What Do You Think About My Beliefs About: Future Things

prisonchaplain

I'm preparing to teach a Sunday School class (adults) that will first focus on my own church's teachings about fundamental doctrines. After the two-week "Crash Course on the Fundamentals," we're going to explore how other churches view our doctrines. The first group we'll compare with is the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints. Fear not, as the main part of the curriculum, I'll use http://www.mormon.org, and perhaps secondarily, FAIR and FARMS. However, there may be some interesting thoughts and impressions you have as well.

While I doubt my class will be converting en masse to the COJCLDS, I've already stated that our goal is more to better understand what we believe in contrast to other groups, rather than to debunk or "bash" anyone else.

To me, it's like visiting another country for several months, and then returning home. You see yourself and your community in ways you never have! (Returning Missionaries should be able to shout up an AMEN! on that one. :D )

Here's the official statement:

We believe . . . in the Blessed Hope--When Jesus raptures his church prior to his return to earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever. We believe . . . in the Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of unversal peace.

I am not sure that I believe in the rapture where cars will all of a sudden be unmanned and airplanes fall out of the sky at the Lords coming. I do believe that there are those who will be called up at the First Ressurection. Really sort of a second ressurection. First could be counted as when Christ was ressurected and many others with him but most count the ressurection at the Second Coming as the First. I don't believe that we are far off in our belief that there will be one and that there will be a time of 1,000 years of peace before the short time that Satan will be losed upon the earth prior to the judgement.

Ben Raines