Public prayer

sister_in_faith

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, as this thread breaths it's last breath (hopefully) I have an appology to make. I wasn't sure how I insulted beefche, when it was pointed out to me that perhaps my comments on the olive garden menu were taken as insults. I want to say that I IN NO WAY meant them to be insulting, I was honestly just talking about what I like to eat at olive garden. So beefche, please understand that was not my intention to be making any kind of comment about you, and if you felt insulted by them, I am sorry.

Seriously, you guys should go check out the new menu. It is awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by annewandering

Why would we not receive answers there? Or anywhere in the temple for that matter?

This was the reply:

Who said one doesn't receive answers in the temple? Who said one doesn't feel the Spirit in the temple? Is the Celestial Room the only place on earth where the veil is the thinnest? I hope not, since that would negate any spiritual experience I and others have had outside the temple.

Now I see where the problem started. I was asking a rhetorical question. Actually yes several people did say that the temple is not the place to receive answers to prayers. I think that much has been made based on a misunderstanding on your part.

Quote from Vort:

The celestial room is not designed as a place to go to speak with God. That's what your closet is for. If you receive guidance and revelation there, great! But you should not be going there in order to receive revelation. And kneeling in prayer in the celestial room is an open display of a private act that, to me, borders on vulgar.

quote from margin of error:

In some temples, you may be able to find a study where you can sit and ponder for longer periods of time than you can in the celestial room. In the Boston temple, there were a couple of studies that I could have disappeared to for several hours without disruption if I had desired. Those rooms were built for that purpose; the celestial room was not.

quote from margin of error:

Despite all those temporal concerns, working in the temple was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. And during that time, I rarely (if ever) felt the Spirit in the temple. But I often felt it very powerfully after I left and had time to ponder quietly in the wake of my service.

Edited by annewandering

Now I see where the problem started. I was asking a rhetorical question. Actually yes several people did say that the temple is not the place to receive answers to prayers.

Note that the quotes you provided from myself and MoE do not say any such thing.

Well, people can laugh and snicker at me, I don't mind, but I have gone to the temple in prayer. I have gone to the temple when facing surgery, or not. I have gone to the temple in prayer for my ex-husband to allow my husband to adopt my two little girls, and he did. I have gone to the temple in prayer when my dh did not want to, and he soon changed his mind. I have gone to the temple with prayers so many times...and they have always been answered. Every time, immediately.

I do pray in restaurants when with my family. We pray just as we do over dinner at home. I really don't care what people think of it.

My children are not ashamed of their faith, I have told them plenty of times to pray when they feel they need help, and they have. My daughter has prayed at school before a test she was worried about. I have prayed about what to say to an overbearing, narcissistic coworker. I have asked others to join me in prayer, my husband being one of them on our first date. He knew then and there that I was more than he expected, that I wasn't someone to consider living with and not consider my faith. That prayer was also answered then and there, regardless of the other people in the restaurant...with words...a still small voice in words told me the answer to the question I asked in a restaurant full of people...told me something that would happen that has been fulfilled...if it were a sin, the Holy Ghost would not have answered me.

You can laugh or snicker or joke, keep your jokes, I'll keep my answers. I'll stand as a witness at all times and in all places. The moment I feel I need to pray, I will. That doesn't mean I have to drop on my knees in front of everybody, but a soothing quiet moment with my head bowed and humility in my heart, and a willingness to listen and follow have worked for me time and again. He has never turned from me, and I don't want to turn from Him no matter who may be watching.

Edited by jayanna

Jayanna, THANK YOU for this post. I admire you for your faith. I thank you for having the guts to stand up and say that you go to the temple to pray. I do too. I actually thought (before today) that we ALL did. Thank you for standing as a witness. I appreciate your imput. This kind of post is what I was hoping for when I started the thread.

Bravo.

Wait, people were laughing at people who pray in the temple? I guess I should be offended, then. I need to pay more attention so I don't miss these golden opportunities to take offense.

This thread is so weird.