Public prayer

sister_in_faith

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we are now stepping all over sacred ground. People admitting that they can't, or don't feel the spirit in the temple is a little too personal to me. I don't want to have been responsible for this thread if it continues to spiral downward.

I'm pretty sure that MoE stated he didn't feel the Spirit while working in the temple. I find this statement slightly unusual, perhaps, but hardly scandalous. He did follow up by saying he felt the Spirit greatly after he had finished. I'm just not seeing what is so inappropriately personal or horrific about this.

Actually several posters made reference to that very thing. I found that deeply disturbing to be honest.

I am not sure what the primary purpose of us going to the temple is. I have given it some thought. If its to do temple work, mostly, then wouldnt it be easier to do it in the millennium? After all then people could just tell us who they belong to.

Why do we do genealogy or temple work? The answer is easy. We do it for ourselves. We do it so we can be closer to God. By doing work for other people we learn charity, or the perfect love of Christ. We do it to reaffirm our own commitments to God and to show our love for Him.

Yes we do it for the ordinances to be done as well. Those people will be ready and available to help during the millennium when most of the work will be done. Its a practical way for it to get going and organized.

Here you go, anne. This is where you said "several posters" said such when I asked you specifically who said that you can't feel the spirit. MOE is only one poster.

Where did he say that? And before you tell me you aren't bored enough, may I remind you that I do not have to prove anything? You are the one claiming that several posters are claiming such--I want to see where you are seeing it, because I am not.

MOE said he, personally, doesn't feel the Spirit while working at the temple. That certainly doesn't qualify as no one feels the spirit or that you shouldn't feel the spirit.

I think that we are now stepping all over sacred ground. People admitting that they can't, or don't feel the spirit in the temple is a little too personal to me. I don't want to have been responsible for this thread if it continues to spiral downward.

My comments about not feeling the Spirit while working in the temple were actually meant to illustrate a counter point to something you said that disturbed me. Specifically, you said

I am actually a little shocked by some of the responses to this... I can't believe that there aren't others out there who have been so moved by coming into the Celestial room, and being in the temple that you were literally driven to your knees in prayer and worship. I fight the urge, now, and go somewhere else to do it, but, I remember the first time I did fall to my knees (again, alone in the Celestial room, no one else around - I didn't get caught the first 30 times I did it - hee hee hee) in prayer. What an amazingly wonderful feeling. To be as close to God as I can possibly be, on my knees, giving thanks, and listening to what promptings he gave me. It was a truly beautiful thing. No one else has ever felt this? In fact some think it is 'vulgar'?!? Wow. I must be going to a different church than the rest of you.

What bothers me about that statement? It inadvertently suggests that all members should experience spiritual expression in the same ways. It implies that we should strive to be a homogeneous society. I find that implication troubling.

It's true, I didn't feel the Spirit while working in the temple. I focused on completing the work to the best of my ability, left, and felt the Spirit later. I imagine the feelings and impressions I had driving home from the temple were similar in strength and content to those you feel in the celestial room.

We're different people, and we feel and express our spirituality in different ways. It's a wonderful thing and something that should be met with celebration!

No, Vort said it shouldn't be the only reason to attend the temple. One can receive revelation and feel the Spirit anywhere--one shouldn't feel that only in the temple can such be had.

Look, obviously, you don't have any way to back up what you are asserting--that there are several posters on this board who have said that one doesn't feel or shouldn't feel the Spirit in the temple. I'm tired of you not backing up that statement. It is one thing to say you disagree with the statement--it is quite another to state that others have stated such and not back that up with actual statements.