Second Coming Rumors

chashathaway

Hey all! I'm writing a book about the second coming of Jesus Christ, and I have a section in each chapter about rumors vs. doctrine about the second coming--kind of like a 2nd coming Snopes :D

Anyway, what are some rumors you've heard about anything to do with the second coming? (the mark of the beast, gathering to zion, lost tribes of Israel--anything, really)

1. That certain political figures are the AntiChrist.

2. That one of the prophets lying dead in Jerusalem is going to be named David and will be the prophet of the church at that time.

3. That the constitution will hang by a thread and the elders of Israel will raise up and save it.

4. We will all walk back to Missouri to build the temple.

5. The only ones to die will be the ones found unworthy.

6. more to come I am sure.

Keep in mind that an absolute worthless dead clock is spot on correct twice a day. Concerning the 2nd coming - The key is not so much to know when but to be ready and prepared. Being prepared is not so much completing a list but rather an attitude - with the proper attitude the exact time is not necessary. The proper additude is not something to be found in a book.

The Traveler

Even as a child, I never quite understood the preoccupation with the timing of Christ's second coming. It has always seemed to me that we are 100% sure to meet God face to face, whether or not we see Christ come again. Therefore, our concern should be with becoming worthy to stand before him rather than worrying about when he might come again.

That someone has an Uncle whose neighbors cousins Father-in-law had his Patriarchal blessing read something like "You will be alive on earth to meet Jesus at the second coming." Or "You will be one to help build the New Jerusalem Temple."

Here are some other sites that debunk Mormon rumors:

Mormon urban legends or folklore - FAIRMormon

Hoaxes, Mormon urban legends - SHIELDS

HolyFetch.com - Mormon Urban Legend and Folklore Site

That someone has an Uncle whose neighbors cousins Father-in-law had his Patriarchal blessing read something like "You will be alive on earth to meet Jesus at the second coming."

When I first read my blessing it seemed to say something very much like this... But as I studied it more I came up with a few ways that it could work without meaning it will happen in my life time

It, probably, has to do with the excitement. If we want to see Jesus come back, I imagine that we will be perfectly capable of seeing it from our view in the Spirit World.

Since those who are worthy of the Celestial Kingdom will go with him when he returns, I rather hope I'm not watching his return in the spirit world... =)

In regards to rumors, there is some difficulty in replying to your request.

This difficulty is that I have no desire to relate 'rumors' unless I know them to be false.

Edited by Martain

1. That certain political figures are the AntiChrist.

2. That one of the prophets lying dead in Jerusalem is going to be named David and will be the prophet of the church at that time.

3. That the constitution will hang by a thread and the elders of Israel will raise up and save it.

4. We will all walk back to Missouri to build the temple.

5. The only ones to die will be the ones found unworthy.

6. more to come I am sure.

The Temple is already built in Jackson County, Missouri ..................

Edited by Jezebel2011
typos

It has always seemed to me that we are 100% sure to meet God face to face, whether or not we see Christ come again. Therefore, our concern should be with becoming worthy to stand before him rather than worrying about when he might come again.

I remember a talk given to a CES activity I attended as a teen, it was called "The Time is Now!" It emphasized our straining to be worthy to meet our God now and I couldn't agree more, some of us won't make it to see the next sunrise.

(that ended on a much more dismal note than I intended, but then again getting to meet God isn't a dismal note is it?)

I heard that today's missionary junior companions were lance corporals in the premortal existence. I also understand that bishop's storehouses have quietly been stocking up on compact fluorescent light bulbs and padded coat hangers, though I hesitate to draw the obvious conclusion from these items.

Hmm wonder if thats in Jackson County? Still wasnt it supposed to be built on the side of adam-di-oman?

No, I did not add it to the list as a rumour!! I did some research on this just a few weeks ago.

The Kansas City Temple IS in Jackson County, Missouri.

Since we managed to lose the original site my US LDS friends all seem to think that the Kansas City Temple is THE Temple. However, not altogether certain about that.

However, we have people in our Stake whom have worked closely on the LDS Visitor's Centre in Independence, Missouri and it can be converted without much problem which is on the original land planned by Joseph Smith.

Same goes for the BYU Centre in Jerusalem too, apparently. It can be converted within a couple of weeks, when necessary.

Edited by Jezebel2011
typos