Mosiah 24:14-15

pam

Mosiah 24:14-15*

14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.

Quotes for Discussion

Elaine Cannon

“Over the years I repeatedly have been comforted and directed by such scriptures as the above (Rom 5:3-5). But there is one section of the Book of Mormon that absolutely has been my joy to refer to in time of need and to share with others who are hurting, weeping, distraught, bewildered, and weary of the battle. It is found in Mosiah 24 when the children of God cried out because their afflictions were great and Amulon put guards over the people to watch them so that anyone found calling upon God to help them would be put to death. The account tells us that the people didn't raise their voices to the Lord their God. Instead they poured out their hearts to God, and he knew the thoughts of their hearts.

“And the voice of the Lord came to them in their terrible times, and they heard his voice, telling them to be of good comfort and to lift up their heads for he was mindful of them.

“Then these following words from God are those particularly precious to anyone who feels forgotten in affliction or bereft of ever overcoming such burdens. I strongly suggest that you read these lines carefully for your own benefit, for I am certain that such a promise applies to us as much in our day, in our adversity, as to those of another generation.

‘And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions. And…the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.’ (Mosiah 24:14-15.)

“…Adversity? Who needs it? Everyone, because adversity well handled is really blessings in disguise.” (Adversity, p. 139)

John Taylor

“I do not desire trials. I do not desire affliction….I used to think, if I were the Lord, I would not suffer people to be tried as they are. But I have changed my mind on that subject. Now I think I would, if I were the Lord, because it purges out the meanness and corruption that stick around the Saints, like flies around molasses….I have seen men tempted so sorely that finally they would say, ‘I’ll be damned if I’ll stand it any longer.’ Well, you will be damned if you do not…We have learned many things through suffering. We call it suffering. I call it a school of experience.” (The Gospel Kingdom, pp. 332-4 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 228)

Joseph Smith

“[From Libery Jail, in a time of anguish and deep suffering for the gospel’s sake, the Prophet Joseph Smith wrote the following message to the Saints] Dear brethren, do not think that our hearts faint, as though some strange thing had happened unto us, for we have seen and been assured of all these things beforehand, and have an assurance of a better hope than that of our persecutors. Therefore God hath made broad our shoulders for the burden. We glory in our tribulation, because we know that God is with us, that He is our friend, and that he will save our souls.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 123 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 229)

Thomas S. Monson

“Remember that this work is not yours and mine alone. It is the Lord’s work, and when we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help. Remember that the Lord will shape the back to bear the burden placed upon it.” (Ensign, May 1992, p. 48 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 229)

George Q. Cannon

“My theory is that when a man is conscious or a people are conscious that he or they are in the path of duty, doing that which is right in the sight of God, they should always be happy, no matter what the circumstances may be which surround them. I think that God has created us to be happy, and my belief is that he placed happiness within the reach of all, and it is man’s own fault if he is not happy and does not enjoy himself every day of his life. This is one of my reasons for liking my religion…because it bestows full happiness and joy upon its believers. They can be happy in the midst of the most adverse circumstances; they can rejoice when their lives are imperiled.” (Gospel Truths, p. 125 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 228)

Joseph B. Wirthlin

“Despite life-threatening persecutions, Alma’s people were faithful. They listened to his exhortations and remained steadfast even in the face of heavy oppression. How often do we waver in our faith when faced with difficulty or opposition? We would do well to remember the example of Alma and his people, who stand as witnesses that the Lord will always ‘visit [his] people in their afflictions.’ The Lord will ease our burdens if we will ‘submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.’ And when we are blessed, let us not forget to humbly and joyfully acknowledge our thanks for God’s blessings.” (Heroes From the Book of Mormon, pp. 91-2)

Edited by pam