Author/Book recomendations?

jerome1232

Personal taste plays a major role in book preference. I tend to enjoy SF/Fantasy that has a deeper meaning or that causes me to think. Here are three...

Lilith by George McDonald - Fantasy with a religious under current. To get a taste for his fantasy style you might try a short story he wrote called The Golden Key that has a similar feel. If you like that try Lilith. I also like Phantastes.

Dying of the Light by George R. R. Martin - I'm not really a fan of his Song of Ice and Fire Series, but I loved this SF book. It has a real haunted feel to it and I couldn't guess what was going to happen. The world imagery is beautiful.

Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis - C.S. Lewis considered this his best book. It's a spin on the Psyche and Cupid story.

that the magic of the Forgotten Realms is hard to achieve at this point of the series. I would think that unless you play Dungeons and Dragons or have at least read a few of the older books in the series

As long as he's not using THAC0 I'm on board :D Actually I used to play DnD with a close group of friends but we never used the Forgotten Realms settings, we just made our own worlds. We played pretty ad'hoc.

I am adding that C.S. Lewis book to my list, I was a childhood fan of Narnia, I haven't read anything else by him.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great book. My wife just finished Enders Game and enjoyed it. The movie is coming out in 2013 and has some big names, Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield (Hugo) and possibly Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit). Should be good.

I'm a huge Brandon Sanderson fan. Have you had the chance to read Warbreaker? I really loved that book. So completely out of the box.

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss: This was a great book. I have not read the next one in the series but I've heard it's not so clean as the first book which is too bad.

I'm a big sci-fi fan, I've been reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan for awhile now, which lead me into reading Brandon Sanderson (he took over Wheel of Time when Robert Jordan died and he happens to be lds, which get's him brownie points). I absolutely fell in love with his writing (Mistborn and Stormlight Archives are amazing) while I'm waiting for the his next book I was looking for a new series to start.

Any recommendations?

Timothy Zahn-

Conquerer Trilogy

Star Wars trilogies (such as Dark Force rising)

The Dragonback series (and don't let the young adult genre thing fool you, these are very good)

COBRA

Icharus Hunt

C.J Cherryh's stuff. I especially like her Foreigner series.

Isaac asimov's short stories, foundation series, and robot series.

The Death Gate Cycle by weis and hickman (and also their dragonlance stuff)

Dragonlance stuff is pretty good in general.

The Legend of Huma

Kaz the Minotaur

Land of the Minotaurs

The Dark elf Exile trilogy (About Drizzt Do'Urden).

The birth of the Firebringer trilogy.

2001, 2010 by arthur C Clarke

David Brin's Uplift War series

Larry Niven's Man-Kzin Wars, and other Known Universe short stories.

The Shannara series by Terry brooks, as well as his Magic kingdom of landover series.

Starship troopers by heinlein

A Tunnel through Time

Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars series and Tarzan series.

Dale Browns cold war fiction, such as Flight of the Old Dog are really good

Tom Clancy's stuff is real good.

Micheal Crichton's stuff is really good, like Andromeda Strain and Jurassic Park.

Stainless steel rat series are both good and funny. by harry harrison

Dinotopia.

Expedition by Douglas Wayne Barlowe (he's the guy that designed the critters in Avatar)

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind perfect collection (be warned this is an entry drug for manga :P).

Tom Clancy is from the Tolkein school of writing. LOL!

:ahntah:

I'd also recommend -

The Deed of Paksenarrion - Elizabeth Moon

The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls - Lois McMaster Bujold

Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks (kind of edgy)

Joe Abercrombies work has awesome dialogue, best I've ever read, but he occasionally throws in some pointless inappropriate scenes.