Mysterious stone carvings found in Jerusalem

nosmelone

I stumbled across this article on Yahoo news today and found it pretty interesting. I'm sure that most LDS temple goers have a basic idea of what these carvings may be in regards too but I don't think its that simple. I just thought I'd throw this out here and see if anyone else has any thoughts on the subject. Here's the article link: Enjoy

Experts stumped by ancient Jerusalem markings - Yahoo! News

I stumbled across this article on Yahoo news today and found it pretty interesting. I'm sure that most LDS temple goers have a basic idea of what these carvings may be in regards too but I don't think its that simple. I just thought I'd throw this out here and see if anyone else has any thoughts on the subject. Here's the article link: Enjoy

Experts stumped by ancient Jerusalem markings - Yahoo! News

The Masons use the symbol of the compass and square:

Posted Image

If you're referring to this, I don't think the markings bear much resemblance to the compass and square.

What symbolic purpose would be served by deep, V-shaped carvings in a stone floor? I might as well point to a flock of migrating geese and say, "Look! Proof of the divinity of temples!"

Our brains are pattern-finding and pattern-matching computers of astounding ability, but often we see patterns and connections that simply are not there, like finding castles and puppies in the clouds.

What symbolic purpose would be served by deep, V-shaped carvings in a stone floor? I might as well point to a flock of migrating geese and say, "Look! Proof of the divinity of temples!"

Our brains are pattern-finding and pattern-matching computers of astounding ability, but often we see patterns and connections that simply are not there, like finding castles and puppies in the clouds.

I do agree with that and thats why I figured I'd get some feedback as well. By the way thats a cool avatar, do you see the puppy in it?

....or the face of the devil in a mushroom cloud. Just kidding.

I thought the same thing about those markings.

We live near an area where the local indians went to get their salt. There are really interesting markings on the ground where arrowheads and knives and the like were sharpened. I think if I were to have to do something that boring for hours on end, I'd be tempted to make designs in the ground since I was sitting there anyway.

That doesn't mean it should be dismissed entirely either, though. Early Christians did not do everything exactly the same way we do today, let alone early Jews. They may have had sacred symbols carved in the ground just as we have symbols carved all over our Temples. That is a possibility. But it just as possible that a child with a stick was bored one day and began carving into the ground. The fact is that we just don't know what they are or what they were used for and we can only speculate on what they are.

Maybe the 1 is a symbol of the 1/3rd that followed Satan and the other 2 represent us. :)

Is that dirt they are carved into? I was thinking it was rock. If so it took work not idle doodling to do.

Is it possible its a hole for structural posts to be put into for an altar?

It looks like rock to me and in the article they speculated that it may have been for some sort of posts as well. I would agree that it doesn't seem to represent ancient doodling either the shapes a measurements seem very precise.