Getting my patriarchal blessing in two weeks

TheKitsuneFox

The purpose of your patriarchal blessing is to determine your lineage. Anything more than that is a bonus. My wife's patriarchal blessing is about 3/4 of a page long. Her old roommate's patriarchal blessing is 8 pages long. Each blessing is different. Try to remember as much as you can, you probably won't remember a lot of it, though.

I'm excited for you, my patriarchal blessing is very special to me. It's personal scripture just for you.

When I had mine the patriarch just stopped dead in his tracks at one point. After a pause he continued. As life has gone on I know why he stopped. The blessing must have been upsetting to him but it was an enormous help to me at certain points in my life because of what he said. I know he saw things in my life but I dont know that happens always.

Here is what LDS.org says about patriarchal blessings:

Declaration of Lineage

A patriarchal blessing includes a declaration of lineage, stating that the person is of the house of Israel—a descendant of Abraham, belonging to a specific tribe of Jacob. Many Latter-day Saints are of the tribe of Ephraim, the tribe given the primary responsibility to lead the latter-day work of the Lord.

Because each of us has many bloodlines running in us, two members of the same family may be declared as being of different tribes in Israel.

It does not matter if a person's lineage in the house of Israel is through bloodlines or by adoption. Church members are counted as a descendant of Abraham and an heir to all the promises and blessings contained in the Abrahamic covenant (see Abrahamic Covenant).

Learning from a Patriarchal Blessing

Those who have received a patriarchal blessing should read it humbly, prayerfully, and frequently. It contains personal revelation and instructions from Heavenly Father, who knows our strengths, weaknesses, and eternal potential. Patriarchal blessings may contain promises, admonitions, and warnings.

Those who follow the counsel in their patriarchal blessing will be less likely to go astray or be misled. Only by following the counsel in a patriarchal blessing can one receive the blessings contained therein.

While a patriarchal blessing contains inspired counsel and promises, it should not be expected to answer all of the recipient's questions or to detail all that will happen in his or her life. If the blessing does not mention an important event, such as a full-time mission or marriage, the person should not assume that he or she will not receive that opportunity.

Similarly, the recipient of the blessing should not assume that everything mentioned in it will be fulfilled in this life. A patriarchal blessing is eternal, and its promises may extend into the eternities. If one is worthy, all promises will be fulfilled in the Lord's due time. Those promises and blessings that are not realized in this life will be fulfilled in the next.

Patriarchal blessings are sacred and personal. They may be shared with immediate family members, but should not be read aloud in public or read or interpreted by others. Not even the patriarch or bishop or branch president should interpret it.

Those who have received a patriarchal blessing should treasure its words, ponder them, and live to be worthy to receive the promised blessings in this life and in the life to come.

To find out how to receive a patriarchal blessing, Church members should speak with their bishop or branch president.

When I went in for my blessing, I went to the patriarch's home and met with him and his wife. After talking for a while, we went into another room where he had two tape recorders. His wife sat and watched (and passed me tissues). He laid his hands on my head, like a normal blessing. This blessing I felt the spirit very strongly. When it was over I hugged both of them and left. A few weeks later, I recieved my copy of the written blessing in the mail.

It is a wonderful blessing for me. To this day I have a special relationship with the brother who did my patriarchal blessing (he isn't the patriarch anymore, hes a member of the temple presidency) and his wife.

With that said, I'm going to go pull mine out and read it again!

Good luck, I hope it turns out really well! I wouldn't worry too much about remembering it as it is said, just feel the spirit, and have that open communication with God. Enjoy the experience.