Giving Blessings

circusboy01

Guest gopecon

I've heard it both ways as well. I think the benefit of letting someone ask is that they are making a positive show of faith in their request. To get around this, I will try to offer in a way that the person still makes the request. Me - "If you would like, we can give you a blessing." Sick person - "I would like that, would you do that for me?" I don't try to talk people into getting one, I think that crosses the line.

As a side note, Patriarchs are specifically told not to solicit opportunities to give patriarchal blessings from individuals. Speaking about them in general is fine, but approaching a specific person to encourage them to receive one is discouraged.

Quick question about this post. Should I have put it in LDS Gospel Discussion, instead of General?

It's probably more appropriate. I moved it there for you.

In regards to the topic of the thread:

We're not supposed to solicit blessings, which I read that we're not suppose to be going around just asking people if they'd want a blessing. For instance showing up at the local hospital and asking random people if they want a blessing (aka tracting for blessings) would be an extreme example of soliciting blessings. That said it doesn't preclude reminding someone that a blessing is an option. Particularly if you have reason to believe the person isn't likely to realize it is one such as the case of a sick child or a recent convert (or even an investigator). And of course the all important caveat of being prompted exists.

As Gopecon mentions when it is such a situation I also like to phrase things such that it's a reminder instead of a direct request. But I'm sure exceptions exists, the aforementioned child may require a more obvious approach.

A blessing can be requested or solicited by the individual needing the blessing or a person who has a vested interest in the person needing a blessing (as discussed in the Church Handbook of Instruction). While it doesn't really discuss a variety of examples of who would be such a 'stakeholder', family members or custodial guardians qualify in my mind. I think that may (in some cases at least) extend to home/visiting teachers or church leadership where their stewardships intersect with the person if not usurping parental/custodial jurisdictions. I think Dravin gave good examples of 'soliciting' blessings.

Edited by Magen_Avot

Thanks to all three of you. sounds like you can't say " get over here, and sit down.I'm giving you a blessing." But you can say, " You might think about asking someone for a blessing."

You see. I didn't know if the little hints and verbal nudging were O.K. I find the biggest reason people don't ask for blessings, Is because they don't think their sick enough. Like " I just have a cold. If it gets any worse, maybe I'll ask for a blessing." It's like they think their allowed only so many, and they don't want to use them up, on the small stuff.

Brother Ray

It's probably more appropriate. I moved it there for you.

In regards to the topic of the thread:

We're not supposed to solicit blessings, which I read that we're not suppose to be going around just asking people if they'd want a blessing. For instance showing up at the local hospital and asking random people if they want a blessing (aka tracting for blessings) would be an extreme example of soliciting blessings. That said it doesn't preclude reminding someone that a blessing is an option. Particularly if you have reason to believe the person isn't likely to realize it is one such as the case of a sick child or a recent convert (or even an investigator). And of course the all important caveat of being prompted exists.

As Gopecon mentions when it is such a situation I also like to phrase things such that it's a reminder instead of a direct request. But I'm sure exceptions exists, the aforementioned child may require a more obvious approach.

Thanks for moving the post for me.

Guest gopecon

Thanks to all three of you. sounds like you can't say " get over here, and sit down.I'm giving you a blessing." But you can say, " You might think about asking someone for a blessing."

You see. I didn't know if the little hints and verbal nudging were O.K. I find the biggest reason people don't ask for blessings, Is because they don't think their sick enough. Like " I just have a cold. If it gets any worse, maybe I'll ask for a blessing." It's like they think their allowed only so many, and they don't want to use them up, on the small stuff.

Brother Ray

There's certainly no quota on blessings - on either the blesser or the blessee. It is good to let people know that priesthood holders are available and very willing to give blessings. No one should ever feel like they are troubling someone to ask them to exercise their priesthood.

That said, if things are truly trivial I wonder how necessary a blessing really is. Please don't misunderstand, I'm happy to give someone a blessing anytime if they think they need it, but if you just have a cold that will likely run its course in a couple of days...a blessing is probably overkill.

There's certainly no quota on blessings - on either the blesser or the blessee. It is good to let people know that priesthood holders are available and very willing to give blessings. No one should ever feel like they are troubling someone to ask them to exercise their priesthood.

That said, if things are truly trivial I wonder how necessary a blessing really is. Please don't misunderstand, I'm happy to give someone a blessing anytime if they think they need it, but if you just have a cold that will likely run its course in a couple of days...a blessing is probably overkill.

You're right. A cold wasn't a very good example. Brother Ray

Can you offer a blessing to someone, or do you have to wait until they ask? Iv'e heard both ways. I'd really like to know, for sure, how it works. Perhaps this is information that others could use also. Brother Ray

A priesthood holder acts for G-d. I have never heard of G-d telling someone they better receive a blessing. In fact if we read in the LDS Bible dictionary concerning prayer - we find that many blessings are held in reserve in heaven until someone asks.

The Traveler

My Stake Pres. was discussing this very thing with my husband and I. He had been instructed about it by Gen. Auth. He said that no, someone does not have to ask, what if they are incapacitated, in a coma or unable to indicate that they wish for a blessing...do you wait hoping they will later recover enough to request one? Of course you don't.

A Blessing Fulfilled - Ensign Mar. 1988 - ensign

Intensive Care - Ensign Sept. 1990 - ensign

here are a couple of Ensign articles about it. I do think, though, that any blessing of this nature will also accompany an exhibition of faith on someone's part, such as the woman who reached out to touch Jesus' clothing to be healed, the blind man who washed with water as he was asked. Often this exhibition of faith is done by asking for the healing, or at least a 'help thou my unbelief' but is sometimes done afterward, such as when Jesus healed the ten lepers, they did as they were told and they were healed, though only one acknowledged gratitude.

I have another link that tells about giving blessings, it lists the necessary parts of a blessing, and a request is not mentioned... the link is very interesting and I think you will find it helpful Healing the Sick - general-conference

A priesthood holder acts for G-d. I have never heard of G-d telling someone they better receive a blessing. In fact if we read in the LDS Bible dictionary concerning prayer - we find that many blessings are held in reserve in heaven until someone asks.

The Traveler

Now see what you did. I thought I had it all figured out. Brother Ray:D

My Stake Pres. was discussing this very thing with my husband and I. He had been instructed about it by Gen. Auth. He said that no, someone does not have to ask, what if they are incapacitated, in a coma or unable to indicate that they wish for a blessing...do you wait hoping they will later recover enough to request one? Of course you don't.

A Blessing Fulfilled - Ensign Mar. 1988 - ensign

Intensive Care - Ensign Sept. 1990 - ensign

here are a couple of Ensign articles about it. I do think, though, that any blessing of this nature will also accompany an exhibition of faith on someone's part, such as the woman who reached out to touch Jesus' clothing to be healed, the blind man who washed with water as he was asked. Often this exhibition of faith is done by asking for the healing, or at least a 'help thou my unbelief' but is sometimes done afterward, such as when Jesus healed the ten lepers, they did as they were told and they were healed, though only one acknowledged gratitude.

I have another link that tells about giving blessings, it lists the necessary parts of a blessing, and a request is not mentioned... the link is very interesting and I think you will find it helpful Healing the Sick - general-conference

You make a very strong point. Thank you. I will go to the healing the sick link.

Brother Ray

I don't remember the exact details but I remember reading a little story in the Ensign that seemed to indicate that it was only appropriate to recieve one priesthood blessing per 'problem', so if you have asked for a priesthood blessing for a medical condition then it is up to you and your faith to recieve the blessings associated with the priesthood blessing delievered, and it wasn't exactly appropriate to keep getting priesthood blessings for the same issue. I'll try to find it, but it was a long time ago.

I don't remember the exact details but I remember reading a little story in the Ensign that seemed to indicate that it was only appropriate to recieve one priesthood blessing per 'problem', so if you have asked for a priesthood blessing for a medical condition then it is up to you and your faith to recieve the blessings associated with the priesthood blessing delievered, and it wasn't exactly appropriate to keep getting priesthood blessings for the same issue. I'll try to find it, but it was a long time ago.

Jayanna's healing the sick link touches on the subject, it quotes President Kimball when he says:

President Kimball even suggested that “too frequent administrations may be an indication of lack of faith or of the ill one trying to pass the responsibility for faith development to the elders rather than self.” He told about a faithful sister who received a priesthood blessing. When asked the next day if she wished to be administered to again, she replied: “No, I have been anointed and administered to. The ordinance has been performed. It is up to me now to claim my blessing through my faith.”

I don't think it uncommon for a Home Teacher to ask if I or a specific family member needs one, based on our conversation. If, during their visit, I was to mention that I was going to be having surgery, they might then ask if I wished to have a blessing.

I thinkl if I were a home teacher

,and a member of the family My companion and I were visiting told us he was going to have an operation. I would definitely ask if he/she wanted s blessing. How-ever I would wait until the visit was almost over. Giving them a chance to ask. If they ask they are showing Heavenly Father that they believe in the healing power of His Priesthood. Naturally, if they didn't ask, I would offer.

I don't know about anyone else. But, I'm really enjoying this thread. Kind of reminds me of a gospel doctrine class.where there is so much conversation about the subject. The teacher doesn't have time to finish the lesson. But, the brothers and sisters leave class knowing as much, if not more then if the regular lesson had been taught. Brother Ray