What Do You Think Of My Beliefs About: The Bible?

prisonchaplain

I'm preparing to teach a Sunday School class (adults) that will first focus on my own church's teachings about fundamental doctrines. After the two-week "Crash Course on the Fundamentals," we're going to explore how other churches view our doctrines. The first group we'll compare with is the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints. Fear not, as the main part of the curriculum, I'll use http://www.mormon.org, and perhaps secondarily, FAIR and FARMS. However, there may be some interesting thoughts and impressions you have as well.

While I doubt my class will be converting en masse to the COJCLDS, I've already stated that our goal is more to better understand what we believe in contrast to other groups, rather than to debunk or "bash" anyone else.

To me, it's like visiting another country for several months, and then returning home. You see yourself and your community in ways you never have! (Returning Missionaries should be able to shout up an AMEN! on that one. :D )

So, here we go. Here is the official condensed version of the doctrine of the Scriptures, as published by the General Council of the Assemblies of God.

We believe . . . The Scriptures are inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.

P.C.,

I would love to sit in on that class. Can you e-mail me class notes?

Thank you,

Dr. T

I'll post the ones specific to the LDS, once I've finalized them. I can email you the other ones as well (anyone else who wants them, feel free to email or PM your request. I'm a public domain kinda guy. :sparklygrin: )

<div class='quotemain'>

We believe . . . The Scriptures are inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.

I agree!

I realized this one was "too easy." LDS do not disagree with other Christians about the inspiration of Scriptures, but rather what constitutes Scripture, and who gets to decide. :idea:

Here's my rough explanation as to why the canon is correct as it is, with the 66 books common to all Bibles, and minus the deutercanonical (Catholic) additions.

1. First, don't take Job out. I love Job. He's a patron saint for prisoners (not literally--I'm not Catholic).

2. Simply, God wanted to communicate with his people, both through prophets, teachers, pastors (call them bishops if you like), and through the written word.

3. One promise of Scripture is that his word would not pass away.

4. So, it seems logical that God would assure that his church had the correct compilation.

5. So, the Old Testament religous leaders got the OT right, imho.

6. Likewise, the NT leaders and their descendents in the 4th century got it right.

7. The medieval additions of the Catholic books seem to be motivated by a desire to foster support for Catholic distinctive doctrines, such as purgatory, rather than by a legitimate reconsideration of worthy candidates (I admit this is my impression, and worthy Catholic scholars could defend their views with at least some considerable persuasiveness).

8. I agree with Prof. Blomberg, who, in dialogue with a BYU professor, suggested that the canon could theoritically still be open, but that in practice, it isn't.

9. Even Pentecostals and Charismatics, who believe in the gift of prophecy, would urge believers to check any modern prophecies against the already established canon of Scripture. In other words, the latest revelation is subject to the Bible, rather than us assuming that the revelation is true, and that it further explains "precious truths" that are missing.

If I understand what your saying correctly: God would not allow His word to be misrepresented, and so they must have gotten it right? :dontknow: Josh B)

Close. Of course, God's word can be misrepresented. We question many of the passages in the New World Translation, for example. Also, many Christians were upset by Reader's Digest for producing a condensed Bible. But, God will not allow His word to be lost to us. So, it's easy to accept that we got the canon right. Translations are a matter that there is plenty of peer review for. Most translations do quite well, and there really is very little argument that is substantive.

Also, remember that even LDS accept the Protestant Bible as canon, and an integral part of their Standard Works. Their only argument is that the canon is not closed, and that the Triple is also Scripture.

• 1 year later...

I'm preparing to teach a Sunday School class (adults) that will first focus on my own church's teachings about fundamental doctrines. After the two-week "Crash Course on the Fundamentals," we're going to explore how other churches view our doctrines. The first group we'll compare with is the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints. Fear not, as the main part of the curriculum, I'll use Mormon.org, and perhaps secondarily, FAIR and FARMS. However, there may be some interesting thoughts and impressions you have as well.

While I doubt my class will be converting en masse to the COJCLDS, I've already stated that our goal is more to better understand what we believe in contrast to other groups, rather than to debunk or "bash" anyone else.

To me, it's like visiting another country for several months, and then returning home. You see yourself and your community in ways you never have! (Returning Missionaries should be able to shout up an AMEN! on that one. :D )

So, here we go. Here is the official condensed version of the doctrine of the Scriptures, as published by the General Council of the Assemblies of God.

I didnt know any other religon beleived he had a "plan" for mankind? I always am left with the impression that "christians" {other than l.d.s}, simply beleive the lords plan to be "love me" beleive in me" "trust in me" give everything to me", if ye do this then ye are saved, is this not true? What is the "plan" you reffer too. And i also admire your outlook on the discussion you are going to have it sounds really interesting, but i do not understand your plan thing?.:huh:

Yes I agree with that statement.

Confusion may very well arise though when the statement is expanded by the question - "What is scripture?" because of course as LDS we regard many more things as scripture than the Authorised version of the Bible.

Sounds like a great class.

Guest Xzain

8. I agree with Prof. Blomberg, who, in dialogue with a BYU professor, suggested that the canon could theoritically still be open, but that in practice, it isn't.

9. Even Pentecostals and Charismatics, who believe in the gift of prophecy, would urge believers to check any modern prophecies against the already established canon of Scripture. In other words, the latest revelation is subject to the Bible, rather than us assuming that the revelation is true, and that it further explains "precious truths" that are missing.

Amen to that. It's the (I believe) most honest interperetation of the Bible I have ever seen (partially in consequence, after reading "How Wide the Divide?" co-authored by Profs. Blomberg and Robinson I have great respect for Prof. Blomberg).

I don't know if you've already taught your class or not, but it sounds like you've really gotten your resources straight- good luck!

So far so good.

You being a long time member and moderator of this board, I would feel fairly comfortable that you would present an honest and fair(nuetral) comparison, and hopefully not let things get out of hand when others try to interpret what we believe.

Amen to that. It's the (I believe) most honest interperetation of the Bible I have ever seen (partially in consequence, after reading "How Wide the Divide?" co-authored by Profs. Blomberg and Robinson I have great respect for Prof. Blomberg).

I don't know if you've already taught your class or not, but it sounds like you've really gotten your resources straight- good luck!

This string was resurrected by another poster...the class took place two years ago. :D

I didnt know any other religon beleived he had a "plan" for mankind? I always am left with the impression that "christians" {other than l.d.s}, simply beleive the lords plan to be "love me" beleive in me" "trust in me" give everything to me", if ye do this then ye are saved, is this not true? What is the "plan" you reffer too. And i also admire your outlook on the discussion you are going to have it sounds really interesting, but i do not understand your plan thing?.:huh:

The plan of salvation is hinted at in Genesis 3:15. We believe that God has foreknowledge, and that our agency or free will does not interfere with God's ultimate plan of salvation for us, nor the establishment of his eternal kingdom.

Guest Xzain

This string was resurrected by another poster...the class took place two years ago. :D

ROFL... next time I should check the original posting times, eh?

Still, I agree it sounds like it was an A+ class.

PrisonCHAP

Just read through the rest, read some last night too.....

My first question to you is do you feel Jesus Christ is God the Son?

What is it that you are really wanting to teach your students?

What are the age ranges?

How are you able to maintain your own belief at the same time as mizing other beliefs into it? That has been so hard for me in studying other faiths, denominations and religions. Always looking for more tools to be objective as you are trying to be....... This has been a great read for me. Thanks