What Do You Think About My Beliefs About: God's Nature?

prisonchaplain

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<div class='quotemain'>

WHOO! I never knew the Holy Spirit WAS A GOD TOO!

No... Once again, one in purpose, only one God, Jesus is the Son, the Holy Spirit is not God. Simple!

You're great, Desire! (Maybe I should take up teaching theology to high school students :lol: )

Here's the passage that will help you see why we believe the Holy Spirit is God:

Acts 5:3, 5: Then Peter said, 'Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? Whaat made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God.'

The Holy Spirit is a distinct person, and the Apostle Paul uses the terms 'Holy Spirit' and 'God' interchangeably. Why? When you lie to the Holy Spirit you are lying to God, because the Holy Spirit is God.

Actually this passage shows me the exact oppisite....the Holy Spirit is acting FOR God...he is NOT God! He is the conduit in a sense between the Father and us...through him and Christ we can communicate with the Father...and when Ananias lied, he commited a sin and did not keep the commandments of God so therefore he lied to the Spirt and because the Spirit is one with God, he lied to God. If you only had the fulness of the Gospel if Jesus Christ the truth would be plain to you. Remember, God the Father cannot be in the presence of evil, sin etc. he cannot be in the presence of men or in this world....he has to have the Spirit here to act FOR him!

<div class='quotemain'>

AHH! YOU ARE MAKING NO SENSE!

WE! US! You and I! We only follow ONE GOD! Okay! I don't know WHY you are trying to confuse me!

Let me try again, one point at a time.

How many "gods" are there Desiré?

Josh :wacko:

Don't get me wrong, the Bible is great so long as it was translated correctly... but why struggle trying to interpet things that have been lost and be at odds with other Christian denominations as to what is the truth....

What makes you think the Bible was not translated correctly?

Thankfully, the Lord didn't come and take away the Bible for an unknown reason.

I'm just thankful the Lord has fulfilled his promise to us as Isiah prophesied to come forth in the latter days with a restored Gospel to teach us the whole truth....and he has.

I've read all the verses that "prophecy" the comming of the Book of Mormon, and honestly I can't believe anyone can believe that (if you would like to disscuss it prehaps you could start another thread?)

If you studied the LDS faith with an open mind and heart you would see the big picture....it's like a puzzle.....all the questions you have about the Gospel are answered, all make sense, none confusing...where you came from, why you are here and where you are going....it all makes sense, nothing contradicts itself

Look, I don't care if you believe me or not, but I studied (and continue to study) the LDS faith with as much of an open mind as I can....and never have I seen doctrine more confusing, and more contradictive.

Josh B)

O N E!

Okay... slowly.

We follow ONE GOD!

We are NOT GETTING INTO DEEP DOCTRINE because you can not HANDLE THAT without confusing EVERYONE!

We also follow Jesus, who is the SON of God.. therefore OUR BROTHER!

The Holy Spirit is our guide!

THAT IS IN THE SIMPILEST FORM! YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ANYTHING MORE!

Desire....Satan and his followers will try anything and all things to confuse you and keep you from the truth...being LDS as we learn more and grow more in our faith Satan will try even harder....you stick to your beliefs and what you know to be the truth...don't let others try and confuse you because you are new to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There are things you don't know or don't understand yet because they have not been made known to you but you will learn the truth in all things. Satan works in many ways and with many people...he takes the people he has corrupted and gets them to corrupt the truth with twisted truths...ie: mans interpatation of the Bible and so forth....remember they have the Bible which is part of the truth, the Bible has been translated dozens of times, it has been hacked and changed to fit mans ideas...but we as LDS have the whole truth, the fullness of the Gospel...rejoice in that fact and feel sorrow for those who refuse to find the truth for they will not see God! You are loved young lady

What makes you think the Bible was not translated correctly?

Josh...go into any Christian bookstore and count the number of different Bible versions there are!

Then go to google and put in "history of the Bible"....you will be amazed and even you might question the validity of the bible.....and this is what you base your faith upon......I have the restored Gospel...everything is clear and precise.

I'm just thankful the Lord has fulfilled his promise to us as Isiah prophesied to come forth in the latter days with a restored Gospel to teach us the whole truth....and he has.

I've read all the verses that "prophecy" the comming of the Book of Mormon, and honestly I can't believe anyone can believe that (if you would like to disscuss it prehaps you could start another thread?)]

Hmmmm you read it in the Bible and don't believe it? Why...because it contardicts what some preacher told you? Or you choose to disregard that part of the Bible.....hmmmm, must have been a mistake huh?

If you studied the LDS faith with an open mind and heart you would see the big picture....it's like a puzzle.....all the questions you have about the Gospel are answered, all make sense, none confusing...where you came from, why you are here and where you are going....it all makes sense, nothing contradicts itself

Look, I don't care if you believe me or not, but I studied (and continue to study) the LDS faith with as much of an open mind as I can....and never have I seen doctrine more confusing, and more contradictive.

More confusing and contadictive to what Josh....to itself? Or to what you have picked up from the anti-Mormon sites? or, no, I know, it contadicts what you have been taught by those preachers,and pastors that you originally learned from...Of course it will be contadictive and cunfusing.....the LDS have the truth...all others have half truths which are an abomination in Gods eyes.....of course the truth would look confusing if all your life you were taught half truths and lies!

Josh...go into any Christian bookstore and count the number of different Bible versions there are!

Then go to google and put in "history of the Bible"....you will be amazed and even you might question the validity of the bible.....and this is what you base your faith upon......I have the restored Gospel...everything is clear and precise.

There is only one "hebrew" translation (and greek for the NT I know)...it is the translating into english from which the different versions appear.

Hmmmm you read it in the Bible and don't believe it? Why...because it contardicts what some preacher told you? Or you choose to disregard that part of the Bible.....hmmmm, must have been a mistake huh?

Becuase it clearly dosn't make sense, I've never heard anyone preach on the verses...why would I?

More confusing and contadictive to what Josh....to itself? Or to what you have picked up from the anti-Mormon sites? or, no, I know, it contadicts what you have been taught by those preachers,and pastors that you originally learned from...Of course it will be contadictive and cunfusing.....the LDS have the truth...all others have half truths which are an abomination in Gods eyes.....of course the truth would look confusing if all your life you were taught half truths and lies!

It is confusing to itself, the Bible and logic!

Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but every thing shall be arestored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the bFather, and the Holy Spirit, which is cone Eternal God, to be djudged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil. (Alma 11:44)

Simple....the Father has given Christ and the Spirit his power to act on his behalf....they are one with the Father...but they are not the Father.

The verse does not say "act on his behalf", I think that's what you would like it to say. It does say that Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit are one Eternal God.

Just so you're clear, the Trinity does not confound the persons of the Godhead. Each person is distinct and separate - the Father is the Father, he is never the Son or the HS, the Son is the Son, he is never the Father or the HS, the HS is the HS, he is never the Father or the Son. It seems that it is really people that like to misunderstand the Trinity that do that. The Trinity has never said the Son and Spirit are the Father (like you have accused), the Trinity says that all 3 persons are God.

Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are aone God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen. (D&C 20:28)

Again....one in porpose....the power of the Father that was given Christ and the Spirit is used to direct the Fathers will exactly as the Father wishes....exactly one in purpose.

Again...it does not say that, it says very clearly that Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God.

M.

So far all of you have ommitted a scripture that will explain this exactly and clearly.

D&C Section 130:22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

This clearly tells us the nature of the Godhead, that they are 3 different personages, but 1 in purpose. Each and every one of us are expressly created in His own image. Therefore, we not only have the Spirit of Christ within us, but we look as He does.

The Prophet Lorenzo Snow is quoted as saying, "As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may become. " Our purpose, to which many have a hard time believing, is that we can, through our worthiness and righteous living, become a God in our own right, along with our eternal companion regining as our Queen.

Keith gets the prize for answering the question fully. To summarize:

1. Father and Son each have glorified physical bodies, but the Holy Spirit does not.

2. We too can become as God is.

In contrast, traditional churches argue that only Jesus has a glorified body, and that we shall never be as God is. We'll be glorified at the resurrection, but forever our glory shall be in glorifying our Master.

...I know, it contadicts what you have been taught by those preachers,and pastors that you originally learned from...Of course it will be contadictive and cunfusing.....the LDS have the truth...all others have half truths which are an abomination in Gods eyes.....of course the truth would look confusing if all your life you were taught half truths and lies!

Not sure if that's the best way to win friends and influence people Brother Dorsey. You're not Ray's alter-ego, are you?

Sorry PC for hi-jacking your thread. :blush:

M.

Just so you're clear, the Trinity does not confound the persons of the Godhead. Each person is distinct and separate - the Father is the Father, he is never the Son or the HS, the Son is the Son, he is never the Father or the HS, the HS is the HS, he is never the Father or the Son. It seems that it is really people that like to misunderstand the Trinity that do that. The Trinity has never said the Son and Spirit are the Father (like you have accused), the Trinity says that all 3 persons are God.

Maureen....What your saying is those that believe in the trinity believe in three seperate beings but only one God...and that each seperate being is a God....3 Gods or all three are God or 3 Gods....kind of confusing to me, doesn't make much sense..how about you, you understand this?....Am I to believe that the Lord wants to confuse me regarding the Gospel? I thought God was not a God of confusion....and I think that most other Christian churches will agree. Tell me who do you think it is that is trying to confuse the people about the Gospel? Anyone? Anyone? Satan maybe? My point exactly!

Maureen....What your saying is those that believe in the trinity believe in three seperate beings but only one God...and that each seperate being is a God....3 Gods or all three are God or 3 Gods....kind of confusing to me, doesn't make much sense..how about you, you understand this?....Am I to believe that the Lord wants to confuse me regarding the Gospel? I thought God was not a God of confusion....and I think that most other Christian churches will agree. Tell me who do you think it is that is trying to confuse the people about the Gospel? Anyone? Anyone? Satan maybe? My point exactly!

BD, do you understand the theroy of relativity? I'm not sure I completly understand it either, I mean it's kinda strange don't you think? How can time be relative?!

My take is that it's a huge conspiracy of Satan...I mean, God wouldn't do something I don't understand!

(I'm burning all the clocks in the house now...)

Josh B)

Maureen....What your saying is those that believe in the trinity believe in three seperate beings but only one God

Yes.

...and that each seperate being is a God

No

....3 Gods or all three are God or 3 Gods

All 3 persons (Father, Son and HS) are God, individually or collectively. Which would mean that if I'm talking about God to you I maybe thinking of the Father and Son together or maybe just the HS by himself.

....kind of confusing to me, doesn't make much sense..how about you, you understand this?....Am I to believe that the Lord wants to confuse me regarding the Gospel? I thought God was not a God of confusion....and I think that most other Christian churches will agree. Tell me who do you think it is that is trying to confuse the people about the Gospel? Anyone? Anyone? Satan maybe? My point exactly!

Not at all confusing, like you've described one of your own beliefs Brother Dorsey, I would say it is mind-boggling! :)

M.

BD, do you understand the theroy of relativity? I'm not sure I completly understand it either, I mean it's kinda strange don't you think? How can time be relative?!

My take is that it's a huge conspiracy of Satan...I mean, God wouldn't do something I don't understand!

(I'm burning all the clocks in the house now...)

Josh B)

Josh...what does the theroy of relativity have to do with the Gospel if Jesus Christ!

PS. Einstiens theroy is just that a theroy....not fact nor truth.....

Yes...the "God" they spoke of in the old Testiment was Jesus Christ...and they were instructed to worship one God....this scripture mentions nothing of a trinity!

Explain to a religiously-observant Jew that the God of the Old Testament is Jesus! (Hint: I'd keep a fair amount of distance between you, if you do--and a good defensive posture).

<div class='quotemain'>

Yes...the "God" they spoke of in the old Testiment was Jesus Christ...and they were instructed to worship one God....this scripture mentions nothing of a trinity!

Explain to a religiously-observant Jew that the God of the Old Testament is Jesus! (Hint: I'd keep a fair amount of distance between you, if you do--and a good defensive posture).

Love to see a video of that "disscussion"... :lol:

Josh B)

BTW, if nothing else, I'm pleased that we have returned to some intelligent, thoughtful discussion of doctrine, vs. personality contests, or cyber small talk. :sparklygrin:

I can throw this is.. 3 Ne. 11: 27

27 And after this manner shall ye baptize in my name; for behold, verily I say unto you, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one; and I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one." I still think it is purpose...

If you argue that there is only one God, and that is the Father, then what is Jesus? If He's not God, then what is He? Should we worship him? What of the Holy Spirit? If he's not God, what is he?

I know it's mindboggling....it's not doctrine but it falls inline with the teachings and makes perfect sense....but yes our God has his God, but his God is not our God. His God is one who has progressed even further than he.

If God is perfect, how can he progress?

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Okay.... Jesus isn't "God" though.. the bible says he is the SON of God..

Hebrews 1:6, 8: And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, 'Let all God's angels worship him.' ... But about the Son he says, 'Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the sceptor of your kingdom.'

In verse six the Father commands angels to worship Jesus--something reserved only for GOD.

In verse eight the Father addresses his Son as GOD.

Conclusion: If the Father says Jesus is God and worthy of God, I will worship Jesus as my God.

Brother Dorsey anwsered this too.

The Father was in Him so he could do the work!

:dontknow: I don't get it.

Father commands the angels to worship Jesus. Father addresses his son as God.

Only the one true and living God gets worship (see 1st of the 10 Commandments). Father says Jesus gets the title and the worship.

Are you telling me that Bro. Dorsey says that God was really referring to his image in Jesus? :blink:

:idea:

<div class='quotemain'>

I try to keep it as simple as I can. The Bible tells us:

Try that again...this time say...."My churches interpratation of the Bible tels us:"

You have to remember...you and your church have the Bible and it is inturped many ways by many denominations...

Not this time. The Trinity is something that roughly 97% of the 2 billion Christians in the world agree upon. So, it's not my interpretation, or my church's interpretation. It's the understanding that's been handed down throughout church history.

As LDS we have the Bible, Book of Mormon, D &C and PoGP....we also have the restored Gospel...the fullness of the Gospel...not just triths mixed with the doctrines of man...we also have a living Prophet who receives direct revalation from the Lord to direct his church....

Of course you believe that. And Catholics believe that Jesus is literally in the Eucharist. And if I KNEW that either one of you were right with certainty (or if God gave me that testimony). In the mean time, we continue discussing these issues, learning what one another has been taught.

Don't get me wrong, the Bible is great so long as it was translated correctly

Apparently--it was good enough to be included in your Standard Works--even as it is currently translated. :sparklygrin:

... but why struggle

Because in your struggle to explain things to us, you learn about yourself a little bit more, and you might learn us a thing or two while you're at it.

If you studied the LDS faith with an open mind and heart you would see the big picture....it's like a puzzle.....all the questions you have about the Gospel are answered, all make sense, none confusing...where you came from, why you are here and where you are going....it all makes sense, nothing contradicts itself as in other denominations, it feels right and the puzzle pieces fill in and all fit...all pieces of the truth are back in the restored Gospel....it is in the Bible itself...the true church is a restored church...and as far as I see there is only one restored church on this Earth today. Just remember one thing our God is NOT a God of confusion.....

And, I never blame God for the chaos and confusion that sometimes befuddles the mind.

Actually this passage shows me the exact oppisite....the Holy Spirit is acting FOR God...he is NOT God! He is the conduit in a sense between the Father and us...through him and Christ we can communicate with the Father...and when Ananias lied, he commited a sin and did not keep the commandments of God so therefore he lied to the Spirt and because the Spirit is one with God, he lied to God. If you only had the fulness of the Gospel if Jesus Christ the truth would be plain to you. Remember, God the Father cannot be in the presence of evil, sin etc. he cannot be in the presence of men or in this world....he has to have the Spirit here to act FOR him!

You describe the Holy Spirit as a conduit? :ahhh:

Maybe you should clarify. If you don't think he's God, what is He? An angel?

Desire....Satan and his followers will try anything and all things to confuse you and keep you from the truth...

Brother Dorsey, perhaps you don't mean this the way it sounds. I started this string with clearly stated objectives. There is no deception, no false pretenses, and only the most polite and respectful engagements possible. Questions are being offered, and an occasional challenge to an interpretation. Answers are being given. Respectful disagreement is sometimes communicated.

None of what I've seen here warrants charges that the non-LDS posters (myself included) have earned anything approaching the labels "Satan's followers." The general consensus from most LDS posters here, that I've garnered in the past 11 months, is that sincere non-LDS Christians will likely end up in the Terrestial Kingdom--a place of reward and some honor.

So, perhaps, if you are concerned for Desire and her interactions with us, you might PM her with information you believe she needs, rather than warning her about "Satan's followers." Goodness, even the Catholics consider us "separated bretheren." :closedeyes:

It's a bit disconcerting for me to see a proponent of a religion that considers the Bible to be one of the Sacred Works, to attempt to create doubt about its authority. :dontknow:

Considering that the Bible was written over the course of 1400 years by some 40 authors, in three different languages, from a variety of cultures and socio-economic perspectives, it is amazing to me how united, authoritative and true it is.

Yes, there are many good translations of the Bible out there. Those few passages in which the linguists debate over matters, involve inconsequential words and phrases that do not change doctrine or events. I have great confidence in this marvelous gift from God, and would think any loyal LDS adherent would be proud to include the Bible in his/her canon of Scripture.

Desire....Satan and his followers will try anything and all things to confuse you and keep you from the truth...

Brother Dorsey, perhaps you don't mean this the way it sounds. I started this string with clearly stated objectives. There is no deception, no false pretenses, and only the most polite and respectful engagements possible. Questions are being offered, and an occasional challenge to an interpretation. Answers are being given. Respectful disagreement is sometimes communicated.

None of what I've seen here warrants charges that the non-LDS posters (myself included) have earned anything approaching the labels "Satan's followers." The general consensus from most LDS posters here, that I've garnered in the past 11 months, is that sincere non-LDS Christians will likely end up in the Terrestial Kingdom--a place of reward and some honor.

So, perhaps, if you are concerned for Desire and her interactions with us, you might PM her with information you believe she needs, rather than warning her about "Satan's followers." Goodness, even the Catholics consider us "separated bretheren." :closedeyes:

I absolutely mean it as it sounds....I told her that Satan and his followers will do anything to keep her from the truth! Where in that statement do I call you or any other poster satans followers....? I am telling her that Satan has his hand in all untruths and lies, he will corrupt and twist the truth to confuse and destroy her beliefs. If it is not of God it cannot be the truth. You and other non LDS posters don't come here to learn, you come here to destroy...be honest, do you even care what we believe....are you even trying to understand what we believe? Or are you just one of those pulpit pounding preachers who are trying to convert the heathen? I think you are afraid....I think you are scared of the truth because it will destroy all those lies that you have learned to be true.....Do you have dreams at night that the Lord might be unhappy with you because you make a living preaching a false doctrine? How does it feel being so insecure with your faith that you have to come here to degrade anothers? I forgive you but I will not answer any more of your's or Josh's questions because neither of you care about the answer....you don't want to learn....you want to destroy!

Brother Dorsey.

I had an experiance that was more "in-your-face" about that.

I know how much Satan hates what I know,

and I know how much he hated me coming home from leadership and making huge changes!

I can definitly say, he did a lot to try and change my mind...

Because I have that as a testimony under my belt, that I want to stay as far away from him as possible, and he could care less about me, I work really hard to build my testimony.

I also have the support of you and many other LDS members here, and my father, and some really nice youth at my church...

My point is, I know about Satan, and I refuse to let him destroy me. :)

I am, however, very greatful that you and other people are here showing concern for me. It also helps my testimony...! :D:D:D

Thank you!

Maureen, I seem to remember a previous post in which I had to explain the difference between the Trinity and monarchial modalism (aka 'Jesus Only') as taught by the Oneness Pentecostal Church. For some reason, some LDS seem to believe that Modalism (God appears in the mode of Father, or Son, or Holy Spirit) and Trinity are synonymous.

For everyone's edification: Modalists believe that God is one--and that He is Jesus. Jesus sometimes appears in the mode of Father, sometimes Son, sometimes Holy Spirit.

Trinitarians, as Maureen has pointed out, believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct personalities, but one essence. "God in three persons, blessed Trinity."

You and other non LDS posters don't come here to learn, you come here to destroy...be honest, do you even care what we believe....are you even trying to understand what we believe?

I truly am sorry you feel that way. It's not what I'm about. From the beginning, I stated I'm here to learn and share. These strings should not degenerate into a win/lose battle. :(

Or are you just one of those pulpit pounding preachers who are trying to convert the heathen. I think you are afraid....I think you are scared of the truth because it will destroy all those lies that you have learned to be true. ... Do you have dreams at night that the Lord might be unhappy with you because you make a living preaching a false doctrine? How does it feel being so insecure with your faith that you have to come here to degrade anothers?

I invite you to discuss my reputation here with the mods, or with any LDS member here that you respect. None of them have issues with me, that I'm aware of.

I forgive you but I will not answer any more of your's or Josh's questions because neither of you care about the answer....you don't want to learn....you want to destroy!

Bro., you did offer some informative answers. But, your venom speaks louder than your doctrine. :dontknow:

You and other non LDS posters don't come here to learn, you come here to destroy...be honest, do you even care what we believe....are you even trying to understand what we believe? Or are you just one of those pulpit pounding preachers who are trying to convert the heathen? I think you are afraid....I think you are scared of the truth because it will destroy all those lies that you have learned to be true.....Do you have dreams at night that the Lord might be unhappy with you because you make a living preaching a false doctrine? How does it feel being so insecure with your faith that you have to come here to degrade anothers? I forgive you but I will not answer any more of your's or Josh's questions because neither of you care about the answer....you don't want to learn....you want to destroy!

BROTHER DORSREY,

Prisionchaplin has been here for some time, your words to him are rather rude! he is a very important part of this board and well loved! you have no right comming in here and saying things like that! he has never.........done anything that has upset us or pushed us into him beliefs! you owe him an appologie!

<div class='quotemain'>

You and other non LDS posters don't come here to learn, you come here to destroy...be honest, do you even care what we believe....are you even trying to understand what we believe? Or are you just one of those pulpit pounding preachers who are trying to convert the heathen? I think you are afraid....I think you are scared of the truth because it will destroy all those lies that you have learned to be true.....Do you have dreams at night that the Lord might be unhappy with you because you make a living preaching a false doctrine? How does it feel being so insecure with your faith that you have to come here to degrade anothers? I forgive you but I will not answer any more of your's or Josh's questions because neither of you care about the answer....you don't want to learn....you want to destroy!

BROTHER DORSREY,

Prisionchaplin has been here for some time, your words to him are rather rude! he is a very important part of this board and well loved! you have no right comming in here and saying things like that! he has never.........done anything that has upset us or pushed us into him beliefs! you owe him an appologie!

You are right of course...my opinion of these Christian sects who have been influenced by Satan and man who also just happen to be an abomintation before the Lord does not belong here...I have no right to state my opinion of what I believe to be true...yes I apologise...if he wishes to be involved in this abomination of a church he belongs to, then it's his agency...please forgive me if I came across too strong I'm just following what the Lord has told us in LDS school. "He told me I should join none of them as they are all an abomination before him", Joseph Smith's first vision. (Being LDS Lisajo I know you know this is a true statement from the Lord right?) I just figured the Lord was warning me about these Christian sects and I was being cautious and defensive...Prisonchaplin knows not what he does and we need to forgive him as I know he would fogive us for stating untruths...But you are right of course, I have no right to come here and spout the truth to those who spout twisted truths....Satan has a great influences on the weak minded Lisajo....is your faith strong enough?