Do You Live in the Twilight Belt?

Elphaba

So what state reads it the most if its not utah?

I liked it myself. One of my kids gave me the entire set including another of her books, "The Host" which I liked much better.

The movie "The Host" is scheduled to be released in 2013. That's the one I'm excited about. I liked that book better.

I thought about reading Twilight once, but then I realized that I already know how important it is to have a boyfriend.

Okay I will not comment since there are a couple of ways to take this. :lol:

Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.

- Stephen King

Twilight is for young people but there is no reason to not enjoy it as adults. JudoMinja have you read The Host by Meyers? It is quite different and is more of an adult book. (no sex though)

I have not, but it has been recommended to me. I'm a bit more open to taking that one up to read than I am the Twilight series, but we'll see. Right now I've been reading more "educational" books than "fun" books. Been delving into church history, psychology, childhood development, and autism. For my fun books right now, my favorite series is the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, but I have to wait for the next one to come out.

Are you also a classic SF fan? The Host just seemed so Classic I kept wishing for a series on that book instead of Twilight. My daughter did not like it and she loved the Twilght series.

I'm pretty traditional when it comes to my stories. I have little respect for attempts to revitalize perfectly good stories. Give me old school.

I don't think Twilight books are ok for young people. It makes it sound like it's ok for someone to sneak in your room and watch you sleep. And then when you find out, you can sleep with them (No sex, but still not ok as far as I am concerned.) I read the books, only because I started then just felt like I didn't want to be a quitter. I heard they get better, but I diagree. I feel no need to see the movies. I will not let my daughter read them, not until she is 18 and decides on her own.

I don't think Twilight books are ok for young people. It makes it sound like it's ok for someone to sneak in your room and watch you sleep. And then when you find out, you can sleep with them (No sex, but still not ok as far as I am concerned.) I read the books, only because I started then just felt like I didn't want to be a quitter. I heard they get better, but I diagree. I feel no need to see the movies. I will not let my daughter read them, not until she is 18 and decides on her own.

I do think the books are directed to young people but I agree that there are things in there that bothered me too. I think she was trying to walk a fine line of being sellable to nonmembers yet up to her own standards. Not saying I like her line.

Now in the Host there are scenes where they might be together asleep but it is more in keeping with the story line not sex. Prisoner/guard etc. I thought she did a lot better on standards in that book as opposed to Twilight.

I just think that Edward stocked her, and this fiction makes it sound like that things could still work out great with a stocker. You know how many real life stockers think they are "protecting" or just in love with the victums, so that makes what they are doing ok? And the most of them are sick, and it's just creepy. I have heard both kids and adults say that Nothing happened, so the books are fine. No, in a fictional senerio, nothing happend when he stocked her, and then slept in her bed, but in real life, not very likely. Gives kids a false sense of security. And gives stockers an excuse. Makes them sound romantic, not sick like they are.

I have not, but it has been recommended to me. I'm a bit more open to taking that one up to read than I am the Twilight series, but we'll see. Right now I've been reading more "educational" books than "fun" books. Been delving into church history, psychology, childhood development, and autism. For my fun books right now, my favorite series is the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, but I have to wait for the next one to come out.

I have been reading more about autism lately as well. Of course I am always interested in psychology books as well.

Dont you see the host as original sf, Backroads? Or what books are you referring to as attempts to revitalize perfectly good stories?

While "the Host" does have things about that make it original, the idea of aliens enslaving humanity is hardly new. I found "The Host" just good ol' aliens-taking-over-humans with a nice twist.

Fan of the Greek myths and folktales eh? Or were you thinking Sumerian? :P

Actually, yes, I'm a huge fan of mythology and folktales!

I have not read any Sumerian, though at the library today I was staring at a book of Sumerian mythology. I KNEW I should have checked it out.