Shotgun vs Handgun

WyomingEMT

Actually there are several .21 caliber weapons but that was a typo. My husband worked at a Circle K in Murry, I think, and was robbed by a guy using a .21 caliber. Here are some examples:http://www.usedprice.com/items/guns-and-scopes/s/handgun/index.html?af={%22249%22:{%2242%22:%22%22}}

It is interesting that you are willing to have loaded guns in a household with kids. Now I have to admit that I grew up in a house with a large number of guns all over the place and they were all loaded even if they weren't. Still it is not something I would recommend around kids. As far as under the pillow goes ours was always in a box.

Edited by annewandering

• 2 months later...

Rivet, I don't own a Judge, but many people do. I was thinking that it would be a gun used for closeup defense in the home if the person holding it dosent have a great deal of expericnce with handguns or rifles. The 410 cartrige would cover a wider area in a hall way. Law officers have missed at under 5 feet, I'm sure that if I had to use a gun it would only be dumb luck it I hit anything.

Whatever you decide, please educate yourself and not with the opinions shared in this thread. A .21 cal? Does not exist and a .22 is a horrible home defense round. Body holster? Again no such thing. A .410 does not compensate for a badly placed shot, especially from a 4" barrel. I am a fan of the 20 ga shotgun for the home or a .45 revolver. Go to a gun range and get comfotable with whatever you choose.

Lets get something straight here a firearm any caliber is better than none when trying to protect you, your family or friends.

Second if a 22 is such a poor weapon why do all the gang bangers use them? Hornady even has a critical defense round in 22 WMR now so I guess Hornady must be just plain dumb right.

Third if you don't learn how to use it no firearm is of any value except maybe to get you killed

Fourth the best way to find what works for you is to go someplace that has a lot of different calibers that you can show and see which works for YOU no one else as that is who is going to be using what ever you finally purchase.

Fifth in a house a shotgun is nice if it has a short barrel so you can move it around easier. Loaded with even a hunting load it is far more deadly than a single bullet out of of pistol unless you know how to use your pistol because you have fired thousands of rounds through it.

• 3 weeks later...

Fifth in a house a shotgun is nice if it has a short barrel so you can move it around easier. Loaded with even a hunting load it is far more deadly than a single bullet out of of pistol unless you know how to use your pistol because you have fired thousands of rounds through it.

Nothing says business quite like the sound of a shotgun racking.

• 4 years later...

I like my Judge, but yes, I agree with you all, it is not a defensive weapon.  First you should be trained.  Then find a weapon you are willing to use and practice with.  Then practice.  I know many people who go to a class or two, buy a gun, and shoot it twice a year.  I'm not sure what good that is, but I guess you actually have the gun.  I like the quote from Jeff Cooper and I paraphrase:  Owning a gun and thinking you are shooter is like owning a guitar and thinking you are a musician.

Beside all of the above, you must have the mindset that you will actually use a gun on another human being.  That is the grim reality.  If you don't think you can don't get a gun.

Shooting a person is not fun and it may put you in therapy for years.  There are also legal ramifications.  But even with all that, I think you should have a gun and training in your preparations.

Here's a blog for your consideration:

http://ldsgunsite.blogspot.com/

Edited by Burn

• 2 years later...
Guest Gomezaddams51

If you are thinking about a gun or guns the keyword is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!  The second thing is even more important, IF someone breaks into your home, are you willing to pull the trigger?  You can be an expert at hitting the bullseye on a target but if you won't pull the trigger then you might as well forget the whole gun thing.  So that is the first question you need to ask yourself and your wife.  A second of hesitation is all that a criminal needs to take away your gun and use it on you.

As for guns, I would suggest a shotgun in 12 Ga with a 20 inch barrel loaded with #4 Buckshot.  While 00 Buck carries more knockdown power, #4 has a lot more pellets but has less penetrating power than the 00 Buck which if shooting inside the home, less penetration is a good thing.  It will definitely do the job.

If things go down in an emergency situation a friend of mine says "Shoot, shovel and shut up".  Good luck to you an your wife. 

Edited by Gomezaddams51
Adding