Transgression vs. Sin

Not Canonical? If its on an official church web site (LDS.org) as a "Doctrines of the Gospel student Manual" I'm pretty sure the church includes it in their list of Canonicle books.

And even if that manual isn't official, the Gospel Principles manual is for sure and in chapter 6 it says "their spirits were housed in physical bodies made from the dust of the earth". That may not cover the "no blood" detail but it certainly covers the "physical body" detail.

Edited by kmfor

I just read "Sins and Mistakes" by Dallin H Oaks and he stated "A deliberately wrong choice in the contest between what is clearly good and what is clearly bad is a sin, but a poor choice among things that are good, better, and best is merely a mistake.

I cant relate it to Adam & Eve though because it wasn't a choice between good, better and best, it was a choice between bad and impossible.

His talk was on Sin vs Mistakes, not Sin vs Transgression. He also stated "that is generally a matter of error (mistake) rather than transgression (sin)." So right there he is using the words 'sin' and 'transgression' as having the exact same meaning.

Church manuals aren't technically "canonical" ("Canon", in the LDS Church, is essentially synonymous with "Standard Works"--i.e. the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price). That said--they're a pretty darned good indicator of the Church's official position.

As for "transgression" and its application to what Adam and Eve--what did you think of the other quote from Elder Oaks that I cited in this post? And, why do you continue to assume that Adam and Eve only had two choices ("eat now" versus "never eat"), rather than three ("eat now", "never eat", or "don't eat now and wait for the further instructions the Father promised to give")?

I understood 'Canonicle' to mean a list of books considered to be authoritative scripture by a specific religion. The Standard works may be the "standard" books but we know there is much more authoritative scripture than that. The Hymn book for example, and any other book published by the church including manuals. Every member in the entire world is taught out of manuals every sunday. If they weren't official doctrine, they wouldn't be used to teach in such a manor.

I haven't looked into the quote from Elder Oaks that you posted just yet. Thanks for reminding me.

Good Afternoon Dravin. I hope you're having a good day! :)

At no point will an LDS Bishop (or should he) imply or say that he's forgiving anyone of their sins. He's a judge in Israel and can judge someone's worthiness (to partake in various aspects of the Gospel such as the sacrament or temple attendance) but he doesn't forgive sin.

Just to clarify, if prompted or directed by the Holy Spirit a bishop would be well within his rights to let someone know that God has forgiven the individual who is confessing. It is significant to recognize that the bishop stands as a proxy for the Savior when we confess our sins.

-Finrock