Baby girl pink's pretty, but I prefer white

Mamas_Girl

Okay, so the other day I wore a brand new blouse, never washed. It was purple and it bled all over my 100% polyester "thermals." I've tried washing them, putting them through Oxi-Clean, and trust me, this dye stays on these better than it does the blouse! It takes so long to order, not to mention the fact that they're brand-new. Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated. I mean, they're literally baby girl pink, and hot pink under the armpit/arm area where it rubbed more! :eek: Am I best off to just pitch these? Would you consider keeping them to wear under the same blouse in the future? Thought?

Edited by Mamas_Girl

Ha! I washed something with our garments that turned them ash-gray. I used Oxyclean and Clorox2. I put my washer on the soak cycle and it took 3 soak/wash cycles in a row, but they turned almost like new. They aren't as white as brand new, but they are close.

Did you soak them in a Oxiclean solution? Not just run through the wash with Oxiclean added???

Yeah, they've been soaking for about 10 hours now, and they're no better. I agitate them by hand every couple of hours. I just keep hoping. They say not to use chlorine bleach, but I wonder... at this point, what do I have to lose? I just can't believe the blouse is still as purple as ever! Thanks to everyone for the answers!

I have a pair of DriSilque bottoms that have been stained in odd areas by a pair of light red capri's. Over time the red faded to pink and now after about 6 months they are barely pink.

I use powdered bleach (all color bleach) and Oxi plus liquid detergent on our garments. About the only thing that won't come out is tomato based food stains. Hubby wears the cotton jersey and I wear DriSilque. I wash them separately too.

You could see if Rit has a product to help you - Laundry First Aid

Yeah, they've been soaking for about 10 hours now, and they're no better. I agitate them by hand every couple of hours. I just keep hoping. They say not to use chlorine bleach, but I wonder... at this point, what do I have to lose? I just can't believe the blouse is still as purple as ever! Thanks to everyone for the answers!

I've used Clorox in this situation. This was prior to Oxiclean being available. Its the nylon content that will will yellow and the bleach can weaken the elastic.

If the Oxiclean isn't working then add a spash of bleach and see what happens. Do not let them soak long.

I just had another thought. Kirby makes a product called Lickity Split. This stuff gets red stains out of everything I've tried it on. I think if I was in your situation I would combine peroxide and Lickity Split and soak. The Lickity Split says its citrus based. Which makes me wonder if Citric Acid with Peroxide might not work too.

Just some thoughts as I was reading through the rest of the thread.

BTW, Citric Acid can be bought at most pharmacies with out a prescription. (I use Citric Acid to make my wonderful "Water with a Kick" drink.

Addition: I'm half tempted to get out an old pair of garments I haven't cut up yet and see if and of this will work. Of course it will depend on the dye that turns everything pink.

Rit makes a dye-type product called Bluing or something like that, to restore white things to whiteness (which actually involves blue somehow I guess?). I'd joke that it's like repentance in a box, but that would be irreverent.

Rit makes a dye-type product called Bluing or something like that, to restore white things to whiteness (which actually involves blue somehow I guess?). I'd joke that it's like repentance in a box, but that would be irreverent.

I miss bluing. Yes!!! I'm old. Bluing used to come in a bottle. Only a few drops were used. It is like blue dye. Bluing counteracts the yellowing, but it won't do much for red.

FWIW, the blouse is a very pretty reddish/purple almost silky type 97% polyester and 3% spandex, made in Indonesia and manufactured for Worthington, sold by JC Penney. The thermals were long sleeved so lots of seem rubbing, thus hot pink where it rubs and baby girl pink everywhere else. Really it is sorta pretty the way it is, but... :rolleyes:

Does WalMart sell Lickity Split? My husband has a sensitive nose so I have to buy unscented laundry stuff, which means I don't look over anything, just go straight for the Tide. I wonder at what point the stain's set? I've tried normal washing (but not drying), I've tried Oxyclean 12 hour soak... I can probably try this if I can get the citric acid -- after this I may just give up and order a replacement, but keep this for this blouse, and other red based blouses.

I am learning so much from this thread, like how hard it is to get the red out. So, bleach would ruin it?

Bleach can yellow the nylon and bleach will weaken elastic. They key to using bleach on garments is to not let it soak more than just a minute or two.

So... bleach carefully used won't ruin it. Just be careful. Bleach will even eat holes in cotton fabrics if left to soak.

FWIW, the blouse is a very pretty reddish/purple almost silky type 97% polyester and 3% spandex, made in Indonesia and manufactured for Worthington, sold by JC Penney. The thermals were long sleeved so lots of seem rubbing, thus hot pink where it rubs and baby girl pink everywhere else. Really it is sorta pretty the way it is, but... :rolleyes:

Does WalMart sell Lickity Split? My husband has a sensitive nose so I have to buy unscented laundry stuff, which means I don't look over anything, just go straight for the Tide. I wonder at what point the stain's set? I've tried normal washing (but not drying), I've tried Oxyclean 12 hour soak... I can probably try this if I can get the citric acid -- after this I may just give up and order a replacement, but keep this for this blouse, and other red based blouses.

No you can only buy Lickity Split from Kirby ( Kirby carpet shampoo and cleaning products ) . Its used for carpet. I've used it on other fabrics. I've really been amazed at how well it works.

I googled it and found it at Amazon.

Hot water will let a stain. A hot dryer will set a stain too.

I've got some really nice olive drab ones that I used to wear a lot. :-)

I think you are ok to continue to use them after doing what you can to get them back to white. I am sure that the Lord does not want us to be wasteful. You did not try to dye them to a color you prefer more...it just happened. I am sure it does not change the intent or the meaning behind the garment. You are fine.

-RM