What Do You Think About My Beliefs About: God's Nature?

prisonchaplain

You do come off as strong, Brother Dorsey.

I don't even know how to respond..

I understand 100% that it is weird that there is non-LDS here,

and when I first came, it was unsettling,

but I enjoy the personalities of some of the non-LDS.

I like comments from Maureen, Dr.T, and PC.....

and true, they confuse me, and true, that was a true statment from God...

but what about the eleventh article of faith?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right of course...my opinion of these Christian sects who have been influenced by Satan and man who also just happen to be an abomintation before the Lord does not belong here...I have no right to state my opinion of what I believe to be true...yes I apologise...if he wishes to be involved in this abomination of a church he belongs to, then it's his agency...please forgive me if I came across too strong I'm just following what the Lord has told us in LDS school. "He told me I should join none of them as they are all an abomination before him", Joseph Smith's first vision. (Being LDS Lisajo I know you know this is a true statement from the Lord right?) I just figured the Lord was warning me about these Christian sects and I was being cautious and defensive...Prisonchaplin knows not what he does and we need to forgive him as I know he would fogive us for stating untruths...But you are right of course, I have no right to come here and spout the truth to those who spout twisted truths....Satan has a great influences on the weak minded Lisajo....is your faith strong enough?

Strangely enough...again I agree with Brother Dorsey, to Mormons all other christians sects should be considered an "abomination" before the Lord. And so BD, is only doing his "christian" duty...

I respect you for standing up for your beliefs completely Brother Dorsey. Although I completely disagree with them.

Josh B)

I respect you for standing up for your beliefs completely Brother Dorsey. Although I completely disagree with them.

Josh,

every time you add that part, I wonder why you are here.

You will never agree with us, and you will always contridict everything we tell you with some more anti-mormon stuff... but you are a christian... That makes no sense to me.

Did you see Christ?

If you are a christian, you believe in Christ... and I mean REALLY believe...

You REALLY REALIZE the atonement...

How can you say that... when you disregard our religion for the same reasons?

It is like you will never believe Joseph Smith unless you were there.. and even if God came down and told you.... I am not even sure you would believe...

That makes me really sad, Josh... how you say you want to learn, and you only become harder hearted.

It makes me really sad, because inside I know you are a great person, because you are a son of God...

It makes me sad that you have closed yourself off to his truths...

Desire....I am sorry if I came off too strong it's just that these two knew you were new in your faith and it seemed to me like they jumped on you like wild dogs trying to confuse you...it was obvious to me and it just lit me up and confirmed to me why they even come here...to confuse the truth...fogive me Desire.

I understand how it looked, because that is how I felt.

I did kind of feel singled out.. but in all that I do my best to remember that we tolerate other faiths, as hard as it is..

I guess I was more surprised than anything...

But I really appreciate you sticking up for me.

You have no idea, and it is byond words how much I appreciate how many times you helped explain things.

Thank you SOOOOO much!

Love,

Dez!

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

You and other non LDS posters don't come here to learn, you come here to destroy...be honest, do you even care what we believe....are you even trying to understand what we believe? Or are you just one of those pulpit pounding preachers who are trying to convert the heathen? I think you are afraid....I think you are scared of the truth because it will destroy all those lies that you have learned to be true.....Do you have dreams at night that the Lord might be unhappy with you because you make a living preaching a false doctrine? How does it feel being so insecure with your faith that you have to come here to degrade anothers? I forgive you but I will not answer any more of your's or Josh's questions because neither of you care about the answer....you don't want to learn....you want to destroy!

BROTHER DORSREY,

Prisionchaplin has been here for some time, your words to him are rather rude! he is a very important part of this board and well loved! you have no right comming in here and saying things like that! he has never.........done anything that has upset us or pushed us into him beliefs! you owe him an appologie!

You are right of course...my opinion of these Christian sects who have been influenced by Satan and man who also just happen to be an abomintation before the Lord does not belong here...I have no right to state my opinion of what I believe to be true...yes I apologise...if he wishes to be involved in this abomination of a church he belongs to, then it's his agency...please forgive me if I came across too strong I'm just following what the Lord has told us in LDS school. "He told me I should join none of them as they are all an abomination before him", Joseph Smith's first vision. (Being LDS Lisajo I know you know this is a true statement from the Lord right?) I just figured the Lord was warning me about these Christian sects and I was being cautious and defensive...Prisonchaplin knows not what he does and we need to forgive him as I know he would fogive us for stating untruths...But you are right of course, I have no right to come here and spout the truth to those who spout twisted truths....Satan has a great influences on the weak minded Lisajo....is your faith strong enough?

Uh...I don't think this is the apology Lisajo had in mind. :dontknow:

Desire....I am sorry if I came off too strong it's just that these two knew you were new in your faith and it seemed to me like they jumped on you like wild dogs trying to confuse you...it was obvious to me and it just lit me up and confirmed to me why they even come here...to confuse the truth...fogive me Desire.

Brother Dorsey, are you apologizing here, or simply explaining yourself? And, if you are not sorry, why are you asking for forgiveness? Surely a man of your age and intelligence is not stooping to sarcasm? :o

Uh...I don't think this is the apology Lisajo had in mind. :dontknow:

Unfortunatly PC there are selfrightouse (spelled wrong i know) In this world, every religion seems to have them and as you can see we have ours too. I bet this person won't even let his kids associate with non members kids.......What some would call segregation do to religion.

Brother Dorsey, are you apologizing here, or simply explaining yourself? And, if you are not sorry, why are you asking for forgiveness? Surely a man of your age and intelligence is not stooping to sarcasm? :o

There was some sarcasm here I think, but I believe he was really sorry, and I can understand his frustration. I think he needs a break from explaining the same thing over.

...but what about the eleventh article of faith?

Hi Desire - I will admit that sometimes I find your posts hard to follow (teenage vernacular?) - but sometimes you surprise me with your gems of wisdom and fair play. :)

I think Brother Dorsey needs a reminder of the Codes of Conduct on this board:

Bashing ones church or faith will not be permitted.

-- Including disrespectfully discussing Temple Ceremonies.

Offensive name calling of any sort to anyone on this site will not be tolerated.

Links to Anti LDS or anything else offensive will not be tolerated, this includes cut and pasteing articles from or by anti. If you want to discuss something put it in your own words and discuss.

Comments of offensive, dis-respectful, or ill nature towards the leaders of ones faith or church, that bother members of this board are not acceptable.

Consequences to these rules could result in the following, and are determined on a case by case/post by post basis.

Offender be placed on moderator status for no less than 2 weeks.

Post will be locked for no less than 24 hours if has gotten out of hand.

We try to have the agreement of at least one other moderator, if not more before making final decisions.

Please make a conscious effort to stay on topic and respect your fellow posters, and please report and problems you have, That’s what we’re here for and we want to make this a better place for you.

M.

The questions on diefication are realistic and I dont see an explained answer or one easily understood, so if i may I;ll elaberate with a small story and then link it as I feel it will help explain 1 god versus many.

One day two parents cradle their little boy in their arms, and they love him so much. They keep him safe and teach him different things and the boy grows up.

He grows to be an age where he is independant and wants to learn more, he feels taht his environment has now limited his growth so he decides to go away to college.

So not knowing really what to take his parents give him the resources and love he needs and lets him leave.

He arrives at college and is lost and feels over his head but eventually with his roomates and teachers he starts to excell. He tries all kinds of things he didnt do at home, new classes new places to go. He learns from his mistakes and grows from his accomplishments. But soon he realises he misses his parents so he starts to call them and they encourage him to get his education and just do the best he can. He finds a girlfriend and he loves her soo much he decides to marry her, but she wants to wait till they are both graduated.

He then graduates college and goes home, his parents are so proud, they shower him with love and affection. His girlfriend then graduates and they get married. Now they are both looking for jobs and getting everything in order so mom and dad let them stay with them till they find a house. Of course a couple of months later they have a house and shes expecting a child. Soon the cycle starts again.

SO 1: we are born in heaven and taught by love

2:We come to earth to grow and learn. (phone = prayer)

3: we find our soul mate

4: we die and go home

5: we grow a little more with our heavenly parents

6: its time to be what they are, parents/gods.

SO even though we can become a god we dont think any less of our god, just like we can become a parent and be someones mon or dad, we still have a mom and dad and so did they. Does this explain it better!

Thanks karrie91,

I like how you framed that analogy. Something that popped into my head is the lengths that the Bible goes to show "there is no other Gods" and God is "the first and the last" while reading through your analogy. Would God be a rebelious son in your analogy and say, "It's all about me-my parents should not even be discussed or thought about!"?

Thank you,

Dr. T

...Something that popped into my head is the lengths that the Bible goes to show "there is no other Gods" and God is "the first and the last" while reading through your analogy. Would God be a rebelious son in your analogy and say, "It's all about me-my parents should not even be discussed or thought about!"?

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way or be offended, not my intent, by to add to this analogy, could it have the picture of parents asking their children to have nothing to do with grandma & grandpa? Just a thought...

M.

I have a hard time seeing God (an all powerful/perfect Being) being rebellious. That is where I've been getting stuck for a while. It seems adolescent to say, "Focus only on me, forget everyone else" more than that, "There is no one else!" "I'm the only God there is."

Thanks,

Dr. T

I have issued a warning to the good brother and hope it makes a difference.

I also left his posts in this thread for a reason.

Just my honest opinion.

And I'm back from this 24 hour excommunication from the board...I should have read the code of conduct thingy before I posted :rolleyes: From now on I will not, I repeat NOT bring up my belief that all other Christian sects other than LDS are wrong, I will NOT bring up my belief that ones who practice any other faith other than LDS are wrong..and I certianly will NOT piss off the Moderator...or Lisajo...(she thinks I'm a jerk anyway) I'm sorry if I offended anyone other than the ones I was directing my posts to...It was really not my intention...In all honesty I got upset that a couple of non LDS posters pounced on Dez and tried to confuse her...I felt they were taking advantage of her newness to the faith and trust me I've seen it a hundred times before..."Lets get the new Mormon and see if we can confuse her with how we interput Biblical scripture". I understand where I went wrong and I will not make that mistake again.....

PS. Just my honest opinion!

PS. Just my honest opinion!

Hey Brother Dorsey, what's your opinion regarding the words of one of your leaders, have a read and let us know if you sustain him as your leader and if you find his words helpful:

Before I Build a Wall (Elder Loren C. Dunn Of the Seventy)

There is a quality that can be seen in the lives of most Christians and good men and women everywhere. It is not only demonstrated in their actions but also seems to be a part of their nature. It is a blend of charity, forgiveness, and respect; and it takes into account the realization that God stands at the helm and we are all His children. As a result of this, we have certain obligations to one another.

“Wherefore, the Lord God hath given a commandment that all men should have charity, which charity is love.” (2 Ne. 26:30.) And the scriptures also teach us, “And ye shall also forgive one another your trespasses.” (Mosiah 26:31.) This quality can be a part of a person’s life without compromising principle or commitment to truth…

…This quality of respect for others, no matter what their belief or religious affiliation, seems to have been a part of the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith. He stood for truth and the restored gospel to his dying day, and he had no patience with those who were deliberately wicked or who tried to exercise unrighteous dominion over the Latter-day Saints or, for that matter, anyone else. Still he showed a respect and brotherly concern for others, no matter what their beliefs or their backgrounds, which, in many ways, was remarkable, when one considers the persecution that both he and the early Saints underwent.

He said at one time that he was in possession of the quality of love, and we also read that if he could get the ear of his enemies, he was usually able to win them over. In his dealings with members and nonmembers, he was committed to a principle which can be found in the 121st section of the Doctrine and Covenants: “No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile” (D&C 121:41–42), and “Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith” (D&C 121:45).

…He was the forerunner of literally legions of missionaries who have gone throughout the world to proclaim the same truths. Nevertheless, he also said, “I never feel to force my doctrine upon any person; I rejoice to see prejudice give way to truth, and the traditions of men dispersed by the pure principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.” (History of the Church, 6:213.)…

…Today we live in times of conflict, dissent, differences of opinion, charges, countercharges, disagreements. There is a need for us, perhaps more than ever before, to reach within ourselves and allow the qualities of mutual respect, mingled with charity and forgiveness; to influence our actions with one another; to be able to disagree without becoming disagreeable; to lower our voices and build on common ground with the realization that once the storm has passed, we will still have to live with one another.

While living in the East some years ago…a debate was taking place. The leader of the debate in one party was Senator Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota. The floor leader for the other party was Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine. As time went on, it was clear that Senator Humphrey’s party would win.

On the morning of the vote, Senator Humphrey went out to his garden and cut some red roses. When Margaret Chase Smith arrived at her desk on the senate floor that morning, there was the bouquet of roses. This, of course, did not change Senator Smith’s mind concerning the issues, but it was a gesture of respect and appreciation.

In our dealings with one another, no matter what our position might be, we need more roses—and, after Elder Faust’s talk this morning, I suppose, roses without thorns….

…Robert Frost once wrote:

Before I built a wall I’d ask to know

What I was walling in or walling out,

And to whom I was like to give offense.

Something there is that doesn’t love a wall.

(“Mending Wall,” in The Poetry of Robert Frost, New York:Henry Holt and Co., 1979, p. 34.)

People will always have opposing views, and I suppose there will always be conflict and even misunderstanding; but the principle of mutual respect mixed with charity and forgiveness can lay the foundation for the resolving of differences and the solving of problems.

Was it not the Savior, speaking of the first and great commandment, who said that we are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, might, mind, and strength and that the second is like unto it, that we are to love our neighbors as ourselves? (See Matt. 22:36–39.) The quality of mutual respect is a great quality. It can be found in the hearts of great people, and in this sense, we all should be great people. It does not have to compromise truth or principle, but it can create brotherhood and sisterhood and the resolution of many problems.

May the Lord bless us that we may look upon one another in that spirit. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

(Loren C. Dunn, “Before I Build a Wall,” Ensign, May 1991, 81)

M.

I have issued a warning to the good brother and hope it makes a difference.

I also left his posts in this thread for a reason.

Over the past few weeks, i have noticed people throwing accusations about trolss and anti's. I understand why, and i do have some sympathy, however it want it seen that it can come from both sides. I've noticed the attacks on Josh, and while his motives could be suspect, i honestly came to expect better of LDS members. The anger i saw in the posts made me rethink the growing respect i had for some of the members of the church. Pure or tainted motives aside, i'm not honestly sure i ever saw christ set the example of attack and degrade, not even to the people who were willing to kill him. I myself have asked many of the same questions as Josh has, though usually in private to members i trust. So either I am anti just for asking these questions, or maybe just maybe there are honest people who are curious. the example that was set for any investigator by your reactions spoke volumes. Josh might have voiced the questions, but i will tell you now he is not the only person with them, and some of us actually want to know.

As for the statments made by the good Brother. I find them unacceptable and I will not personally accept them any more. More than one poster likes to think that they are immune to the rules because as long as they are supporting the LDS faith they are doing nothing wrong by putting down other faiths. That ends now, if we are going to activly come down on anti's we do it all the way around.

Just my honest opinion.

Soulsearcher I guess your comments would be geared at me too due to my post in the Evidence post geared at JoshK. I know I have been very discouraged by what I have seen on the boards and extremely frustrated. I personally do not like to have my intent or faith attacked as I felt it was. I came here for LDS direction, support etc. I don't mind honest questions about my faith but I really don't appreciate the feeling of being played around with either and apologize for any part I made in making you uncomfortable or upset.

I'm sorry that I kind of become a part of it all when I wrote the Liar post that has been referenced in other places because I felt that the LDS were being used and mocked at the moment. In following with the forum question I wanted to give "evidence' in that post to show why I felt that way or show how the evidence can be misleading if wrong. I truly began to feel that good intentions were not there so I made my post for that reason. I defineately think in this case it went out of control and people took it in ways never intended. I have avoided posting since. For that post I apologize. If there is a way to remove them from the boards by all means do so ( or tell me how I can edit them out).

I certainly did not want it to come across as an attack to other non LDS posters or questioning LDS who honestly has sincere desires to learn. I in no means meant to attack or start attacks against honest seekers (such as you SoulSearcher, PrisonChaplin, Dr T etc.......) .

My intent on that was a little mixed with making a point and frustration. Faith is a funny thing to prove. I do believe there is evidence for it and that its ok to ask question. We are asked to give a reason for the faith that is within us. There is the other side of not devaluing precious things. As the Bible says casting pearls before the swine. We have obligation to care for our faith and not just let it be destroyed either. Also somethings we truly don't have a perfect understanding of or cannot comprehend in this lifetime. Its hard to explain to someone who doesn't know ( like how do you explain water is wet analogy)

Joshk indicated that I had taken his intent wrong. If so , I truly apologize to you for my accusation. :( I did come off very strong. Please see how that might be an example of evidence being unproved. Since we can't see your heart we would be taking your word at it even now :hmmm: So please see where your ways of questioning of people in the LDS faith may be taken wrong.

FYI regarding one of your comments (this is the first I'm responding-it was a while ago) I just went back to your posts that stood out to me as being questionable. I did not spend hours on my post seeking to attack you. Thus the lack of organization . I have no problem as I said before with honest questioners but I started seeing something different. I do believe that answers are there and can be understood. There are things that others have pointed out that will help you know truth better. Whether you agree or not is between you and God.

I do sincerly thank you because I have been able to go back and reread things and also understand to a deeper level certain things LDS specific. It has recharged the fire within. So for that I thank you. B) .

I do struggle with where to draw the lines :dontknow: . As a follower of Christ I do believe in turning the other cheek. Being nice and loving. All that great stuff. But aren't there times when you have to say enough is enough? I think of examples of Christ clearing the temple. I remember the comments He said to the Pharisees and the Saducees that pushed Him to the limit. He was not all smiles then. He was very welcoming to those who came in faith or with desires to learn. He got downright mad at times though too.

I'm sorry at times I really get tired and ultrasentive by those around me who come across as just seeking to destroy. Who keep upping it up another level. Making their comments, focusing on areas that are not easy to prove without basic LDS understandings, coming to events with bull horns and big boards, handing out anti literature ,dragging our scriptures and temple garments through the streets, who as Traveler mentioned choose killing and raping innocent people in the name of their God. While LDS may disagree we don't go to other churches with "anti"literature or make comments that they are wrong. After awhile where do you stand up and say stop. What if some of the great religious ones had not taken their stand? On the other hand we are called to be different and not resort to dirty means. To pray for those who persecute us. In the case of my posting I feel I did more harm and hurt people I truly belief purely innocent people on the boards. That is not good.

Where is the line drawn? I think , as you Soulsearcher , have pointed out both sides may have crossed over a line. So is it Christ clearing the temple , Peter cutting off the guards ears or case by case judgements? Thoughts? :dontknow:

I guess this is why we have our temples and are strongly encouraged to go there. Its a respite-no anti's allowed :rolleyes:

Thanks Maureen :excl::D . Just read your post that posted before mine after I placed mine.

Guess it goes to show we can all learn something from each other :idea: .

The first group we'll compare with is the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints. Fear not, as the main part of the curriculum, I'll use http://www.mormon.org, and perhaps secondarily, FAIR and FARMS. However, there may be some interesting thoughts and impressions you have as well.

While I doubt my class will be converting en masse to the COJCLDS, I've already stated that our goal is more to better understand what we believe in contrast to other groups, rather than to debunk or "bash" anyone else.

You might also take a look at All About Mormons. It remains one of my favorite information sites on LDS beliefs. ;)