Sources for Supplies

lds2

I just thought I would share this supply place that I found for humanitarian kits.

Many of these things are also useful in general for 72 hour kits, etc.

Christmas/Shower Present Ideas...Like I have bought the diapers, diaper pins and plastic pants and given them to family/friends for a "just in case" present. Even without a major calamity people can run out of disposables (okay running out of diapers can be a calamity) and they are better than using your towels, etc.

Hygiene Kits - if you don't have one already in your 72 hour kit it would be a good idea to have them. Having fresh breath, combed hair and being able to at least sponge bathe can be a great thing when you have been outside for a time...

Home page Mandalay International

These aren't the best quality but they are adequate for an emergency, etc.

On-line store for "starter kits", rice, wheat, oatmeal, etc. To have "home storage" delivered to you or your kids (as gifts?)

Starter Kit - LDS Online Store

You can save a great deal by walking in and buying the cases (already canned and waiting) at the "home storage centers"

See "home storage order form" on the right side of this page for current items and prices...

https://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage?lang=eng

As well as buying cases of cans at the canneries of a variety of foods...you may be able to buy the cans locally and use your "stake" canner to can other dry goods. [My kids favorite is candy (bought on clearance)...this is the only way I can get it to last until I need it with my big and little snackers around...]

Here's a link to find the "home storage center" formerly known as the "dry-pack cannery" near you...Home Storage Centers

Note: current providentliving.org recommendations are 25 lbs of grains and 5 lbs of beans as a subsistence level, longer-term month supply of food (~1430 calories per day). A year supply would be around 12 starter kits or 300 lbs of grains and 60 lbs of beans. We are asked to store as much as circumstances allow (as led by the Spirit and without going into debt), and to have extra as well to help neighbors and your bishop feed the needy if there is a calamity. Remember you can sprout most grains if you can't cook them to eat, but eat just a bit at a time until your body gets used to it. After the basics further recommendations are for, "You may also want to add other items to your longer-term storage such as sugar, nonfat dry milk, salt, baking soda, and cooking oil. To meet nutritional needs, also store foods containing vitamin C and other essential nutrients." Found here: https://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage/longer-term-food-supply?lang=eng#2

Edited by lds2

Their products are found at stores like Costco and Sam's (on-line) as well as Wal-mart (at least in Utah) as well as grocery stores such as Macey's. They have a retail store in Salt Lake City as well. I believe they also sell on-line.

Costco - Your search for "augason" produced 15 results.

Sam's Club

They also have a retail store, and they often have sales. Get on their e-mail mailing list and you can hear about them. Usually they have at least one 40% off sale at the retail store each year with better deals on clearance items. Also check out their dented cans for three month supply stuff.

Retail Store, 1833 S 3850 W, SLC, UT 84104

801-263-6667 or 800-878-0099

[email protected]

Store Hours are 9:00 am-5:00 pm, Monday through Friday

Edited by lds2

They have stores in SLC, Northern Utah, Arizona and California.

I have noticed that most other stores buy their beans from them and then mark them up substantially. They have kidney beans, Adzuki beans, lentils, split and whole peas, etc. etc.

They also have many preparedness items at competitive prices like grinders, flakers and Sun Ovens, buckets and mylar bags for them, empty #10 cans, etc.

They have grains you don't always find at other places in bulk like kamut, quinoa, rye, oat groats, barley, etc. As well as smaller packages of rare grains like teff. Their price on wheat is always competitive.

They also have on-line sales with reasonable shipping.

Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Freeze Dried Food

But you will save a HUGE amount if you buy the foods at their retail stores, locations found here...

Honeyville Farms Retail Stores

If you buy a lot at their retail stores, get on their loyalty program before you start shopping and you will get about 5 percent back. Get on their e-mail list as well to hear about their current sales and they often have coupons you can print out as well.

Check out their classes, they often have chef's and other experts in to show how to use their products.

Edited by lds2

Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage

Emergency Essentials sometimes has some really good sales, e.g. sometimes they sell their dented cans all at once at their retail stores. You hear about them if you are on their mailing list. Their Black Friday Christmas sales are also usually good.

They also have retail stores mostly in Utah and also sell on-line...

Emergency Essentials - Food Storage Emergency Preparedness Emergency Kits

Edited by lds2

This company sells containers to the public and I have found them consistently cheaper than the sale prices at most other stores. For instance you can get a 6 gallon "super-pail" for around $5 including the lid. They also carry gamma lids, water containers, honey bottles, PETE bottles (can use oxygen absorbers with these) and many other glass and plastic containers.

Industrial Container

1845 South 5200 West

Salt Lake City, UT 84104

Hours: Monday Thru Friday

8:00am to 4:30pm

If you go there don't miss going to the Mrs Field's Outlet store that is further East...they have cool outlet priced gift boxes and they sell ice cream, cookies and they give tours of their cookie making facilities.

Edited by lds2

Remember when buying items in #10 cans...they can be half empty so it is essential that you compare prices as well as quantity. Some of the higher end "emergency preparedness stores" (The Ready Store, Thrive) say they only source in the US and their cans are often fuller.

Thank you for thee resources. I'm not exactly a beans and ammo person, but I do believe in preparedness. I've had promptings to get our storage in order in advance of both of my husband's layoff periods in the last decade. This time I didn't heed it. We've been okay, but we wouldn't have gone into our savings at all if I'd had more put away. He's about to start a good short-term contract job, so while we have some cash flow I intend to fill the pantry and storage closet again.

• 2 weeks later...

Besides Augason #10 cans they also sell many items in bulk that you won't find elsewhere...Here are a few of my favorite things...la, la, la, la...la, la, la, la...

Sam's Club Consistently the low price leader for excellent bulk popcorn!

I have bought some of their spices in GALLON containers

Bulk Candy

Rice/Beans/Sugar/Flour/Salt/Yeast

Shortening/Oils

etc.

Costco

Again they have Rice/Beans/Sugar/Salt/Flour/Yeast, etc. which are often cheaper than the LDS Home Storage Centers

Many different kinds of bulk oils, but I buy Crisco and olive oil most often as they store longest

Large containers of spices

Edited by lds2

They sometimes have some good sales (Black Friday) and dented cans...their quality is supposed to be very good and they claim to fill their cans more than most. This is not a "discount" store by any means...perhaps why their retail store is located in Draper?

The Ready Store - Emergency Preparedness, Food Storage, MRE's, and Freeze Dried Food!

They have a wider selection of foods than most...like pilot crackers, FD Cauliflower, Peanut Flour, etc.

Edited by lds2

There are many consultants around eager to host parties, etc., but here is their on-line site...

Thrive Food Storage; Canned Grains, Vegetables and Fruits

Shipping is expensive and you pay it regardless if it is a party or not (at least in my area), but if you can pick your order up yourself in American Fork you can save yourself that expense.

Also Costco sells Thrive products (sometimes in store) and on-line...

Costco - Your search for "thrive" produced 21 results.

Edited by lds2

• 3 months later...

My friend recently bought heirloom and other garden seeds in bulk from a mostly on-line seed company and when she went to the shipping found that she could pick them up near the SLC Costco.

Wholesale, Bulk, Flower, Vegetable Seeds by Mountain Valley Seed

of course farm supply stores also sell bulk seeds in the spring if you aren't looking for "heirloom" type seeds.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you live near a Honeyville store you might check to see if they offer the cooking with stored foods classes. I know that the SLC store has them every day or two...although I have only travelled to see one of these, the one I saw was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For whatever reason two of the stores on this list had limited supply of the things I normally buy last time I went in. You might call ahead before making a trip to make sure that what you want is currently in stock. One of the stores said they would back order for me.

So now is still a very good time to get what you want although for some things you may have to order and then wait.

• 1 month later...

FYI - The Salt Lake Honeyville store has moved and is now spitting distance (almost) from the downtown Costco.

This is the store where I have gotten the best prices on some varieties of beans (not offered at the LDS cannery) and has a great variety of grains.

"We've moved to bring food storage and baking ingredients closer to you! Our new location can be found where the I-80 meets the I-15 freeway in between Costco and Home Depot.

Honeyville Farms

389 West 1830 South

Salt Lake City, Utah 84115."

Edited by lds2

• 3 months later...