Animals and Heaven question :(

dory

My sweet dog who I've had for 14 years got hit by a car and killed today.

I know that her Spirit has left her body and she is gone somewhere, but I wish I could know where she really is right now. Does anyone out there know of any good scriptures that might explain about this a little more? Will we get to see our beloved pets again someday??

My heart is so broken. Had no idea how hard this would be. :tears:

These should answer your question:

Moses 3:5 “For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth.”

"the beasts of the field, the fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea have spirits, and hence are living souls. But this does not make them kinsmen to the sons and daughters of God. They are our Father's creations, not his offspring, and that is the great difference between man and beast." (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 3 vols., edited by Bruce R. McConkie [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1954-1956], 1: 63.)

"Says one, "I cannot believe in the salvation of beasts." Any man who would tell you that this could not be, would tell you that the revelations are not true. John heard the words of the beasts giving glory to God, and understood them. God who made the beasts could understand every language spoken by them. The four beasts were four of the most noble animals that had filled the measure of their creation, and had been saved from other worlds, because they were perfect: they were like angels in their sphere. We are not told where they came from, and I do not know; but they were seen and heard by John praising and glorifying God."

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 291

My sweet dog who I've had for 14 years got hit by a car and killed today.

I know that her Spirit has left her body and she is gone somewhere, but I wish I could know where she really is right now. Does anyone out there know of any good scriptures that might explain about this a little more? Will we get to see our beloved pets again someday??

My heart is so broken. Had no idea how hard this would be. :tears:

Yes we will, at least if we do what we need to.

Something else that I think is a great testimony of the placement of animals in heaven, though it is not at all official or doctrinal, comes from a book I once read. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the author and the title was "The Miracle"- which is a very common title for books, and I have not been able to find it to read again, but...

It was written by an LDS member, though there was no specific mention of his religious affiliation in the book- he was trying to keep it open to target a large audience. He had a near-death experience when he was in a coma, and this book shares the details of that experience. His spirit was temporarily separated from his body, and he could see himself lying on the hospital bed with family members visiting, when he was approached by the spirit of a dead family member. That spirit asked him to come with him, and he followed.

He was taken to spirit paradise, where he was greeted by a multitude of spirits- mostly dead family members and people for whom he'd completed geneology. Among the many things he witnessed there, one of the things was the presense of plants and animals in a peaceful setting. When he asked his spirit guide about them, he was told that all living creatures have spirits and a purpose for coming to earth. Their missions on earth are different from ours and their ability for accountability far less... each comes to this earth in a capacity to glorify God, to testify of Him and his love for us, and to help us through our own personal journies.

I greatly enjoyed reading this book and wish I could find it to re-read... this testimony that all living things have spirits, a purpose to fulfill, and can return to heaven is one of the things I enjoyed seeing in it. At the end of this near-death experience, his spirit guide told him that he could choose whether or not he wanted to stay there, and told him that if he went back he would be expected to share his experience and testimony. That is why he wrote the book. It gives a very clear image of what it is like in the spirit world.

Knowing that animals will be in heaven has been a great comfort to me, as I've had a number of pets who are now gone, and I have a particular affinity for all animals and am drawn to helping them. I hope that this can provide you some small comfort as well. That you can know for yourself that you will be able to see your dog again. Though they are not human and some may not understand our attachment to them, our pets and other animals and even plants are a very important part of our lives, and it is natural to feel just as much grief at their passing as we would the passing of a relative. Please do not think yourself strange or silly for grieving this loss.

Something else that I think is a great testimony of the placement of animals in heaven, though it is not at all official or doctrinal, comes from a book I once read. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the author and the title was "The Miracle"- which is a very common title for books, and I have not been able to find it to read again, but...

It was written by an LDS member, though there was no specific mention of his religious affiliation in the book- he was trying to keep it open to target a large audience. He had a near-death experience when he was in a coma, and this book shares the details of that experience. His spirit was temporarily separated from his body, and he could see himself lying on the hospital bed with family members visiting, when he was approached by the spirit of a dead family member. That spirit asked him to come with him, and he followed.

He was taken to spirit paradise, where he was greeted by a multitude of spirits- mostly dead family members and people for whom he'd completed geneology. Among the many things he witnessed there, one of the things was the presense of plants and animals in a peaceful setting. When he asked his spirit guide about them, he was told that all living creatures have spirits and a purpose for coming to earth. Their missions on earth are different from ours and their ability for accountability far less... each comes to this earth in a capacity to glorify God, to testify of Him and his love for us, and to help us through our own personal journies.

I greatly enjoyed reading this book and wish I could find it to re-read... this testimony that all living things have spirits, a purpose to fulfill, and can return to heaven is one of the things I enjoyed seeing in it. At the end of this near-death experience, his spirit guide told him that he could choose whether or not he wanted to stay there, and told him that if he went back he would be expected to share his experience and testimony. That is why he wrote the book. It gives a very clear image of what it is like in the spirit world.

Knowing that animals will be in heaven has been a great comfort to me, as I've had a number of pets who are now gone, and I have a particular affinity for all animals and am drawn to helping them. I hope that this can provide you some small comfort as well. That you can know for yourself that you will be able to see your dog again. Though they are not human and some may not understand our attachment to them, our pets and other animals and even plants are a very important part of our lives, and it is natural to feel just as much grief at their passing as we would the passing of a relative. Please do not think yourself strange or silly for grieving this loss.

Do you mean "The Message" by Lance Richardson?

Many years ago back in the dark ages my very first litter of puppies caught parvo and all of them died ... this was when the disease was just starting and no vaccine was available. I was given a blessing to help me through the grief .... my dogs are my kids. In the blessing I was assured that I would be with them again. Not scripture but good enough for me. heaven wouldn't be heaven without ALL of our family members.

Two years ago I lost one of my girls after several of the dogs contracted a virus coming out of the ground during the floods here. In her life she loved babies ... she didn't care what kind, she just loved babies. I always smile when I think of her because I feel she was called home to take care of the babies that went home early. maybe she is baby sitting tha first litter that I lost! I am working hard to make sure my mansion is big enough to hold all my babes.

I think of the hymn The Spirit of God v. 6

How blessed the day when the lamb and the lion

Shall lie down together without any ire;

And Ephraim be crowned with his blessings in Zion,

As Jesus descends with his chariots of fire!

This makes me tend to think not only our pets will be there, but lions and tigers and bears! :eek: But that's okay, cause they'll be nice by then. :)

I am so sorry for your loss.

Shortly after my labrador died, 10 years ago, the Ensign had a wonderful article written by Marlin Jensen about raising and loving animals. I kept that ensign for many years because it was such a huge help for me. I believe animals go to heaven but perhaps not with us but with God....but I think I will see my special pets again. For me they are such a huge part of my life I can't imagine being without them in death.

The following from the Bible Dictionary entry on the Revelation of John:

Some Points of Doctrine:

1.A description of the resurrected and glorified Savior (1:13–15).

2.The importance of overcoming the world (3:21; 21:7).

3.The faithful are to be kings and priests unto God and will reign on the earth (1:6; 5:10; 20:6; 21:7).

4.Animals are resurrected from the dead, and there are animals in heaven, redeemed by the blood of Christ (5:11–14; D&C 77:3; HC 5:343).

-Lost