christians. I will not post links to that teaching...we have TOS.

Edited by prisonchaplain

Probably the true number one are those who say Mormons are not Christians. I will not post links to that teaching...we have TOS.

At it's heart I'm not sure it needs a link. It stems from the concept that one can only get so far away from a true concept of deity and still be worshiping him. It's just the dividing line is being pegged on the trinity where LDS are more liberal with it. We're also less trigger happy with the word cult it seems, probably as a result of being on the receiving end of it.

Edited by Dravin

Dravin...you make a great point. For those interested in studying such things, there was a group with a strong leader (Herbert W. Armstrong) that also garnered the "cult" label. Ironically, when its leader died, they went completely traditional: A Short History of Grace Communion International | Grace Communion International

I have waited to post concerning this thread while I put my thoughts together. I am thinking along the line of the first and great commandment. So that when I give what I like or find most enlightening; it is at the core of all subsequent concepts, ideas and doctrines that draws me (and others) closer to understanding, believing in and having faith in G-d. In contrast, my thinking of least favorite “main stream” doctrine – I have selected that which develops core concepts, ideas and doctrines that would draw me (and others) away from understanding, believing in and having faith in G-d.

Therefore, I voice as best I can the importance of the LDS doctrine that Jesus Christ is the example in all ways of that which is divine and worthy of our faith and worship. And that this understanding is made even more complete by the LDS implicit believe that Jesus is also the complete example in all things of all that all mankind ought to be and will be as the natural and only possibility as we become studious and devout disciples of our master Jesus Christ – Thus as Jesus is G-d so shall those that believe in him and follow him will also inevitably become G-d.

In contrast the concept and doctrine I find most disturbing in main stream Christian thinking and doctrine that I believe is the source of all doctrines to alienate us from our loving and compassionate G-d; is that there is an inseparable gap, gulf or essence of something that will always and eternally ensure that man is distinctly inferior to and therefore forever unlike and foreign in one way or another to G-d.

In general it is my understanding that for the most part, other more popular and therefore main stream religions take the opposite stand on these points as their worse concern and worry about the danger of LDS theology.

The Traveler

Like Traveler, I have been taking some time to think about this thread. The question seems simple, but at its heart I find something very interesting and important- in identifying what I "like" most about LDS teachings and what I like least about Traditional Christianity, I would essentially be identifying why I believe the LDS church to be true. And that is something that is not so entirely simple... because there is no one doctrine that covers the "why" in my belief.

In all of my religious studies, I have found this overwhelming sense that the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are simply more complete than other Christian teachings. It is as though this church has been able to piece together more of the puzzle of life and come closer to the whole that is God, and truth, and life eternal. If I had to boil it down to one thing... I think I would have to say that the Plan of Salvation is what best outlines the completeness of LDS doctrine- and the purpose of our lives on earth. It tells us where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going. It covers topics in full detail that other Christian churches seem to only have pieces of and paints a greater picture than does Traditional Christianity.

This Plan of Salvation completes many incomplete teachings of Traditional Christianity that I don't necessarily dislike- but find lacking without this doctrine. The nature of God is defined, as is our own divine nature. Original sin is refuted. The requirements for salvation are clarified. The dichotomy of good and evil, right and wrong, sin and righteousness is explained. I cannot think of any Traditional Christian teaching that I would consider my "least favorite". I can only think of the many many teachings that seem to either be corrected or completed when viewed through the eye of LDS teachings.

Guest gopecon

Favorite teaching - the mercy and justice of God, in that we are judged according to our knowledge. Children and those who don't reach accountability are innocent, and no one will be cast off without an opportunity to accept the Savior.

Least liked "traditional" Christian teaching would be the ones that run counter to the above. I'm also not big on some aspects of Calvinism (predestination w/o free will sounds so hopeless if you're not elect and total depravity is depressing).

Traveler, one aspect of your post that I especially appreciate is that you do not shy away the foundational LDS doctrine that we can become Gods. The teaching is shocking to most traditionalists, and I perceive that many LDS shy away from discussing the belief in interfaith conversations. I will grant you that I find this doctrine difficult. On the other hand, it is intriguing. I wonder if the magnitude of the doctrine is such that even some of your fellow members fail to embrace it boldly.

Guest gopecon

PC - I think many of us stay away from that doctrine on boards like this is that 1) We truly don't know that much about it, aside from being told that it could happen for us someday, and 2) It is hard to publicly talk about something like that without being accused of immense hubris and of wanting to dethrone God. While I believe that progression to this level is possible for us, it is so incomprehensibly huge relative to where we are now that it's a backburner issue. I've (hopefully) got a lot of life left to enjoy and endure to the end of before I even need to worry about the incomprehensible details of eternity.

Hidden

Great topic btw PC.

I agree with gopecon. I don't think we discuss it much and honestly I've never, in all my years, heard it discussed in any depth from the pulpit or in a lesson. I have never heard myself in church or church conference someone flat out say we can or will become Gods. It's mentioned briefly in discussions only in light of our potential as literal offspring of God but that's it. Our relationship with God will never change.

Great topic btw PC.

I wonder if the magnitude of the doctrine is such that even some of your fellow members fail to embrace it boldly.

I agree with gopecon. I don't think we discuss it much and honestly I've never, in all my years, heard it discussed in any depth from the pulpit or in a lesson. With my own ears I have never heard someone in church or church conference flat out say we can or will become Gods. It's mentioned briefly in discussions only in light of our potential as literal offspring of God but that's it. I think it's reverence, humility and yes the magnitude of the doctrine that prevents those who are LDS and not insane(disclaimer) from dwelling on it even amongst ourselves.

When we grow up and become parents on the earth, we do not "de throne" our own parents, but work to follow in their good footsteps. My parents will always be my parents. :)

--- It is sad how our teachings are so often distorted and taken out of context by those who wish to destroy Gods work.

I also find it interesting that so MANY of the Anti seem to have nothing they claim is better to take its place, and if the DO think so, how about they praise what they have that they like and let the "consumer" decide for themselves? ;0

Yes, one of my (there are SO many-- I can't choose JUST one :)

favorites is that we are in a FAMILY relationship with our God.

Jesus said to Mary, after he was resurrected, I go to my father and your father, my God and your God. :)

--- Yes, sometimes I have wanted to cry on the shoulder of my Father in Heaven and have him hold me close and tell me I CAN get through the hard times.

My own father had a hard time to every compliment anyone, or say loving words but I knew he loved us, as he worked for us and with us.

Once after I was married, he signed a letter "love Dad" and in reading it I burst into tears, and when my husband asked what was wrong. I could only point at the sweet words! Finally I was able to tell my sweetheart what they meant to me. I work hard to often tell my family that I love them so!

Even as I started this string, I was concerned that it could degenerate into debate and contention. I tried to set the parameters so that would not happen. Part of that has meant "thanking" many of the posts. I do want to thank all who have and are participating. I am learning a lot, and we've succeeded in keeping the string open and inviting. KUDOS TO US!!!