Woman arrested for offering to check her concealed firearm.

MarginOfError

Originally Posted by nbblood

Unfortunately this violation will likely lead to the repeal of her concealed carry permit and prevent her from ever getting one again. However I hope the judge realizes that this was apparently an honest mistake and is lenient on her.

I don't know that a NY judge has the authority to revoke a permit issued by another state....

I didn't say the NY judge would revoke the permit. A weapons violation anywhere, however, is grounds for the issuing authority to revoke a permit. That is what I was implying. I'm not saying it is certain, but it is certainly likely, particularly in a case that has gained this much publicity. I also said "unfortunately", indicating that I don't necessarily think that is the best recourse for her actions.

If google doesn't help, call a local law enforcement officer, they will likely know the answers.

It depends on the character and disposition of the agency and individual officer. Not all law enforcement knows their own local carry laws, much less what their state accepts from other states. Further, not all law enforcement agrees even if they do know. There is no shortage of bad stories of legally permitted run-ins with law enforcement. Overturned arrests, excessive force, etc. My local cops are very cc friendly - the chief ran for county sherriff recently on the platform of removing the permit requirement. But 60 miles to the north, somone pulled over by Denver cops had to sue to have their legally permitted carry firearm returned.

Agreed. I said "likely", I didn't say they would "for sure" be helpful. Ultimately it is up to the permit holder to know the laws and abide by them.

There is always heated and emotional debate in the carrying community on the subject. In my biased opinion, most open carry advocates I talk to seem to have the emotional maturity of a teenager demanding their rights to have a tattoo. Their reasoning tends to focus on making a statement about freedom and liberty first, and protection second

LOL....agreed again. I used to have a CC permit. Then I realized it really didn't do anything for me. I rarely, if ever, carried a gun in a manner that required it. I decided it was more of a bother than it was worth. I carry my guns in a manner that is legal without a CC permit (usually just hunting). I transport them in my vehicles in accordance with applicable laws. I register my guns when I'm required to do so (military installations and, yes, I was in New York at one time.) Guns in my home are in appropriate locations to lend themselves for self defense and at the same time are inaccessible by my children. I don't keep them loaded, but in a self defense situation, I could get them into action in a hurry. Ultimately, I'm more concerned about my kids getting hold of a loaded weapon than I am worried about needing them instantly in a defense situation. So, I choose not to leave unlocked, loaded weapons in my home.

While all of these may seem a little bit stray of the topic, I use this example to illustrate that it is reasonable to not have a CC permit, keep guns legally, and still maintain sufficient defense. I think I'm supporting your claim that permit holders tend to be emotional over the wrong things.