Puppy Party!!!

sister_in_faith

My dog Sophie, had a litter of puppies a couple of years ago. We had 6 girls and 1 boy. All the puppies have gone to wonderful homes. I haven't been able to see most of them after they left for their new homes, so I wanted to have a birthday party for them. So all summer I have been trying to find a place to have the party, to no avail. So finally today I found the right place, but we will have to wait until spring.

So that gives me more time to plan this party!!! We are going to have it catered. I am going to have a photographer, and we are going to play lots of games.

I don't have my list of games with me at the moment, but one of them is where the handler has an egg in a spoon (same hand as they hold the dog's leash in) and they run around a course. The dog has to heel and not pull other wise they loose the spoon. Another game is an obedience game where they have to run a little course, with sit, stay, down, and other commands like that. Another game is where we feed the dogs crazy dog friendly things like olives, and carrots. If a dog refuses to eat one of the items, they are out of that round. We will have a 'cutest puppy picture' contest. Oh and we are going to have the 'best puppy trick' contest. I am going to give out trophies and metals. I think it will just be a lot of fun all around!!!

So can anyone else think of things to do at my puppy party?

We are thinking about having a CGC instructor there to certifiy the puppies CGC if the owners want. I thought that would be fun too.

My dog Sophie, had a litter of puppies a couple of years ago. We had 6 girls and 1 boy. All the puppies have gone to wonderful homes. I haven't been able to see most of them after they left for their new homes, so I wanted to have a birthday party for them. So all summer I have been trying to find a place to have the party, to no avail. So finally today I found the right place, but we will have to wait until spring.

So that gives me more time to plan this party!!! We are going to have it catered. I am going to have a photographer, and we are going to play lots of games.

I don't have my list of games with me at the moment, but one of them is where the handler has an egg in a spoon (same hand as they hold the dog's leash in) and they run around a course. The dog has to heel and not pull other wise they loose the spoon. Another game is an obedience game where they have to run a little course, with sit, stay, down, and other commands like that. Another game is where we feed the dogs crazy dog friendly things like olives, and carrots. If a dog refuses to eat one of the items, they are out of that round. We will have a 'cutest puppy picture' contest. Oh and we are going to have the 'best puppy trick' contest. I am going to give out trophies and metals. I think it will just be a lot of fun all around!!!

So can anyone else think of things to do at my puppy party?

We are thinking about having a CGC instructor there to certifiy the puppies CGC if the owners want. I thought that would be fun too.

I went to one of those a few years back where they had the "organized games" and hated it. My dogs have good manners and right conduct but we don't do "tricks". They don't run agility courses and they don't train for showmanship. It became such a big - "my dog is better than your dog" thing that we just ended up leaving. Also, the food stuff they have for dogs at that dog party was enough to give my dogs a week's worth of indigestion so it was a challenge to try to prevent my dogs from eating something that were constantly offered to them at the party.

The best dog party I've ever attended was one where everybody met at the dog park and they just let the dogs loose to chase after each other while everybody played with the dogs and chatted. It was such a refreshing change from having to constantly worry about irresponsible dog parents at the dog park. The food was for the people, there were organic dog treats and nylabones available, lots of chew toys and tennis balls and frisbees to play with and at the end of the party, everbody got dog paw embroidered towels to dry their dogs off with and take home. It was a really simple but super fun affair.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your excitement. I was just offering my experiences.

All I know is my dog would eat everyones face and we would all end up with bruises and he is just a puppy! A happy fun loving smart puppy but a real handful!

We are having training 'issues'. My husband just does not get how to train and puppy knocks me over. Our biggest focus is to keep him on the ground not jumping up on me!

So can we come to your party? lol j/k

I went to one of those a few years back where they had the "organized games" and hated it. My dogs have good manners and right conduct but we don't do "tricks". They don't run agility courses and they don't train for showmanship. It became such a big - "my dog is better than your dog" thing that we just ended up leaving. Also, the food stuff they have for dogs at that dog party was enough to give my dogs a week's worth of indigestion so it was a challenge to try to prevent my dogs from eating something that were constantly offered to them at the party.

The best dog party I've ever attended was one where everybody met at the dog park and they just let the dogs loose to chase after each other while everybody played with the dogs and chatted. It was such a refreshing change from having to constantly worry about irresponsible dog parents at the dog park. The food was for the people, there were organic dog treats and nylabones available, lots of chew toys and tennis balls and frisbees to play with and at the end of the party, everbody got dog paw embroidered towels to dry their dogs off with and take home. It was a really simple but super fun affair.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your excitement. I was just offering my experiences.[/Q]

I REALLY appreicate this. I hadn't thought of that, and I was getting ready to make it a very structured thing... I will totally rethink it. We can do a couple of fun games without it getting too serious. I definately don't want it to be a my puppy is better than your puppy party!

We are going to have the party at a sports/dog training complex, so they have a 20 acre parcel fenced in all for them (and us), and a dog training pond, if we decide to let them go swimming. It is going to be so much fun!!!

As for food for the dogs, I was going to make sure my vet approved everything, but I'm going to rethink that too...

And anne! Sure you can come!!! hee hee hee!!!

I'm going to have to go along with what anatess said. I think it would be much more fun for the dogs and less stressful to find a dog park where they can just play and be dogs.