New to LDS but with a question.

Swag

So, I am a junior in high school at thr moment. I am currently involved in 2 programs here called Christ 4 life and FCA. It was in these programs that I started to doubt the teachings I was being told. I always was at odds with trinitarianism. I never understood how Jesus would explictly say not to pray to him but through him and that he prayed to the Father in the garden of Gethsamine. The LDS faith seems to answer all of my questions about the gospel. I studied for the span of about a year about it and found that it is yhe closest thing to what I believed and fit in with the bible very nicely. I now consider myself to be an unofficial member of the Church. But I do have one nagging question of the doctine.

I do not believe that anything was before God or can br equal. Now I know that the church has no official stance on this issue, but I was wondering what people think/believe on this manner. I personally have a belief that the gods (notice lowercase g) which we can become are in no way the same as God (notice uppercase G) for we still worship our Heavenly Father. I believe from my studies that we can become (for lack of a better word) akin to Angels as we are a celestial being that still worships God.

This brings me to my third question. Is any of this allowable to the church. Is this in conflict to any church doctine. All inputs to this manner are greatly appreciated

Is any of this allowable to the church. Is this in conflict to any church doctine.

As long as there is no official church doctrine I see no problem with your believing the things you've discussed. All I'd say, and I'd say this to anyone, is don't teach it as church doctrine. But we're all quirky -- I'm a Big Bang and evolutionist, and that hasn't gotten me kicked out, though I'm pretty sure it's not mainstream LDS doctrine. :o

I think your thoughts lines up with exactly what has been taught in the Church:

“The Father is the

one true God. This thing is certain: no one will ever ascend above Him; no one will ever replace

Him. Nor will anything ever change the relationship that we, His literal offspring, have with

Him. He is Elohim, the Father. He is God. Of Him there is only one. We revere our Father and

our God; we worship Him.” (Boyd K. Packer, Ensign Nov. 1984 pg. 69)

So, I am a junior in high school at thr moment. I am currently involved in 2 programs here called Christ 4 life and FCA. It was in these programs that I started to doubt the teachings I was being told. I always was at odds with trinitarianism. I never understood how Jesus would explictly say not to pray to him but through him and that he prayed to the Father in the garden of Gethsamine. The LDS faith seems to answer all of my questions about the gospel. I studied for the span of about a year about it and found that it is yhe closest thing to what I believed and fit in with the bible very nicely. I now consider myself to be an unofficial member of the Church. But I do have one nagging question of the doctine.

I do not believe that anything was before God or can br equal. Now I know that the church has no official stance on this issue, but I was wondering what people think/believe on this manner. I personally have a belief that the gods (notice lowercase g) which we can become are in no way the same as God (notice uppercase G) for we still worship our Heavenly Father. I believe from my studies that we can become (for lack of a better word) akin to Angels as we are a celestial being that still worships God.

This brings me to my third question. Is any of this allowable to the church. Is this in conflict to any church doctine. All inputs to this manner are greatly appreciated

My view if God wants anyone as equals he can make them so... However that being said, I do believe an individual can become perfect, become knowledgeable as to know and see all things and gain the ability to use all knowledge. But I dont see how such an individual would ever catch up to God the father in works and deeds, nor can i see any reason of how or why they could cease worshipping and glorifying the Father at that point as well, and remain in such a state. I doubt that Christ will ever cease to worship or bring glory to his father either (and quite frankly the account of christ is probably the best window we have to see how Godbthe father is Like).

All we know is that we can become like God, but we have little detail on all of the specifics that encompasses. Christ is our prime example here and has shown us how we can become. Do we ever replace God? No. Do we ever stop worshipping God without leaving his presence or ceasing from progressing? No.

And finally will your view get you in trouble with the lds church? No. Its fine, as long as its not taught as doctrine of the LDS church.

I look at it this way. Unless and until God sees fit to explain more fully, I am free to have the perspective I find most logical and reasonable to my understanding. So, in light of that, I would make somewhat of a comparison. Let us say I have a wonderful mortal father (that wasn't the case I'm afraid, but let's pretend). No matter what I do throughout my life, that man will always be my father. That is a fact of biology that nothing can change or alter. So no matter what I do and no matter how many other wonderful fathers may exist out there in the world, that changes nothing for me, because my father is and always will be the father of my mortality. No one can replace him or take that position from him.

Also I, as my father's child, even if I were to become a parent in my own right (that was not the case either, but let's pretend) and no matter how good and wonderful a parent I may become to children of my own, I would still hold my father in deference as the father who gave me mortal life, and my children, who would likewise give me deference as their parent, would hold my father in deference as their grandfather, and so on through each generation. So no matter how many, or how few, fathers (or grandfathers, etc.) may exist out there, it would not change the relationship I have with my father, nor would it change for my children, and so on. As I see it, that would be the reasonable and logical patriarchal order of things, not only in earth, but also in heaven.

So, with God the Father being my Eternal Heavenly Father and God, nothing can change that, just as nothing can change the reality that Jesus Christ is the author and Father of my eternal salvation. No being can, nor ever could, replace, supplant, or usurp that position, because it's a reality in fact. So, not knowing all there is to know about Godly things and the heavenly order of things, it matters not to me if there are other beings in existence that do the things God Himself does. Nor does it matter if I might one day reach a point where I could also do things like my Heavenly Father can. I have no problem theologically with that idea, because nothing can change the reality that God the Father is literally my Heavenly Father and God so nothing can or will ever change that truth. Therefore I find that sufficient for my present understanding and unless and until He sees fit to explain more fully the details of eternal things, I'm satisfied with holding that perspective.

I dont think that the belief you have is wrong. I dont know what to believe about: if there was something before God: as it is not told us. It really does not matter in our salvation and we are here to get through this part of our eternity. I believe we can speculate, but we need to be clear in what is spekulating as long as we are not given more light about things. We cant push our opinion, speculation, as truth to anyone. So if someone claims this or that and you dont believe it and it is not in the scriptures be in peace you are right! Remember speculations are not part of what is expected the LDS to believe.

I believe that God will always be above us, no matter if He would make us same level as He is. It is like a father or mother, you can become even cleverer than them, but you will always be their child.... and hopefully act respectfully.

Dont worry about thingsd you dont understand at the moment... life is like a long staircase, on each stepp you learn something new adn jumpping too fast or over steps can cause you to loose your balance and roll down adn hurt yourself... step by step is the safest way to God. Not every staircase are alike, everyone has their problems to overcome, their part of knowledge they must aceive. Your staircase is made jsut for you, you cant compare your staircase with someone eleses either. It is to make you whole.

I know very good people in the Church that believe as you do. Reading Abraham might be comforting to you.

I believe there is more to the unity of "God" than we can understand. It's like when you graduate from an academy you become part of, or the same as, all those who have gone on before. You carry on the tradition of those graduates. In a different way you become one with them. The Priesthood is something we don't fully understand yet. It is without beginning of days and will be without end of years. We are meant to be one through this Priesthood. I believe much like you, but I also can't deny that we have been shown the way to perfection and exaltation (which exaltation includes having children), and so we get a glimpse of who God is and where He might come from. In my mind it helps me understand Him better as a Parent, and why He would love us as imperfect beings.

Edited by Justice

Hello!

You are just like me! I was a convert in Junior High (5 years ago)! I sought out the church for the same reasons you did!

I have to say, I, like you, thought so much stuff just made so much more sense from an LDS perspective. However, in the beginning, there were always some things that troubled me. But, as I continued my studies of my new faith all the wrinkles began to flatten out. Things began to make a lot more sense and I really don't have trouble with any aspect of our doctrine. I have a feeling maybe you too will find this.

I feel as though you have received some terrific advice so far, so I really have no more to say! You have some very reliable people answer your questions!

Thanks for your advice so far. This brings me to my second question. So the BOA is kind of like Genesis 2.0? I am currently reading the D&C and Ive heard about the BOA and read things about its generalities, but I do not understand the points it makes to doctrinw completely. Ive read FAIRWiki and on the Book of Abraham it is moatly anti-criticisms. Can somebody please outline the the new doctrine that is presented.

I love the Book of Abraham. :) I never really thought of it in terms of containing new doctrine, likely because I was raised in the LDS faith and it has always been part of my learning in conjunction with Biblical accounts. But I would probably describe it as the restoration of a more expanded and detailed view of ancient doctrines, as revealed to Abraham, which more fully explain things such things as (from chapter 3) the eternal nature of our spirits, our pre-mortal existence with God, the choosing of our Savior, etc., along with an account of the creation, as well as other details of Abraham's life. I'm sure you will enjoy your study of it. :)

Thanks for your advice so far. This brings me to my second question. So the BOA is kind of like Genesis 2.0? I am currently reading the D&C and Ive heard about the BOA and read things about its generalities, but I do not understand the points it makes to doctrinw completely. Ive read FAIRWiki and on the Book of Abraham it is moatly anti-criticisms. Can somebody please outline the the new doctrine that is presented.

The Pearl of Great Price is 2 books, Moses and Abraham.

The book of Moses is Genesis 1.0

Genesis in its current versions has been watered down over the years with mis-translations etc.

Moses chapter 1 didn't even make it into the current version of Genesis. It is a great read. Satan probally had a hand in making sure that Moses chapter one did not make it into the current version of Genesis.

Abraham is a very small book of only 5 chapters and 3 drawings.

The first 2 chapters are an account of Abraham's life from his personal perspective.

Chapter 3 discusses the Universe (astronomy) and the pre-mortal existence.

Chapter 4 & 5 recount the Spiritual creation of the Earth

I love the Pearl of Great Price. The name is fitting. The material is short but of great worth.