Word of Wisdom and marijuana. Very serious.

TStevieRob

Of course it's complicated. "All wholesome herbs" means that the herbs, themselves, needs be wholesome, not that we think they're wholesome, or that we're making efforts to use them wholesomely. It has nothing to do with judging others. It has to do with the complications of determining if an herb is, indeed, wholesome or not.

Point being, as I read your initial post with the D&C quote, you seemed to be implying that this verse justifies the use of marijuana if it's being used for an intended wholesome purpose. I disagree. One could, for example, intend to consume deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna) for wholesome purposes all they wanted, and it would still kill them. The herb sets the wholesome level, not the intention.

Sure, one might not be held accountable for their unknowledgeable action (I say "might" because I wonder at accountability when it comes down to nothing more than stupidity stemming from laziness), but they'll still be just as dead, and the herb's usage certainly isn't justified by the Word of Wisdom because the person's intent was wholesome.

No justification intended.  Right now Marijuana is illegal.  If and when (sooner than we think) it becomes legal for medical use in every State then the legal barriers will be gone.  Personally I will still have a hard time if I'm ever prescribed it.

However, ALL herbs were put here on this earth for the use of man.  The problem becomes if we're wise enough to use them correctly.  Marijuana has not been used correctly.  There are correct uses . . .  medical uses.  

Its still not a complicated issue for me.  As long as its Illegal, then that's that.  As for the WoW and the OP if its legal where he lives and he has a prescription from his doctor then its perfectly ok and legal to use it.  It really is that simple.

• 2 months later...

Vort, sorry I am on my phone and can't figure out how to quote, but FYI: God did not create firearms. You lose all credibility when you state that anyone believes otherwise.

And Funky town, a temple recommend interview is between a member and their priesthood leaders and the Lord. No room for internet bullies in the Bishop or Stake President's office.

The whole thread is supposed to just be your opinion to help a suffering veteran. I will say I have no problem with anyone using any medicine under direction of a doctor, and if that help is unavailable, I can't imagine Christ wanting anyone to suffer needlessly. He loves us so much, He lived his whole life and death under the premise of alleviating our suffering.

My kids have asked me why drinking alcohol was okay in the Bible, but not now, and I tell them alcohol was likely the only known way to kill germs in drinking water pre-hygiene and refrigeration times. It was weaker than what people now drink to get drunk.

I believe , as the WoW states, all things are "for the use of man", and may have different purposes at different historical times, based on need and information available. So, I think if you are using MJ for a need, not recreation, you can stand with a clear conscience before the Lord.

Your Bishop may not be able to understand where you are or where you have been, all humans are fallible and look at things through their own experience. Christ will see through your eyes and knows your heart and He knows of your struggle to find alternatives first. He wants you to have peace. If you are righteous in your desires and responsible to not abuse, in my view you're okay.

Wow! Thread necro. But thank you for the smile, badmomma. I had forgotten this thread.

Basically, he had come on here and told us that his Branch President(Or stake president. I can't remember) had told him that it was okay to smoke marijuana to get closer to God.

A lot of people jumped on him. I mentioned that, since it was obvious he was from a small town with a tiny branch, all I had to do was phone the branch president and ask why he thought it was okay to smoke marijuana to get closer to the Lord. Simple enough. I tried to phone, failed to get through and ElZorillo simply stopped posting after I said I was going to back him up and act as a second witness to show that his Branch President did, indeed, say that.

I wonder why he stopped posting when I said I was going to back him up. :(

I stopped trying to call when it was apparent he was never going to log back in again.

The whole thread is supposed to just be your opinion to help a suffering veteran. I will say I have no problem with anyone using any medicine under direction of a doctor, and if that help is unavailable, I can't imagine Christ wanting anyone to suffer needlessly. He loves us so much, He lived his whole life and death under the premise of alleviating our suffering.

I see where you're coming from, badmomma, but here's an opposing view:

Let's say that I have a debilitating disease.  It causes me daily pain.  My quality of life is pretty much zero.  Is it OK for me to therefore turn to death cap mushrooms, or hemlock, to alleviate my suffering?  After all, God created these "natural remedies" as well.  And, to take a less-extreme example--what about some hypothetical plant whose extract won't kill me, but will put me into a deep and dreamless sleep?  Is it OK to use that remedy?  If so, are there any limits to how frequently it should be used?

There's a fine line between the alleviation of someone's suffering, versus just relegating that person to spending major portions of the rest of the person's life in a deliberate, drug-induced fog.  Does marijuana cross that line?  I don't know; all I know is that, where marijuana is concerned, a remarkable number of "medical" users seem to be otherwise able-bodied, twenty-something males with nebulously-defined chronic pain who nevertheless managed to maintain a very active lifestyle even before they turned to pot.

Vort, sorry I am on my phone and can't figure out how to quote, but FYI: God did not create firearms. You lose all credibility when you state that anyone believes otherwise.

And Funky town, a temple recommend interview is between a member and their priesthood leaders and the Lord. No room for internet bullies in the Bishop or Stake President's office.

My kids have asked me why drinking alcohol was okay in the Bible, but not now, and I tell them alcohol was likely the only known way to kill germs in drinking water pre-hygiene and refrigeration times. It was weaker than what people now drink to get drunk.

I believe , as the WoW states, all things are "for the use of man", and may have different purposes at different historical times, based on need and information available. So, I think if you are using MJ for a need, not recreation, you can stand with a clear conscience before the Lord.

Your Bishop may not be able to understand where you are or where you have been, all humans are fallible and look at things through their own experience. Christ will see through your eyes and knows your heart and He knows of your struggle to find alternatives first. He wants you to have peace. If you are righteous in your desires and responsible to not abuse, in my view you're okay.

I hope that anyone looking to this post for "permission" to use marijuana for "suffering" pays close attention to the last five words. Just because some anonymous poster on the internet condones something, doesn't mean that it is actually in line with church teachings. It is very easy to find someone on the internet to go along with whatever act you are desiring to engage in.

And for this particular poster, how is it your place to judge what is or what is not "needless" suffering? Should there be no suffering in life at all? Should any and all means be used? Are any means off-limits?

First off I have only read the first post and not the replies so I maybe saying what has already been said.

Second i'm only just returning to the church after a long period of in activity so I may get things wrong.

In my understanding of the Words of wisdom drugs are ok for prescribed medical uses, for an example in my own life I have taken Anti-depressants, Anti-psychotics and sleeping tablets during my time being ill (i'm doing well now :)) all of which would be available from drug dealers and used by people to get high.

So in my option regarding drugs and the Words of wisdom first and foremost consider your intent in using the drug, only you can truly answer that for yourself, then also very important get qualified medical advice, if both of them are done I personally see no problem in you using any drug.

After all Heroine is used as a pain killer although its more likely called diamorphine.

After all Heroine is used as a pain killer although its more likely called diamorphine.

This would solve all the problems. Instead of calling it medical marijuana, give it some fancy sounding medical name and no one would know the better. :D

This would solve all the problems. Instead of calling it medical marijuana, give it some fancy sounding medical name and no one would know the better. :D

Lol not quite what I meant but yes you could refer to it as the active ingredients in marijuana which are THC and CBD (not even gonna try to correctly spell the full names).

What I was trying to say is its the improper use of a substance that's the problem not the substance it self, and improper use can still occur with a valid prescription.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I wanted to ask a question. Would a member who suffers from both chronic epilepsy they've had since birth and chronic migraines (I've even had brain surgery to try to stop the epilepsy, a partial temporal lobectomy on the right side and it didn't work, have had seizures since my surgery that put me BACK in the ER) and who is in good standing with their bishopric be able to obtain a medical marijuana card and still hold a temple recommend?

There's a strain of cannabis being used for seizure treatment now, or at least, the cannabis extract in olive oil is. Charlotte's Web. I'm asking my neurologists if it could work, but things are coming really slow.  

If I already asked a question like this you can delete this post, a family member got seriously hurt last month and all I've been thinking about is what happened to her. Thank goodness she's still alive.

Edited by KellyLC

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I wanted to ask a question. Would a member who suffers from both chronic epilepsy they've had since birth and chronic migraines (I've even had brain surgery to try to stop the epilepsy, a partial temporal lobectomy on the right side and it didn't work, have had seizures since my surgery that put me BACK in the ER) and who is in good standing with their bishopric be able to obtain a medical marijuana card and still hold a temple recommend?

There's a strain of cannabis being used for seizure treatment now, or at least, the cannabis extract in olive oil is. Charlotte's Web. I'm asking my neurologists if it could work, but things are coming really slow.  

If I already asked a question like this you can delete this post, a family member got seriously hurt last month and all I've been thinking about is what happened to her. Thank goodness she's still alive.

Kelly - this is not the place that you should seek an answer to your particular question.  You may request a temple recommend interview (if you are worthy) even if you have a current temple recomend and discuss this with your bishop and stake president.