Elf on The Shelf

Bini

This is a really cute story for those of you with children. It's especially a fun idea if your family celebrates Santa Claus. You can check it out here. It also played on CBS last Friday. I believe it'll be replaying again just before Christmas. But you can also buy it on Bluray/DVD. Anyway, I told my husband that this could become a tradition for us. Basically, you name your elf and every night, you move him to a different spot in the house. The next morning, the children are supposed to go look for the elf and see where he/she landed!

Anyone already do this with their kids?

We started this tradition when we moved to our "permanent" home 5 years ago. The then-bishop's wife made our elves - one for each member of the family with names that somehow match our real names. They come to life when the Christmas Tree goes up. The kids look for them every single morning.

Personaly I think it's a little creepy. Everyday there's this little toy just sitting there, watching you. And it moves to a different spot everyday. Good thing my son is 12 now and we don't need anything like this.

No, no, no. The elf isn't creepy. The magical gnome — now that's creepy! He'll show up just about anywhere.. Inside the refrigerator.. Outside on the front lawn.. By your bedside..

We were late for school today...

My son couldn't find one of the elves and refused to leave the house until he found him... so 2 kids and I went looking for one elf... to no avail. I'm fairly certain it is somewhere where only a 6'2" person can find it. Yeah, sometimes my husband doesn't realize how tall he is. Anyway, one kid went into school crying.

There's good and bad to everything. :)

My wife and I do this for our kids. It's fun. Our elves are "Ellie Mae" and "Sally", one for each of the girls. They show up on Dec 1st and stay through Christmas. So far this year Ellie Mae and Sally have gone out to the garage to drive the truck, played "go, fish" with cards, cleaned the wall mirrors, cooked some vegetables in a pot on the stove, rode the ceiling fan round and round, put up their own Christmas tree, ate the gingerbread cookies, vacuumed the floor, played putt-putt golf, and last night they stole my daughters underwear and decorated the tree in the kitchen with them.

My oldest is 4 and she can't wait to go see what the elves have been doing at night. She gets pretty excited to go find them. My youngest is 18 months and she just doesn't get it. Maybe next year. I'm seriously running out of creative things for elves to do though!

My wife and I do this for our kids. It's fun. Our elves are "Ellie Mae" and "Sally", one for each of the girls. They show up on Dec 1st and stay through Christmas. So far this year Ellie Mae and Sally have gone out to the garage to drive the truck, played "go, fish" with cards, cleaned the wall mirrors, cooked some vegetables in a pot on the stove, rode the ceiling fan round and round, put up their own Christmas tree, ate the gingerbread cookies, vacuumed the floor, played putt-putt golf, and last night they stole my daughters underwear and decorated the tree in the kitchen with them.

My oldest is 4 and she can't wait to go see what the elves have been doing at night. She gets pretty excited to go find them. My youngest is 18 months and she just doesn't get it. Maybe next year. I'm seriously running out of creative things for elves to do though!

Oh my friend..how I have missed you. Such cute ideas. Sometimes makes me want young kids again.. keyword being sometimes.

Oh my friend..how I have missed you. Such cute ideas. Sometimes makes me want young kids again.. keyword being sometimes.

I know! I know! I should be better at being active on here. I'll try harder. I always need improvement! As for the kids, I'm sure taking advantage of the fun younger years! I'm not sure who has more fun with the elves, me or them!

I hadn't heard about Elf on a Shelf until this thread. I was at lunch yesterday with my mom and sister. My sister showed me a picture on her phone and asked if I knew what it was. I sounded so in the know and able to respond. "Why yes I do."

The things you can learn to keep you up to date on lds.net.

My sister was also telling me about a website that talks about the naughty things the elves do. It told of one story where a guy was sound asleep in his bed. Someone had taken some barbers clippers and shaved the whole side of the guys head while he was asleep. When he woke up..there was the elf sitting on the pillow next to him holding the barbers clippers.

We thought we were done. Sometimes grandparents end up raising their grandchildren. My husband and I co-parent our grandson with his dad. I simply do not have the energy that I used to have. But, Elf on the Shelf sounds like fun. There are several members of my family that do it. Kids seem to enjoy it. And I notice it is getting more popular every year.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my friends did this snowball fight! I thought it was pretty cute :] The thumbnails are clickable..

Just to follow up, I did use the snowball fight idea. It was great. We hosted my wife's sister and her family (they have two boys). They also have elves (Bob and Leroy). So they got in on the snowball fight too.

Alas, the elves have retired to the North Pole once again. But in 11 months I'll need more great ideas like this one! Thanks again for the tip. It was great!