Preparing for a mission

daboosh

Hello all!

I'm 17, turning 18 next month and am preparing to serve a mission. The thought of serving my lord fills me with so much happiness. I just wish time could hurry up and move on to when I can actually leave. I will be starting full time work next month to save up the designated amount on my own.

I am seeking advice on how to truely prepare for doing the lords work. I'll be handing my papers in as soon as I am eligible and leaving as soon as I turn 19 (that's the plan, at least). Just looking for some in-depth advice or tips from a few Returned Missionaries. I've heard the generic "study your scriptures" too oft, but I would really like it if I got some real advice on how to truely serve, preach and teach.

Thanks

Guest gopecon

I think one of the best things that you can do is spend time helping and working with the full time missionaries in your area. Study is also important. Seminary and Institute are great (if they are not available in your area, you can order the manuals and use them to help your scripture studying). Learn to appreciate and enjoy spiritual music. I'd also make sure that you stick to the teaching found in For the Strength of Youth to ensure that you remain worthy to serve when the time comes.

• 6 months later...

Wow. Seemed like posting this was so long ago. December! Heck! So much has changed since then. But most importantly, my dream - to serve the lord - is slowly but surely becoming a reality.

Some updates:

- I have been working full time for the last 2 months to save up for my mission. I have about $2,300 so far.

- Been to every single Mission Prep class that has been available. Reading the scriptures like you wouldn't believe. And of course I've studied Preach My Gospel and literally read every single word of it, but there is still a lot more study to go.

- Gone out with the missionaries where possible. Feeling really comfortable about going out with them now.

- Next month, August, I'll be sorting out the Dentistry, Physician and other loose end components of the mission papers.

- If all goes to plan, my papers should be complete and handed in some time during September. Yeyah!

- And I've worked out that I will be able to contribute $7,000 of my own, hard earned money towards the mission fund. I know it's not all of it but it is the absolute best I can do.

February 2013: Destination ???

I can't wait.

I served a mission in the Dominican Republic from 1991 to 1993. A lot has changed since then but a lot is the same.

One thing you should do, if you haven't already, is decide to obey all the mission rules; even the ones you don't agree with or that seem to impede missionary work. I believe the more you obey the rules the more you will be blessed. I saw many missionaries in my mission who did not stay with their companion all the time. There were missionaries that did not agree with the rule that elders should not teach a lady alone - one of my companions thought this prevented him from teaching people ready to hear the gospel. Be in your home and in bed at the time the mission president says you should be. Follow the schedule you are given.

You have been busy and saved a lot of money. Be prepared to spend it all on your mission but at the same time allow others to receive the blessings of being able to help you pay for your mission if they choose to. Before I went on my mission I had enough money to fund the entire mission myself but did not because then my parents and family would not have been able to help and get blessings. At least that is how I viewed it.

Allow the people who you are called to serve, to serve you when they choose to even when you may feel you don't need their help - they need the blessings that come from serving missionaries. Accept their help whenever you can.

• 1 month later...

soooo, 4 injections later i've finally finished the doctors evaluation.

all i have left are my dentist forms. ive only got 4 of 6 checkpoints on the dentist papers left which will be sorted out this week :D and my passport comes this week. which means... my mission papers will be complete this week!

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Knowing the scriptures IS so fundamental. Not just knowing where the right "battling" scriptures are but having the words in your head so Father can prompt you in the very moment what to say and how. And having the meaning of the words written inside who you are.

But remember, too, that isn't about sharing a message and getting people to listen to it. It's about working with people inside the context of their lives and helping them come to Jesus according to their readiness and needs.

Learn how to listen....to listen to their words, what is important to them, what their fears are, and also listening to the things they don't say with words.

Learn about their culture and the events that have shaped their lives. Empathize with it. Don't argue or protest or judge. Just get into their life experience and build on the common places.

This is loving people. Remember....it's NOT about you. Not about how great of an orator you are or how superb you are at spouting scriptural knowledge that helps people find Jesus. It's about the way they are loved, listened to, and nurtured onto the path.

At the end of the day, THIS is what it's all about and it's what all that scripture study is suppose to be getting into our souls. Read your scriptures. But read them so that the lessons of love become part of your disposition. And then when you speak to people, they will "know" love just by being with you. And they'll want more. I guarantee.

Best Wishes to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Some insights according to my mission experience.

1. You can never hear to much the words "study your scriptures", why, read D&C 11: 21 and continue to remind yourself, how can my tongue be loosed?

2. Remember faith, hope and charity lead all humankind to do good works. Remember, that if we have not charity, we are nothing.

3. Remember, that it is not you that converts any person, it is the spirit of the Lord which converts the penitent heart. Learn to understand this gift of revelation which you have had access to since you were eight (assuming you are not a convert).

4. Remember to love your companion, and help him to serve a worth mission also. When I was a greenie, I was placed with a companion who was going home shortly. It was very difficult. After we were companions, I knelt in prayer asking the Lord why I was placed with him, and letting the Lord know my frustrations in serving with a person who didn't love me enough to help me serve.

In answer to my prayer the Lord chastened me by saying, "Andrew, it is not that he did not love you, it is that you did not love him."

I did not know how much this impacted me until my last area as a district leader. A young missionary was in my same position, and I knew it. I prayed and prayed to know how I might help resolve the issue. The answer came and at District Meeting I shared the inspired words the Lord provided me.

The next night, the younger Elder shared with me, how his companion had a full 360 and they were no longer struggling.

Remember, to have charity, for without charity we are nothing.

5. Ram shared this with you, and it is good advice:

If you start living like a missionary in many ways now, you'll be far ahead of most going into the field.

I remember Elder Bednar's talk speaking to potential missionaries by becoming a missionary now. Great talk, read it.

Best wishes on your mission.

• 2 weeks later...

well, slight set back.

because i am in a district, and not a stake, i have to be interviewed by the mission president before turning my papers in. the nearest available date i can be interviewed with him is on october 13th. so my papers will be turned in on october 13th... feels like ages away but so good to know thats when they are going in... yeyah... should get my call early november =)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats Daboosh. I have only a few pieces of advice (since you have received some great advice already here)

1. forget yourself and immerse yourself into the work you are about to do.

2. You are going to run into companions that you may normally not get along with or may not have hung out with outside of a mission. Forget it! You dress the same, teach the same message, have the same goal. None of the rest matters. I have seen work hindered because of companion spats. The spirit cannot do its full work with hard feelings or irritations around.

3. Have fun. You are not a robot and will not be one on your mission. Staying within the letter and the spirit of your mission rules, you can still have a good time.

4. WRITE IN YOUR JOURNAL! I had one, and felt stupid for writing in it when I did. I wasnt very good at it. But I am so greatful for what I have and kick myself for not writing more. I have a pretty bad memory and I wish that I could take a trip back in time by reading all of my thoughts... but I didnt write them down.

Most missionaries I asked just said read preach my gospel and the book of mormon.

1)But if you can read the new testament, d & c and the pearl of great price.. because from there is where we learn about pre mortal life which we have to testify about often.

2)Also Check out the website "fair lds" because you will no doubt have people tell you on your mission the church is false and this is why "blah blah blah" but if you know some of the things they will say and how to defend yourself you will not have doubts. On your mission you cannot take "apologetics" books (religious defense ) so just really get to know the scriptures by looking at them.

3) pray for further testimony even if you have one. If you start without one people you meet at the start of your mission may loose out on the spirit.

4) get into healthy scripture reading habits and mark them. but dont close them straight afterwards... leave time to pause and think "what does god want me to learn from this".

hope you get you call soon and everything goes ok.

As a VERY recent convert... Take all this with a large grain of salt... But from an outside perspective;

1) Be yourself.

It's really obvious to us learning who is 'new' most of the time (come to find!). Each of the missionaries round abouts is amazing in their own way. The ones (come to find part) who have been here the longest are the most "themselves". They're not just quoting, or lecturing, or (trying too hard). They're Shari g THEMSELVES along with the gospel. Interests, family stories, blunders, struggles, hopes, fears. Newer missionaries (I've noticed) tend to try and erase themselves from their message. Make it 100% gospel. In doing so, there's a lost connection. But when one keeps their own personality in play... It's almost magical to watch what happens. The gospel speaks for itself. But the connection happens between PEOPLE.

1.5) I love love love the gospel. :D That said, being newish, a lot of the newer missionaries get sent my way. I cannot even count the number of times they've 'lost' me and my eyes start glazing over. Ahem. I'm also a teacher. So what I (sneaky) have them do (to preserve my sanity), is I hijack the lesson. I ask them about their favorite parts in the gospel. Thing IS, once they get going in THEIR favorite parts... Their "voices" return. The energy. The excitement. Then I loop them back around to whatever lesson is supposed to be being covered. Usually still using the same scriptures that are their favorites. Pick a topic, almost any topic, and its in ALMOST every chapter/verse. Better an imperfect verse with spirit behind it, than a 'perfect' verse I can't hear, because my brain turned off and started drooling because the vivacity is gone.

1.7) Expect us to do obnoxious things : Like hijack lessons.

2) Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self confidence. -Robert Frost

3) expect total cluelessness.

As an example an OMG!!! thing was shared with me fairly early on investigating and the conversation went like this;

Them : "So'n'so took all the missionaries to a strip club!"

Me : "And....?"

Them : Jawdrop & sputter

See... I'm thinking : 19 & 20yo guys. Makes sense / sounds like a fun evening out. So what happened? Did someone get drunk/ broke/ hurt/ robbed/ etc.?

I was in the USMC @ 17. A strip club to my frame of mind being the setting for the story (like a park, or Starbucks), not the story in and of itself. I was honestly clueless as to what the big deal was. NOW, my jaw would be on the floor and my hands to my face along with everyone else's. Then? I've been in strip clubs on the phone with my gran in Thailand (strip clubs always have pay phones), dashed in to borrow baby wipes when traveling and Im out and everything is closed (strippers should own stock in baby wipes. No new mom uses more baby wipes on an average day, than an average stripper), been in countless clubs for many reasons. (note: Im a girl). I look like (because I am) a volvo driving soccer mom, who never swears around kids, is a teacher, etc... But I served in the military, and wasn't raised LDS. My frame of reference is VERY different. Being a teacher, I've found MOST Volvo driving soccer moms, when they let their hair down... To be just as salty as I am as far as their history goes BC "before children'. Meaning LDS culture shock, ever when 97% of everything is what we already believe/ do... Is still huge.

The stripper example is one amongst hundreds of culture shock type things... Where Mormons are raised one way, and non-LDS are raised totally differently.

4) We don't get 'missionary rules'. Sometimes, even when we know them. It's just not intuitive. The sheer number of times "my" missionaries had to grimace and say "Have I mentioned how much I miss music?" (Yikes! Sorry! As I leap up to go turn off the music I nearly always have playing in the background) is outright embarrassing. And that's a minor thing. Much less the "For my protection & yours" kind of stuff which TOTALLY makes sense the moment you think about it (but doesn't even register until they bring it up. Again. Because we forget. Again. ESP when its hospitality stuff (like : Come in! Or Can I drop you off on my way? Or We're going to go to xyz if you guys... Oh. Darn. Sorry.) The stuff that's just plain good manners in every OTHER situation.

5) Almost (almost! Not all by a long shot.) all converts I know did something missionary-wise that we regret before investigating. Some let the dogs out. Others showed up at the door naked. That kind of thing. So feel free to snicker up your sleeves at sorority chicks trying to sleep with you and cranky people with dogs. Because someday... We're going to sink into embarrassed puddles in the ground remembering some not so stellar behavior directed at some missionary 10 years prior, and wish we could apologize. Profusely. And that the LDS church had a 'confessional' we could go sink into a puddle of mortification in.

5.5) Follow the rules / Practice what you preach.

For saftey PARAMOUNT, but also as a part of the whole converting by inches. Our Mission President spoke on Sunday... And one of the things he shared was that our of over 600 converts he interviewed... Only 7 had never had any contact with missionaries prior to "their" missionaries (the ones who finally duct taped them, threw them in the van, and baptized then ; ). The rest of us had had some to a LOT of contact with missionaries. One thing I, and others I know, and the 600 some the MP referenced ALL had to say was the respect we all had for the Constance of Mormon missionaries. LDS missionaries (unlike many others) IN GENERAL follow the rules/ invite not threaten/ don't lose their cool/ are totally respectful/ you don't see breaking the rules a couple hours later or in passing.

Even when I didn't agree with xyz rule, and ESP when you could tell the mussionary wasn't too keen on it themselves ... That they manned up and followed the rules ... Gets a lot of respect. It might seem counterintuitive... ESP when someone is trying to get you to bend or break them... But that Constance is rewarded. Promise.

((Um. It can also save your life. Seriously. In ways you won't even know.))

-----

Lol... There's more, I'm sure. But this is long enough (since it was book length an age ago), and I still haven't gotten my ironing done, and I have a meeting with the bishop tomorrow. Feel free to snicker up your sleeve at me everytime someone is obnoxious to you. Believe me, I deserve it.

thanks for your words josephpugh.

and badwolf a big thankyou for your advice. i really do appreciate it. i really like the first point you brought up, missionaries being themselves. nobody wants to hear a robotic missionary teaching them. thanks a lot, im sure i will read the words of this thread a few times before i depart :)

less than a week until the mission call should be here...!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...