What are your views on ghosts?

I was thinking more somewhere between the two, really. :)

How much between the two though? Keep in mind Marely from A Christmas Carol is between the two but I don't believe such is an accurate concept of the departed.

There are spirits without bodies, either those who haven't received one (LDS believe in a premortal existence) and those who had a body but because of death are, for the time being, without one. You also have Angels which are people with resurrected bodies who aren't ghosts but I could see one describing Joseph Smith's experience with Moroni's visit to him as being ghostlike. While there is interaction between spirits and this world, you'll hear LDS talk about feeling someone's presence, they don't run around rattling chains or scaring teenage boys who go into abandoned houses.

So depending on how one defines a ghost one can get a yes or a no, thus why the distinction is important.

How much between the two though? Keep in mind Marely from A Christmas Carol is between the two but I don't believe such is an accurate concept of the departed.

There are spirits without bodies, either those who haven't received one (LDS believe in a premortal existence) and those who had a body but because of death are, for the time being, without one. You also have Angels which are people with resurrected bodies who aren't ghosts but I could see one describing Joseph Smith's experience with Moroni's visit to him as being ghostlike. While there is interaction between spirits and this world, you'll hear LDS talk about feeling someone's presence, they don't run around rattling chains or scaring teenage boys who go into abandoned houses.

So depending on how one defines a ghost one can get a yes or a no, thus why the distinction is important.

Interesting. So you do, then, believe in ghosts in the classic sense, spirits of the dead?

Our school is haunted btw, or so people say.

We believe that when we die, we go to one of two places to wait a while - paradise or spirit prison. We also believe that these places are not very far away from our mortal realm here.

Our doctrine doesn't have a heck of a lot to say about ghosts, but there is some stuff in our Gospel Principles book, chapter 41.

Latter-day prophets have said that the spirits of those who have died are not far from us. President Ezra Taft Benson said: “Sometimes the veil between this life and the life beyond becomes very thin. Our loved ones who have passed on are not far from us”

Several Latter-day prophets have said that the spirits of those who have died are not far from us. President Ezra Taft Benson said: “Sometimes the veil between this life and the life beyond becomes very thin. Our loved ones who have passed on are not far from us”

I've heard good 1sthand ghost stories from various members, including some who I consider very intelligent and not susceptible to being fooled.

I consider it fun to speculate, but we just don't know that much.

http://lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-41-the-postmortal-spirit-world?lang=eng

The link above has the Mormon understanding of what happens after death...

In a nutshell yes those who have died are still here... While some people might be more sensitive to them, we are not to seek them out or try to gain knowledge or insights from them.

Interesting. So you do, then, believe in ghosts in the classic sense, spirits of the dead?

Our school is haunted btw, or so people say.

As I said:

There are spirits without bodies, either those who haven't received one (LDS believe in a premortal existence) and those who had a body but because of death are, for the time being, without one.

With the caveat:

While there is interaction between spirits and this world, you'll hear LDS talk about feeling someone's presence, they don't run around rattling chains or scaring teenage boys who go into abandoned houses.

Edited by Dravin

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Of course they exist, Casper the friendly ghost told me!

Now to be serious, I think most members of the church believe in one "ghost" for sure- the holy ghost. I sure believe in the holy ghost. The church teaches the holy ghost is a personage and in the form of a personage. I prefer the term spirits to ghosts. I think spirits are in the form of people too. I suppose the spirit of a animal would be in the form of a animal.

I would not be suprised to find out if spirits of deceased family members visit us sometimes. Or, if angels of God come visit us and help us. On the other hand, there are probably evil spirits that visit too.

Edited by Pegasus_
Guest mirancs8

When I think Ghosts what comes to mind is a flowy sheet crossing a room saying Boo :eek:

However I do believe in Spirits. I know they exist and yes at times you can see them. But they never look like a ghost to me at least.