Christmas story

HEthePrimate

Heheh. I've been asked to read the Christmas story from the Bible in sacrament meeting this coming Sunday. I'm not the public speaker type, and will undoubtedly get all shy and turn red, but at least I don't have to prepare a talk--it's already been written for me! Have you seen those bumper stickers that say "God is my copilot"? Maybe I should get one that says "God is my ghost writer" (or "Holy Ghost writer")! :lol:

But seriously, type out the verse, and put new lines where you want the pauses, and read it like a poem. Your speech patterns will be easier to manage.

Actually that's a good idea, the large type without footnote letters will also probably make it easier to read as it will be less cluttered.

Hmmm, I'm thinking an Australian accent would be especially fun! People wouldn't know what to make of it. :P

Heck, if you can just read it in Hebrew. Koine Greek and Latin are also acceptable.

I only have a passing familiarity with the Hebrew alphabet. Greek, however, I could do. I have an interlinear N.T. I could use. Problem is, there is a classicist in my ward, working on his Ph.D., and I'm afraid I'd make him cringe by butchering the language.

You know what they say to do if you're nervous when speaking in public. I could just imagine all the ladies in the ward wearing the new Victoria's Secret undies their husbands gave them for Christmas that morning... :eek::lol:

You know what they say to do if you're nervous when speaking in public. I could just imagine all the ladies in the ward wearing the new Victoria's Secret undies their husbands gave them for Christmas that morning... :eek::lol:

My wife's in the congregation, I'd be less nervous but most certainly more distracted.

'

No, rap it. You can't have drums in sacrament, but you can beatbox, right?

As I walked through the streets with my bride on my donkey.

The inn keepers kept looking at me and saying, "No room for you honky."

The Chorus:

I've been walking all this night looking for an i-inn for the night.

We're just a poor man and his wife, lookin' for an i-inn for the night.

My wife's extremely preg' this night, looking for an i-nn for the night.

We don't ask much, just a bed, looking for an i-inn for the night.

It's obviously a work in progress.

Edited by Dravin

'

I'm glad you are studying geology. There might be more of a career there for you.

'

The Chorus:

I've been walking all this night looking for an i-inn for the night.

We're just a poor man and his wife, lookin' for an i-inn for the night.

My wife's extremely preg' this night, looking for an i-nn for the night.

We don't ask much, just a bed, looking for an i-inn for the night.

It's obviously a work in progress.

Good start. Nice use of trimeter. You need more internal rhymes. Also, a strong first person presence and referencing oneself is always helpful. References to "baby daddy"s and "ho"s would be stylistically appropriate, but in this case irreverent and best avoided.

Me and Mary are beat, I'm a man on the street,

And I'm lookin' for some cookin' and to get off my feet

This sweet inn, let us in

Don't be tellin' me no room

'Cause we're beat, kid is comin'

I ain't askin' indoor plumbin'

Take the stable, need a broom

Whazzat Chrismas song you're hummin'?

Okay, I admit it, I'm not a rapper.

Okay, I admit it, I'm not a rapper.

I actually did a rap for my first 'training' in a new district on my mission (It's recorded in my mission journal which is laying around somewhere). Luckily there was someone there to beat box for me. I seem to only be able to rap with Amish Paradise/Gangster's Paradise in mind, I used that for the base both here and then.

Edited by Dravin

Maybe I'll just stick to English--16th century English (Tyndale's translation)! ;)

8 And ther were in the same region shepherdes abydinge in the felde and watching their flocke by nyght.

9 And loo: the angell of ye lorde stode harde by the and the brightnes of ye lorde shone rounde aboute them and they were soare afrayed.

10 But the angell sayd vnto them: Be not afrayed. For beholde I bringe you tydinges of greate ioye yt shal come to all ye people:

11 for vnto you is borne this daye in the cite of David a saveoure which is Christ ye lorde.

I love the "And loo" part! :lol: