Celestial Kingdom

sister_in_faith

Okay, I'm gonna ask a silly convert question...

We talk about the three kingdoms of heaven, and in another thread it was just mentioned that the CK is also divided into three 'sections'... I have heard this before, but I don't really know that much about how people are divided into those three sections.

What qualifies (or disqualifies) you from each level and what blessings are attached to each level? Is there a name for the first two levels?

Okay, I'm gonna ask a silly convert question...

We talk about the three kingdoms of heaven, and in another thread it was just mentioned that the CK is also divided into three 'sections'... I have heard this before, but I don't really know that much about how people are divided into those three sections.

What qualifies (or disqualifies) you from each level and what blessings are attached to each level? Is there a name for the first two levels?

This doctrine arises from D&C 131, which begins:

In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees; and in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]; and if he does not, he cannot obtain it. He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase.

The traditional interpretation of this is that "the celestial glory" refers to the celestial kingdom, so the "three heavens or degrees" mentioned must mean "subdivisions" of some sort in that kingdom.

But another way of interpreting the scripture is that "the celestial glory" simply means "heaven", as it is often referred to. (That is, "heaven" is often termed "celestial", which after all just means "heavenly".) If this interpretation is correct, then these opening lines to D&C 131 simply reaffirm the doctrine taught in Section 76 about the celestial, terrestrial, and telestial kingdoms.

It is my opinion that the latter is probably true, and that we misunderstand Section 131 to be subdividing the celestial kingdom when, in fact, it simply reaffirms the "three degrees of glory" doctrine we already know. But as they say, my opinion and two bucks will buy you a cup of hot chocolate at Starbucks.

Elder Nelson shares the three levels within the celestial kingdom interpretation ( Celestial Marriage - general-conference ) and the church website offers it as well (Kingdoms of Glory).

Though there is precedence for this kinda thing. When Isaiah talks about a voice from the dust having a familiar spirit a lot of members take it to mean not a reference to necromancy (basically it's a statement that it'll be like a voice from the grave) but that it'll feel similar in spirit and tenor to the Bible (and interpretation I've heard from official sources as well as conference). I think it was Volgadon (I may be mis-remembering) who made a good case for the necromancy intended meaning rather than the 'feels the same' rendering.

I suppose ultimately it's not important in a practical sense, our goal (and God's goal for us) is the tippy top no matter how you slice it.

Edited by Dravin

Yes, there are 3 divisions in the Celestial Kingdom, whether actual boundary lines or not is not said. But, sealing for all time and eternity with proper authority, and remaining faithful to the covenants made at that time, is what is necessary to obtain the highest degree (other than of course the obvious, having Christ's atonement applied to your sins and being washed clean by His sacrifice, and His resurrection of your body to a Celestial one).

That there are three divisions we have been taught.

Highest within the celestial kingdom: A celestial man and woman married for eternity who are able to progress and eventually become god's and have spirit children.

We also know that those who are worthy to obtain a celestial glory but are not so sealed to a spouse become angels to the god's for all eternity.

Whether or not such classification falls 2nd or 3rd we do not know. We also don't know who the other grouping consists of. As far as I know, it simply hasn't been revealed.

They will be angels and servants. Here are a few quotes which mention it among many:

Such as have not received the fullness of the priesthood, (for the fullness of the priesthood includes the authority of both king and priest) and have not been anointed and ordained in the temple of the Most High, may obtain salvation in the celestial kingdom, but not a celestial crown. Many are called to enjoy a celestial glory, yet few are chosen to wear a celestial crown, or rather, to be rulers in the celestial kingdom.

(Orson Hyde, “A Diagram of the Kingdom of God,” Millennial Star, vol. 9, no. ----, 15 January 1847, 23–24).

Brigham Young: [8 March 1857]

When we get before father Adam and the innumerable company that will come before him-when we draw near to the Ancient of Days with the rest of his children, and receive his approbation, shall we not be safe? If we can pass the sentinel Joseph the Prophet, we shall go into the celestial kingdom, and not a man can injure us. If he says, "God bless you, come along here;" if we will live so that Joseph will justify us, and say, "Here am I, brethren," we shall pass every sentinel; there will be no danger but that we will pass into the celestial kingdom. Will we all become gods, and be crowned kings? No, my brethren, there will be millions on millions, even the greater party of the celestial world, who will not be capable of a fullness of that glory, immortality, eternal lives and a continuation of them, yet they will go into the celestial kingdom. Will this people all go into that kingdom? I think a good many will have to be burnt out like an old pipe, before they can go into any decent kingdom.

Think how many have come into this church, from the commencement of it until now, and apostatized. Will our present population equal them in number? No, it would be like a drop in a bucket, compared with them. Do you know of any other people's striving to enter in at the strait gate besides this people? Yes, many in the sectarian world, and the honest among the heathen nations are seeking with all their mights to enter in, and I do not know but what they are the foolish virgins that brother Hyde has been talking about. The parable will apply to them, as well as to a portion of this people. They live according to the moral law given to them, and no people can be morally any better than are thousands and millions of them, for they have spent days and years on their knees to get the power we have, but could not obtain it. Why? Because they had not the keys of the everlasting Priesthood. Where will they go? To heaven, and they will have all the heaven, bliss, and crowns that they have anticipated in the flesh, and then you may add a hundred fold more. Can they go into the celestial kingdom? No, not without the keys of that kingdom.

(Journal of Discourses, 4:272).

Orson Pratt: [7 October 1869]

The celestial angels have not attained to all of the power and greatness and exaltation of kings and priests in the presence of God; they are blessed with glory, happiness, peace and joy; but they are not blessed with the privilege of increasing their posterity to all ages of eternity, neither have they thrones and kingdoms, but they are servants to those of the highest order.

(Journal of Discourses, 13:188).

Orson Pratt: [11 July 1875]

—“In the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage.” To whom was He talking? Not to the righteous, but to some of the members of the pious denominations that happened to exist in that day, that had in some measure lost the Spirit of the Lord. Such never having been married for eternity in this world could rise no higher than angels in the next world; and if they became righteous enough to become celestial angels, they would be servants forever. Servants to whom? Those that are worthy to receive a kingdom and a glory, that have attended to their ordinances and to the commandments of God, and have been led by Him in all things pertaining to marriage as well as other things.

(Journal of Discourses, 18:51).

Can someone explain what the Celestial Kingdom is supposed to be like? If there are three degrees, are they separated from each other? Are the "angels" mentioned as being in the second degree the same "angels" that are mentioned in the Bible?

And what is going on in the other two kingdoms? Who gets to go to each kingdom?

Is spirit prison a real place, like the kingdoms of heaven?

If God and Christ have tangible bodies, where are they in heaven? Are they in the same kingdom? Do they move about them all?

Why exactly was Christ sent to Earth? I have been told that He was sent to show us the plan of salvation. If that's the case, why didn't He marry while on Earth, since that is the plan of getting to the highest degree of the highest kingdom? Why would He show us the way to return to God, but not show us the way to be exalted?

So as a single person who probably won't have the opportunity to marry in the temple in this life time..I get to be someone else's angel forever...well if that isn't some motivation commit sin to get the heck out of the celestial kingdom I don't what is...

I can either be someone's servant in heaven or do nothing in lower kingdoms...oh the choices.

So as a single person who probably won't have the opportunity to marry in the temple in this life time..I get to be someone else's angel forever...well if that isn't some motivation commit sin to get the heck out of the celestial kingdom I don't what is...

I can either be someone's servant in heaven or do nothing in lower kingdoms...oh the choices.

Yes, choosing to live with Christ and Heavenly Father in the Celestial kingdom or... laziness. Actually I doubt those in any kingdom of glory will just be sitting there with nothing to do.

Edited by Dravin

That's funny!

I remember when I was a fairly new member to the church hearing a single sister ask a couple if she didn't get married if she could be a servant in their 'celestial household'. And I was thinking, huh? :confused: But I later figured out what she was referring to.

Oh, and the couple in all seriousness said, yes. Personally I think it's a little too early to start recruiting servants. hee hee hee.

Too funny.

Can someone explain what the Celestial Kingdom is supposed to be like?

No.

"Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man the things that God hath prepared for them that love him."

But our lives here are patterned after eternal life, so we can get some hazy idea by looking at how life is supposed to be lived in mortality.

Okay, so basically, the first degree is for servants (those who didn't find the 'one'), the second degree, we don't know, and the third degree is for those who did get married, and they are considered exhaulted.

Is that it in a nutshell?

Yes except I would alter your statement slightly.

the first degree is for servants (ministering angels) who have the fullness of opportunities to marry in this life, to be determined by god, and do not do so.

Also, we don't know if the first degree as per mentioned above is the unknown second degree with the first being the unknown instead.

Are you making a funny?

If you are being serious, then please do some research. The prophets have said, repeatedly (and usually aimed at women, but lately it's been aimed at both), that those who have not had an opportunity to be sealed to a spouse in this life WILL have the opportunity at a later time. If you CHOOSE to not be sealed to a spouse (and this is assuming you have been given ample opportunities for such--which opportunities can only be judged by God), then you will be choosing to not be exalted.

Are you making a funny?

If you are being serious, then please do some research. The prophets have said, repeatedly (and usually aimed at women, but lately it's been aimed at both), that those who have not had an opportunity to be sealed to a spouse in this life WILL have the opportunity at a later time.

Can you be more specific about those that have not had an opportunity? Who exactly does that mean? Does it mean the child that dies at ten years of age? Does it mean the woman who wanted to wait until she is 40 to marry but dies when she is 39? What about the young man or woman who was abused as a child and hates the thought of marrying or even touching someone the rest of their lives?

Can you be more specific about those that have not had an opportunity? Who exactly does that mean? Does it mean the child that dies at ten years of age? Does it mean the woman who wanted to wait until she is 40 to marry but dies when she is 39? What about the young man or woman who was abused as a child and hates the thought of marrying or even touching someone the rest of their lives?

Why did you cut off the portion of her post that addresses the question of what qualifies as an opportunity?

If you CHOOSE to not be sealed to a spouse (and this is assuming you have been given ample opportunities for such--which opportunities can only be judged by God), then you will be choosing to not be exalted.

Edited by Dravin

Can someone explain what the Celestial Kingdom is supposed to be like?

What Vort said.

If there are three degrees, are they separated from each other?

Most Mormons would tell you yes. My personal interpretation is, "not necessarily".

Are the "angels" mentioned as being in the second degree the same "angels" that are mentioned in the Bible?

In some cases, probably so.

And what is going on in the other two kingdoms? Who gets to go to each kingdom?

The applicable Mormon scripture here is Doctrine and Covenants Section 76.

Is spirit prison a real place, like the kingdoms of heaven?

Well, I personally don't subscribe to the notion that the kingdoms of heaven are "places" per se. Our scripture tells us that the earth will be sanctified and will become a home for those who have received a Celestial glory; but that isn't the same thing.

That said: "Spirit prison" is a "real" state of existence just as much as anything else in the Mormon notion of an afterlife. But it is temporary--a place of punishment for the wicked, and a place of learning for those who had no opportunity to receive the fulness of the Gospel. It ends at the Resurrection, after which time a person is assigned to one of the three kingdoms of Glory or to "outer darkness", the Mormon version of Hell.

If God and Christ have tangible bodies, where are they in heaven? Are they in the same kingdom? Do they move about them all?

They are wherever they wish to be, I assume. Mormon doctrine posits no idea as to exactly how they "move". We are told that those who have been given a Celestial glory may benefit from the personal ministry of both the Father and the Son; those with a Terrestrial glory receive the ministry from the Son only.

Why exactly was Christ sent to Earth? I have been told that He was sent to show us the plan of salvation.

Partly; but primarily the need was the Atonement. See Alma 42 in the Book of Mormon.

If that's the case, why didn't He marry while on Earth, since that is the plan of getting to the highest degree of the highest kingdom? Why would He show us the way to return to God, but not show us the way to be exalted?

It is by no means certain that Jesus did not marry; though modern Mormonism doesn't take a formal opinion one way or the other.

What Vort said.

Most Mormons would tell you yes. My personal interpretation is, "not necessarily".

In some cases, probably so.

The applicable Mormon scripture here is Doctrine and Covenants Section 76.

Well, I personally don't subscribe to the notion that the kingdoms of heaven are "places" per se. Our scripture tells us that the earth will be sanctified and will become a home for those who have received a Celestial glory; but that isn't the same thing.

That said: "Spirit prison" is a "real" state of existence just as much as anything else in the Mormon notion of an afterlife. But it is temporary--a place of punishment for the wicked, and a place of learning for those who had no opportunity to receive the fulness of the Gospel. It ends at the Resurrection, after which time a person is assigned to one of the three kingdoms of Glory or to "outer darkness", the Mormon version of Hell.

They are wherever they wish to be, I assume. Mormon doctrine posits no idea as to exactly how they "move". We are told that those who have been given a Celestial glory may benefit from the personal ministry of both the Father and the Son; those with a Terrestrial glory receive the ministry from the Son only.

Partly; but primarily the need was the Atonement. See Alma 42 in the Book of Mormon.

It is by no means certain that Jesus did not marry; though modern Mormonism doesn't take a formal opinion one way or the other.

Thank you for all your answers!

I must admit that I thought Spirit Prison and Outer Darkness were the same thing. Can you explain a little more about the two? I wasn't aware that Spirit Prison was temporary... could it be compared to the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory? Because that is kind of what it sounds like to me. (The Catholic Church has an idea of spirit prison in which the prophets prior to Christ went until His death.)

Also- who exactly goes to the Telestial Kingdom? From what I could figure out, it's not very good people? People who "are thrust down to hell." How is the Telestial Kingdom different, then, from Outer Darkness?

Thank you for all your answers!

I must admit that I thought Spirit Prison and Outer Darkness were the same thing. Can you explain a little more about the two? I wasn't aware that Spirit Prison was temporary... could it be compared to the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory? Because that is kind of what it sounds like to me. (The Catholic Church has an idea of spirit prison in which the prophets prior to Christ went until His death.)

I'm not well versed in Catholic doctrine; but from what little I understand of the idea of Purgatory it is rather similar. Mormonism teaches that immediately after death we go to either Paradise or Spirit Prison. They are both temporary states--an interim between death and resurrection. Paradise is thought of as a state of rest from the cares of the world. Prison is thought of as a place where those who didn't receive the Gospel in this life, will have another opportunity to learn and accept it. Prison also consists of some sort of hellish-type suffering for the wicked and we do sometimes refer to it as "hell"; but we look at it as a temporary state.

Also- who exactly goes to the Telestial Kingdom? From what I could figure out, it's not very good people?

Pretty much. See D&C 76, which I think I linked to earlier.

People who "are thrust down to hell." How is the Telestial Kingdom different, then, from Outer Darkness?

Those who will wind up in Outer Darkness also spend the time between death and resurrection in prison/hell; but they are returned to that state after the Resurrection and Final Judgment. Mormon authorities don't completely agree on the specifics of "how bad" one has to be to go to Outer Darkness--it seems to be reserved for those who receive the fulness of the Gospel, know directly and intimately of God's goodness, and then turn and fight against Him.

Rather than opportunity think fullness of opportunity.

The circumstances you list above are such that if I were personally making the decision on their behalf I would feel just in saying they did not have the fullness of opportunity.

While we may use our own logic to make conclusions in some cases, the danger we run into is in regards to ourselves.

Since we do not clearly understand how such a decision will be determined, personal revelation is the best course to go when in doubt regarding yourself.

Personally I'm 26 and I know that I have not had a fullness of opportunity to marry. Were I to die tomorrow I do not doubt that I could still pursue this blessing.

When in doubt, turn to the Lord for guidance right?

My point is this...This is exactly what the millennium is for, for those who didn't have the opportunity to do things, be it be baptized, hear the gospel, marry, repent...and then after that we will start final judgement.

So if we die, in the state we are in, then there will be another opportunity.

And we can speculate what those opportunities are until the cows come home, but in the end it will only be between God and that person. Only he will determine who is worthy of the highest degrees of glory.

Being sealed doesn't guarantee the celestial kingdom, it merely promises the opportunity to get there. Heavenly Father is going to afford all of his children the same opportunity, and the ability to retry for the opportunity if necessary. He realizes none of us are perfect, and it's a good thing he realizes this or it would only be the Godhead in the CK.

We have no idea, and no right to judge who will make it to the CK, that is not our job, our job is to obey as best as we can, keep working, help others and to forgive. Ours is not the job to judge anyone