David Archuleta to serve LDS mission

pam

There are, unfortunately, precious few celebrities with true character such as this. Even though I haven't been deeply into his music he is, especially now, on my top ten list of amazing people.

Okay, so my youtube comment wasn't the kindest I could have put....at least I didn't say it here ;)

Edited by RipplecutBuddha

During a business trip to Taiwan I met the son of Marie Osmond. With his father’s last name it was not as obvious that he was somewhat a celebrity. The reality of a mission is that while serving there is no celebrity status. Marie’s son was an excellent example. I was so impressed with the lad – I thought of contacting sister Osmond and passing on my impression – but upon returning to the states, thought better of it – let the lad serve his Father in heaven.

To be honest I did not know who David Archuleta was – I do not follow TV and performing celebrities. However, having heard him perform with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir – I am impressed with his rich smooth voice ((I prefer performers that seem to know the precise note they want to sing and hit it on their first try rather that move around a note until they can find it).

I congratulate David on his choice of faith and I am quite confident that the L-rd will find the right place for him to serve so that he and those he serves will be richly blessed. I would not be a bit discouraged if he or any other choice servant of the L-rd were to serve in my ward – or a ward I visit in my travels.

BTW – I do love our missionaries and that our faithful young men and women can serve missions – missions are inspiring and a great thing. But a mission is not necessary for individual salvation – and that is probably why I so love missionaries. Though I still love and respect my one son (and other saints) that did not serve as much as my sons (and other saints) that did.

The Traveler

I always hoped he would do this. Yes, sending him where he woudn't be recognized would be the prudent thing to do.

Yep. He'll go foreign. The question is... HOW foreign will he be going?

Elizabeth Smart served in Paris, France. While she isn't a "celebrity", she certainly had name recognition in the US. I doubt her abduction became an issue in her missionary service.

Just makes you wonder where he might be sent...

From what I understand of so many areas that even what one might think to be an impoverished area is bound to have a few people who are in tune with US entertainment. But I'd say keep him out of North America, Europe, and Australia might be the way to go. Every other continent will have reasonable hit and miss, I think.

• 3 months later...

Pop star David Archuleta begins 2-year Mormon mission

Pop star David Archuleta begins 2-year Mormon mission | Deseret News

David Archuleta is about to leave on his two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and on Wednesday posted the following statement along with a 7-minute video on his YouTube channel:

"Just one more vlog from home for a while before I leave on my mission. It has been an emotional week with family and friends. Just wanted to thank all of you for the support you have giving me for the last 4 years. Will see you all in 2 years."

My niece works in the MTC cafeteria. She's been a huge Archie fan since he's been in the public eye. She is a little excited about serving his meals for the next month. :)

He's going to chilie :) And, he started on Thursday I believe. I went shopping with a friend who announced all excited "David's starting his mission today!" I guess she knows someone who knows someone :)

I honestly don't think he's very attractive.

One of my friends saw him while doing baptisms in the SLC temple. She came back and said "See. Thats why I make sure i'm worthy! So i can see David at the temple!" haha.