What Do You Think About My Beliefs About: God's Nature?

prisonchaplain

*Makes funny face that isn't found on the list*

Like, we can become like God???

It is my understanding that Mormons believe God came from a god, who came from a god...and so on....

and one day...we will all become gods, and have other gods....

correct me If I'm wrong.....( I know you just love doing that ;) )

Josh B)

I never heard that before ever.

You'd think of that was a mormon belief, I would know, being a mormon, eh?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!" (Deut. 6:4)

Yes...the "God" they spoke of in the old Testiment was Jesus Christ...and they were instructed to worship one God....this scripture mentions nothing of a trinity!

* "I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God." (Isa. 45:5)

True...again Christ is the God of the old Testiment....he is doing exactly his fathers will because the Father cannot be in the company of sin or uncleanliness...but Christ could because at the time he was just a spirit and was not a glorified being...this does not mean Christ was the Father...he was acting on behalf of the Father!

* There is no God but one. (1Cor. 8:4)

True again....only one God the Father!

* And after being baptized, Jesus went up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased." (Matt. 3:16-17)

Absolutely true....lets see, you have Christ...the Holy Spirit as a dove and the Heavens opening and the Father addressing the people regarding his son....three distinct beings...no trinity here...Jesus was not God the Father! However they were absolutely one in purpose!

* "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." (Matt. 28:19)

YES....again...three distinct persons...it doesn't say baptise them in the name of God...it says Father, Son, Holy Spirit!

* Jesus said: "I and the Father are one." (John 10:30)

Yes again! Christ and the Father are one in purpose...Christ was doing the Fathers will...exactly as the Father wanted it done!

* "He who has seen Me has seen the Father." (John 14:9)

I agree....they look the same, act the same and are one in purpose....makes sense to me!

* "He who beholds Me beholds the One who sent Me." (John 12:45)

Now this really makes sense.....the one who sent me...the Father...he didn't say he sent himself...again, look at the answer to the above scripture!

* If anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. (Rom. 8:9)

Baptism by Water and the Spirit (fire)...the gift of the Holy Ghost comes by the laying on of the hands and the Spirit will reside with him who was Baptised.....in other words if you are not baptised by water and the Spirit (fire) you are not one of his (Christs) sheep (followers) or members of his church! Simple!

* "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for that which has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit." (Matt. 1:20)

What does this have to do with your trinity? It just proves that the Holy Spirit is a seperate being....

* And the angel answered and said to her [Mary], "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy offspring shall be called the Son of God." (Luke 1:35)

Again....the Holy Spirit and the offspring (Christ)...two seperate and distince beings....

* [Jesus speaking to His disciples] "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you, and will be in you." ... "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him, and make Our abode with him." (John 14:16-17, 23)

This is too easy....this disproves the doctrine of the Trinity absolutely.....Christ layed his hands upon the Apostles heads and gave them the gift of the Holy Ghost to be a constant companion to them as long as they keep the commandments...and if they keep the commandments the will of the Father and Son will be made known to them through the Spirit....if they are unfaithfull this cannot happen as the Spirit will leave their presence. And again...Christ is talking about his Father and the Spirit as seperate beings.....why does this not make sense to you?

Remember when Christ was in agony on the Cross and he look to the heavens and asked God "Why has thou forsaken me" was he talking to himself? If you believe the trinity doctrine he was. And again...in the Garden of Gesthemane he was asking whom to take away this bitter cup?...himself? Or his Father....It makes absolute sense to me....you have God the Father, his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit....three distinct beings with only one purpose to direct the will of God the Father...the one and only God...Jesus Christ and the Spirit are not God they do however have the power to act for God with all God's Power.....this is where people who believe in the trinity get confused....make sense to you now?

<div class='quotemain'>

I am not sure what you are getting at...

I'm getting the impression from your posts that you believe God the Father is only God, but the verses from the Alma, D&C 20 and John 1:1 shows that all 3 persons of the Godhead are one God. That's what I'm getting at.

M.

eeeeeeeeeee that is way too confusing.

Thank you tons Brother Dorsey!!!!!!!!

This is too easy....this disproves the doctrine of the Trinity absolutely.....Christ layed his hands upon the Apostles heads and gave them the gift of the Holy Ghost to be a constant companion to them as long as they keep the commandments...and if they keep the commandments the will of the Father and Son will be made known to them through the Spirit....if they are unfaithfull this cannot happen as the Spirit will leave their presence. And again...Christ is talking about his Father and the Spirit as seperate beings.....why does this not make sense to you?

I believe Brother Dorsey you do not understand the true definition of the Trinity.

...you have God the Father, his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit....three distinct beings with only one purpose to direct the will of God the Father...the one and only God...Jesus Christ and the Spirit are not God they do however have the power to act for God with all God's Power.....this is where people who believe in the trinity get confused....make sense to you now?

Then explain to me the meanings of these verses from the BofM and the D&C:

Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but every thing shall be arestored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the bFather, and the Holy Spirit, which is cone Eternal God, to be djudged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil. (Alma 11:44)

Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are aone God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen. (D&C 20:28)

M.

It is my understanding that Mormons believe God came from a god, who came from a god...and so on....

and one day...we will all become gods, and have other gods....

correct me If I'm wrong.....( I know you just love doing that ;) )

I'll answer that Josh....in the Bible (I haven't time to look up the scripture) it states that we can all inheret what God has....and what does God have?....Godhood...pretty simple....the LDS faith or should I say, with the restores Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Fullness of the Gospel, we have been given instruction as to how to accomplish the task of being worthy to possibly receive this inheritance. We have been told through direct revelation from a prophet of God that "As we are, God once was and as God is, we may become". Think about it...would not this be God's inheritance? would not our Father in heaven want us to be able to have what he has? Does he really love us that much? Would Heaven be Heaven if we could not progress, grow and become as our Father? Dosen't this just make sense to you? As a mamber of Christs true church upon this Earth I know, not just believe that these things can and will come to pass.

<div class='quotemain'>

I am not sure what you are getting at...

I'm getting the impression from your posts that you believe God the Father is only God, but the verses from the Alma, D&C 20 and John 1:1 shows that all 3 persons of the Godhead are one God. That's what I'm getting at.

M.

Morning Maureen...I'll answer that.....As LDS we believe there is one God...God the Father....however we also believe that Jesus Christ and The Holy Spirit act on behalf of God the Father with all Gods power to do the Fathers will exactly. That is why we say there are three distinct personages in the Godhead.

Morning Maureen...I'll answer that.....As LDS we believe there is one God...God the Father....however we also believe that Jesus Christ and The Holy Spirit act on behalf of God the Father with all Gods power to do the Fathers will exactly. That is why we say there are three distinct personages in the Godhead.

Then explain Alma 11:44 & D&C 20:28 to me - they are posted on this thread if you don't want to look them up. Thanks!

M.

Then explain to me the meanings of these verses from the BofM and the D&C:

Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but every thing shall be arestored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the bFather, and the Holy Spirit, which is cone Eternal God, to be djudged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil. (Alma 11:44)

Simple....the Father has given Christ and the Spirit his power to act on his behalf....they are one with the Father...but they are not the Father.

Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are aone God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen. (D&C 20:28)

Again....one in porpose....the power of the Father that was given Christ and the Spirit is used to direct the Fathers will exactly as the Father wishes....exactly one in purpose.

M.

I'll answer that Josh....in the Bible (I haven't time to look up the scripture) it states that we can all inheret what God has....and what does God have?....Godhood...pretty simple....the LDS faith or should I say, with the restores Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Fullness of the Gospel, we have been given instruction as to how to accomplish the task of being worthy to possibly receive this inheritance. We have been told through direct revelation from a prophet of God that "As we are, God once was and as God is, we may become". Think about it...would not this be God's inheritance? would not our Father in heaven want us to be able to have what he has? Does he really love us that much? Would Heaven be Heaven if we could not progress, grow and become as our Father? Dosen't this just make sense to you? As a mamber of Christs true church upon this Earth I know, not just believe that these things can and will come to pass.

Look, for the sake of the argument, lets say I agree with you that we could become "gods" not equel to God of course, but gods....That still dosen't explain the mormon teaching that God had a god.

even if you go so far as to say that there is no trinity...certainly it is clear there are no more than God, Holy Spirit, and Jesus...

Please explain.

they are sperate, yet equal....

* Jesus said: "I and the Father are one." (John 10:30)

He also said "I AM"

Josh B)

I can throw this is.. 3 Ne. 11: 27

27 And after this manner shall ye baptize in my name; for behold, verily I say unto you, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one; and I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one." I still think it is purpose...

What would make you think it purpose? does it say "The Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost have the same goals..."

I don't understand what would make you think that?

Josh B)

Look, for the sake of the argument, lets say I agree with you that we could become "gods" not equel to God of course, but gods....That still dosen't explain the mormon teaching that God had a god.

even if you go so far as to say that there is no trinity...certainly it is clear there are no more than God, Holy Spirit, and Jesus...

Please explain.

I know it's mindboggling....it's not doctrine but it falls inline with the teachings and makes perfect sense....but yes our God has his God, but his God is not our God. His God is one who has progressed even further than he.

Did you know our God even has a wife...our Mother in Heaven but we don't and will not ever know anything about her while on Earth because our Father in heaven protects her. Think about it, would you protect your wife from the evil that is in this world directed at her from her spiritual children?...absolutely!

Dosen't any of this even just a little bit make sense to you?

Okay.. here is where I have a problem.. Explain the trinity? Because Jesus, Heavenly Father, and the Holy Spirit are certainly not one! They are three seperate things... and eeeee.... God doesn't want us confused... The God Head is soo much easier!

I try to keep it as simple as I can. The Bible tells us:

1. The Father is God.

2. The Son is God.

3. The Holy Spirit is God.

4. There is only one God.

Conclusions: The three persons are the one God.

To describe the difference between the traditional trinitarian view and that of the COJCLDS, I'd use the following formulas:

1. Trinity: 1X1X1=1 The three persons are distinct, and have their unique places. But, they are still essentially one.

2. COJCLDS: 1+1+1 = 1 cooperative Godhead. The three persons are not only distinct, but independent. They are essentially three, and yet, by definition make up the one entity that LDS worship.

BTW, the Trinity is easy to spell out, but admittedly hard to wrap our minds around. If we could fully comprehend God and his nature, we'd be gods. Additionally, while the LDS godhead might be easier to wrap your mind around, it also much more easily falls prey to the accusations of both Jews and Muslims that we are idolaters and polytheists (worshippers of plural gods).

<div class='quotemain'>

Okay.. here is where I have a problem.. Explain the trinity? Because Jesus, Heavenly Father, and the Holy Spirit are certainly not one! They are three seperate things... and eeeee.... God doesn't want us confused... The God Head is soo much easier!

1. The Father is God.

2. The Son is God.

3. The Holy Spirit is God.

4. There is only one God.

Conclusions: The three persons are the one God.

To describe the difference between the traditional trinitarian view and that of the COJCLDS, I'd use the following formulas:

1. Trinity: 1X1X1=1 The three persons are distinct, and have their unique places. But, they are still essentially one.

2. COJCLDS: 1+1+1 = 1 cooperative Godhead. The three persons are not only distinct, but independent. They are essentially three, and yet, by definition make up the one entity that LDS worship.

BTW, the Trinity is easy to spell out, but admittedly hard to wrap our minds around. If we could fully comprehend God and his nature, we'd be gods. Additionally, while the LDS godhead might be easier to wrap your mind around, it also much more easily falls prey to the accusations of both Jews and Muslims that we are idolaters and polytheists (worshippers of plural gods).

WHOO! I never knew the Holy Spirit WAS A GOD TOO!

No... Once again, one in purpose, only one God, Jesus is the Son, the Holy Spirit is not God. Simple!

I know it's mindboggling....it's not doctrine but it falls inline with the teachings and makes perfect sense....but yes our God has his God, but his God is not our God. His God is one who has progressed even further than he.

Did you know our God even has a wife...our Mother in Heaven but we don't and will not ever know anything about her while on Earth because our Father in heaven protects her. Think about it, would you protect your wife from the evil that is in this world directed at her from her spiritual children?...absolutely!

Dosen't any of this even just a little bit make sense to you?

Where did the first God come from?

What scriptures back up this "mindboggling" claim?

And how to you explain all the verses that say: "I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God." (Isa. 45:5)?

Josh B)

Okay.... Jesus isn't "God" though.. the bible says he is the SON of God..

Hebrews 1:6, 8: And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, 'Let all God's angels worship him.' ... But about the Son he says, 'Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the sceptor of your kingdom.'

In verse six the Father commands angels to worship Jesus--something reserved only for GOD.

In verse eight the Father addresses his Son as GOD.

Conclusion: If the Father says Jesus is God and worthy of God, I will worship Jesus as my God.

And how to you explain all the verses that say: "I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God." (Isa. 45:5)?

He already said. WE only follow one God. You are the king of asking already anwsered questions Josh! :king:

<div class='quotemain'>

Okay.... Jesus isn't "God" though.. the bible says he is the SON of God..

Hebrews 1:6, 8: And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, 'Let all God's angels worship him.' ... But about the Son he says, 'Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the sceptor of your kingdom.'

In verse six the Father commands angels to worship Jesus--something reserved only for GOD.

In verse eight the Father addresses his Son as GOD.

Conclusion: If the Father says Jesus is God and worthy of God, I will worship Jesus as my God.

Brother Dorsey anwsered this too.

The Father was in Him so he could do the work!

WHOO! I never knew the Holy Spirit WAS A GOD TOO!

No... Once again, one in purpose, only one God, Jesus is the Son, the Holy Spirit is not God. Simple!

You're great, Desire! (Maybe I should take up teaching theology to high school students :lol: )

Here's the passage that will help you see why we believe the Holy Spirit is God:

Acts 5:3, 5: Then Peter said, 'Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? Whaat made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God.'

The Holy Spirit is a distinct person, and the Apostle Paul uses the terms 'Holy Spirit' and 'God' interchangeably. Why? When you lie to the Holy Spirit you are lying to God, because the Holy Spirit is God.

He already said. WE only follow one God. You are the king of asking already anwsered questions Josh! :king:

You only follow one god...but you believe many exist.

I think I will call you the Queen half answered answers...........

The Holy Spirit was in Him....how could God (who you say is a distinct person with His own body, be "in" someone?

Josh B)

No I don't!

The Holy Spirit was in Him....how could God (who you say is a distinct person with His own body, be "in" someone?

You don't believe he could?

Try that again...this time say...."My churches interpratation of the Bible tels us:"

You have to remember...you and your church have the Bible and it is inturped many ways by many denominations...

As LDS we have the Bible, Book of Mormon, D &C and PoGP....we also have the restored Gospel...the fullness of the Gospel...not just triths mixed with the doctrines of man...we also have a living Prophet who receives direct revalation from the Lord to direct his church....

Don't get me wrong, the Bible is great so long as it was translated correctly... but why struggle trying to interpet things that have been lost and be at odds with other Christian denominations as to what is the truth....I'm just thankful the Lord has fulfilled his promise to us as Isiah prophesied to come forth in the latter days with a restored Gospel to teach us the whole truth....and he has. If you studied the LDS faith with an open mind and heart you would see the big picture....it's like a puzzle.....all the questions you have about the Gospel are answered, all make sense, none confusing...where you came from, why you are here and where you are going....it all makes sense, nothing contradicts itself as in other denominations, it feels right and the puzzle pieces fill in and all fit...all pieces of the truth are back in the restored Gospel....it is in the Bible itself...the true church is a restored church...and as far as I see there is only one restored church on this Earth today. Just remember one thing our God is NOT a God of confusion.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

No I don't!

yes...you do...ask Brother Dorsey! He just said it!

but yes our God has his God, but his God is not our God. His God is one who has progressed even further than he.

You don't believe he could?

I believe the Holy Spirit was in Jesus (who is God) actually you don't believe He could

Doctrine’s & Covenants 130:3

The appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal bappearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son cdwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false."

Josh B)