President Monson one of the 10 most admired men in the world

JudoMinja

Dravin, in terms of world religions Mormonism is pretty insignificant...likely less than one percent of the total. I don't care one way or the other but I find it surprising that the leader of such an insignificant sect would feature so highly and would have to know how the sampling was done.

Sounds like thinly veiled insults to me Pendragon.....why not be respectful? You might learn something......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dravin, in terms of world religions Mormonism is pretty insignificant...likely less than one percent of the total. I don't care one way or the other but I find it surprising that the leader of such an insignificant sect would feature so highly and would have to know how the sampling was done.

Gallup's site has beened linked to a couple times and it discusses their methodoloy so have at it.

Funny. You say LDS is insignificant, yet here you are on an LDS-centric site trying to outwit us in some sort of effort to show how we are wrong. LDS must be large enough to have caught your attention, but at the same time you want to tell us how we're really nothing. Do we make you nervous or are you just really bored?

Largest 25 Denominations/Communions from the 2011 Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches.

1. The Catholic Church, 68,503,456 members, up .57 percent.

2. Southern Baptist Convention,16,160,088 members, down .42 percent.

3. The United Methodist Church, 7,774,931 members, down 1.01 percent.

4. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 6,058,907 members, up 1.42 percent.

5. The Church of God in Christ, 5,499,875 members, no membership updates reported.

6. National Baptist Convention, U.S.A., Inc, 5,000,000 members, no membership updates reported.

7. Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 4,542,868 members, down 1.96 percent..... (not enough room for all 25, didn't see your church? Clink on the link and scroll down)

source: Fast Facts about American Religion

Those numbers are not worldwide, in such case there are more than I think 14 mil now.

"Q: What denominations are gaining members and what denominations are losing members?

A: Mainline Protestant denominations continued to decline, according to the 2006 Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches. The United Methodist Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Presbyterian Church USA, and the United Church of Christ, all reported slight decreases in membership in 2005. For the first time in many years, the Southern Baptist Convention, a conservative evangelical denomination, also showed a decrease of 1 percent.

The winners in 2005 were the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Assembles of God; each reported a 2 percent growth. The Roman Catholic Church reported an increase of less than 1 percent. But the biggest increase came from the Orthodox Church in America, which reported a 6 percent increase, bringing total membership to about 1 million members." Fast Facts about American Religion

When you say 'insignificant' in what manner exactly do you mean? Insignificant to you, or insignifcant in number? Or possibly growth? Basic Facts about the Church this is a source that has more recent figures.

Oh, but wait, maybe your purpose on this site is to belittle and degrade...while I still have no idea which church you attend....not shining that light much I'm afraid, but a whole lot of pointing that finger.

Edited by jayanna

*putting my manager hat on*

This site is an LDS site. This particular forum is official news about the LDS church and religion. This allows us to keep members of the church updated and aware of things that are happening within the Church around the world.

President Thomas S. Monson is extremely respected not only by members of the LDS Church but also by others not of our faith around the world. He has traveled the world over and I think many would find that he is known more than some may realize.

This particular thread was not started to have a debate as to the revelance or irrevelance he may be in someone's life. I am asking that there be respect in a "news" forum that is directed more towards those who are of the LDS faith.

We believe that Thomas S. Monson was called of God to be the prophet of all of God's children here on earth. We realize that is not believed or understood by the world population at large and we can respect that. But it is what we believe. Just saying...

Edited by pam

Gosh, so many shots. John Doe, I can hardly be described as typical in terms of knowledge and interest in Mormonism. I lived for more than 30 years in SLC and now live nearby in Idaho. No doubt you would describe Mormon "missionary" efforts as a sincere attempt by the Mormon Church to share its message with non Mormons but you my sincere efforts to preach the Biblical Christ to you as somehow an attempt to "outwit". Can we not discuss our differences, accepting each other's sincerity, if not each other's beliefs.....or does discussion make you nervous`?

Edited by estradling75
Its not that hard to edit a post

I guess you are not up to speed on the recent statements by Marlin Jensen where he admits that the LDS church is shedding members at a worrisome rate. Now in all sincerity I doesn't matter to me that the leader of the LDS Church is in a top ten list or not. My only point is that it is puzzling to me given that the vast majority of people in the world would have no clue who he is. I could likely stand in Paris or Piccadilly, London all day and ask people what they know of Thomas Monson and unless a Mormon walked by I wouldn't find one who even knew the name. That's why I find it puzzling.

Pendragon, I read your other posts and you are not here to discuss, nor to have a give and take. You are here to try to show us we're wrong. The belittling of our faith sure isn't a good way to go about it. We have plenty on our forum who are not of our faith and we have very good constructive conversations. Unfortunately, your posts don't seem to show that's what you want.

So the question is, why are you here? If it's to join the conversation, then welcome. If it's to try to tear down our faith, well, doesn't seem very Christian to sow discontent.

I don't see this thread as about discussion. What's to discuss? There is nothing deep and intellectual about the topic of a poll. All I have done is state an opinion expressing my surprise at the result which appears to be pleasing to most on the board. As I've said...I'm happy for their delight....I repeat, I just find it surprising for the reasons I have given, that's all. Don't be so sensitive. On another thread I have given plenty to discuss out of scripture but no one seems to want to respond to the points I have raised preferring to attack the messenger rather than the message made. Meet me there and discuss.....if you have differing views on those topics, let me hear them, refute my points.

I cannot be responsible for what you "think" I said and your sensitivities to it. Nowhere in this thread have I made that connection. Whether or not the Mormon Church's leader is well know or not, whether or not he features in polls or not, whether or not the Mormon church is large or small, has no bearing on the validity of the Mormon Church. I have stated a view...I am sorry if you find that offensive.

Well, I find it odd that the 14th Dalia Lama was not on this list (unless he is and I missed it).

The Pope, Billy Graham, Pres. Monson.....

So President Monson is the prophet for 14 million people, and the Dalia Lama is the prophet for 1 billion. Hmmm? How does he not make the top ten most influential people?

Well, I find it odd that the 14th Dalia Lama was not on this list (unless he is and I missed it).

The Pope, Billy Graham, Pres. Monson.....

So President Monson is the prophet for 14 million people, and the Dalia Lama is the prophet for 1 billion. Hmmm? How does he not make the top ten most influential people?

President Monson is actually the prophet for about seven billion people.

Thank you Vort. That was exactly my point in my post when I said he was the prophet for ALL of God's children.

President Monson is the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to 14M people. But he is the prophet of God to ALL people on the earth no matter their religious or non religious affiliation.

Edited by pam

President Monson is actually the prophet for about seven billion people.

Oh yes, I forgot my Mormon doctrine.

Let me rephrase. 14 million people recognize Thomas Monson as a a prophet. About a billion Buddhist recognize the 14 Dalia Lama as a prophet...why would he not be listed as one of the most influential people?

Not to be nit picky but this list wasn't about the most influential people. It was about the most admired people.

Also, despite the title of the thread, the actual poll doesn't make any claims on a world wide basis, it's a USA based poll.

Edited by Dravin

Oh yes, I forgot my Mormon doctrine.

Let me rephrase. 14 million people recognize Thomas Monson as a a prophet. About a billion Buddhist recognize the 14 Dalia Lama as a prophet...why would he not be listed as one of the most influential people?

Because the people queried for the poll didn't name him.

The Dalai Lama came in 12th, behind Tim Tebow.

From the writeup linked earlier:

What man that you have heard or read about, living today in any part of the world, do you admire most? And who is your second choice?

RECENT TREND: COMBINED FIRST AND SECOND CHOICES

Name......................% points

Barack Obama.........17

George W. Bush.......3

Bill Clinton...............2

Rev. Billy Graham....2

Warren Buffett.........2

Newt Gingrich..........1

Donald Trump..........1

Pope Benedict XVI...1

Bill Gates................1

Thomas Monson.......1

Tim Tebow...............1

The Dalai Lama........1

Mitt Romney.............1

Rush Limbaugh.........1

Brad Pitt..................1

George H.W. Bush....1

Ron Paul..................1

Nelson Mandela........1

Jimmy Carter...........<1

Colin Powell.............<1

George Clooney.......<1

Glenn Beck..............<1

Mike Huckabee.........<1

Bill O’Reilly...............<1

John McCain.............<1

And for what it's worth

Friend/Relative..........9

Other........................25

None/No opinion.........32

Every year the Prophet consistently gets about 1 percentage point (you can look at the trending data in the link and see that Thomas Monson starts getting votes when Gordon Hinckley stops). This is just the first year the LDS Prophet has made it to the top 10.

As mentioned before, only Americans were surveyed. If memory serves, we have between 6 and 7M LDS in the US. If only half of those are active, that's ~1% of the 312M total people in the US. So this doesn't really suprise me at all.

Edited by mordorbund

Of course, since the poll was conducted in the US there was likely relatively few Buddhists participating. I think a more likely explanation would be that any LDS respondents would focus their response on their leader, who obviously figures largely in their lives, than non LDS respondents who might spread their choices over a larger group of people. There are one or two people I admire on the list but most would not make my top ten...again based on my worldview but then that's what polls are generally about.