Why Men and Women Can't Be Friends

StrawberryFields

I've decided I will never understand "why" men can't put the attraction aside and be friends with women. :huh:

We probably can. However, wives get jealous, and both society and the church see their concerns as legitimate. Besides, most men harbor grandiose visions of running for President some day. ;)

Wow. That is actually really interesting- that the women pretty much universally answered "yes" and only changed their answer upon closer inspection of how their "guy friends" likely harbored deeper feelings. And the guys all answered no....

I wonder if its an anomoly, or if we'd see similar results if this were turned into an actual study...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most of my bestest of friends are guys. No, they're not attracted to me. No, I'm REALLY friends with them. Yes, one of them don't talk to me anymore because his wife forbade him (even called me a husband-stealing vulture in an email and copied a bunch of my male friends including my husband)...

Two possibilities:

1- She was seeing things in her husband that were not there.

2- She was seeing things in her husband that were there.

It sounds like you're very invested in believing #1 and rejecting #2. But I'm thinking #2 doesn't get rejected as easily as you'd like.

I'm best friends with the guy since we were 12. So, no. It's not #2. You're forgetting #3 - she's of the opinion that people of the opposite gender who spend a lot of time talking on the phone can never REALLY be just friends. Unfortunately, there are quite a lot of people (some in this forum even) that are of the same opinion.

You may be his long time friend, but she's his forever companion. If she's not comfortable, she gets the say. Your friend is a smart guy to put his marriage first.

I agree... for the most part. She's not the only one that has a say. Her husband has one too. Me - I don't get a say. I get to take the high ground and stay out of it, even if it hurt me as well, and even when the attack was directed straight at me and indirectly at my husband.