Anatess or Bini - Favorite Lumpia Recipe?

ryanh

I think Bini and Anatess should send me their best work. Then I'll take it to the international potluck small group that meets at our church on Fridays (mostly Filipina), and will compare. I'll synthesize the results, let my wife add some secret Korean ingredients, and post the resultant recipe right here. We'll make it public domain, and declare, "To God be the glory!"

P.S. If it turns out nasty y'all can blame me, cause it's usually the Scandanavian heritage that destroys delicious Asian food.

I make my own. It's not as good as Goldilocks but it's super cheap compared. I usually make about 200 of them while watching a movie, put it in the freezer and my husband and kids just take how many they want from the freezer and drop it in the deep fryer for snacks or meals.

But, I can't tell you measurements - it's all "season according to taste". But here goes:

1 lb 80/20 or leaner ground beef

2 lbs frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, green beans - no Lima beans!)

Salt

Pepper

Garlic powder

Soy sauce (Silver Swan or UFC brands if available)

2 cans bean sprouts drained

100 pcs egg roll wrapper

Flour and water to make paste

Vegetable oil

Sweet Chili sauce

Filling:

Brown meat and drain oil. Add frozen veggies and cook until veggies are soft. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and soy sauce to taste. Soy sauce makes the dish salty as well, so easy on the salt at first and balance the soy sauce. Turn off heat and mix in bean sprouts. Pour into colander and let drain for at least 30 minutes.

Wrap:

Take one egg roll wrapper and scoop some filling on it, wrap by folding one corner over the filling, then folding each side corner to make an envelope then roll up tightly leaving a bit of the last corner. Spread flour paste on the top corner and roll to seal.

Freeze egg rolls if not serving immediately. Egg rolls can stay in the freezer for up to 6 months.

Fry:

Heat oil in a frying pan or deep fryer to about 400F. Fry egg rolls (can fry frozen egg rolls without thawing) until golden brown (goes quite quick - less than 5 minutes in a deep fryer). Drain on paper towel. Serve immediately with sweet chili sauce for dipping.

Happy eating.

I haven't made Lumpia but this is what my fellow Filipina friend does:

Fresh Lumpia Ingredients:

Filling:

1/4 kilo pork liempo, boiled and sliced

1/2 kilo shrimp, shelled

2 squares tokwa (tofu), cubed

1/2 cabbage, medium-sized, shredded

1 cup string beans, sliced diagonally

carrot, cut into thin strips

kinchay, cut lengthwise, half inch

kamote, medium-sized, cut into thin strips

lettuce leaves

3 tbsp. cooking oil

1 onion, sliced

1 garlic, crushed

peanuts, finely chopped (for garnishing)

Lumpia wrappers:

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup cornstarch

dash of salt

oil to grease frying pan

For sauce:

1 cup brown sugar

water

cornstarch

soy sauce

Seasoning:

soy sauce to taste

Fresh Lumpia Cooking Instructions:

Saute garlic and onions. Add pork and shrimp.

When pork and shrimp are slightly cooked, add tofu.

Add carrots, string beans, kamote, then kinchay and cabbage. Do not overcook.

Season to taste. Cool before wrapping.

To make lumpia wrappers:*

Mix egg, water, cornstarch and salt thoroughly until smooth. Take about lA of batter to make each crepe (piece of wrapper). Brush some oil on a non-stick pan. Spread the batter thinly by turning the pan around. Cook only one side of the crepe over low heat. (Don’t keep the crepe too long on the pan as it will be toasted. When it turns slightly brown or small bubbles appear on the surface, it’s cooked.) Lift crepe off using a wide spatula, and place on wax paper. Stack cooked crepes with wax paper between them.

To make sauce:*

Dissolve cornstarch in water and soy sauce. Put brown sugar in a saucepan. Caramelize by stirring the sugar continually until totally melted. (Don’t scorch the sugar.) Add some water and simmer until the caramel is dissolved. Add cornstarch dissolved in water and soy sauce. Stir until mixture becomes smooth and transparent.

To make lumpia:*

Put 2-3 tablespoons of filling in lumpia wrapper. Roll wrapper and seal. Serve with sauce and finely chopped peanuts.

PS. You can get the wrappers at an Asian store too.

Edited by Bini

Ooooh... Clarification...

There are different kinds of lumpia.

The one Bini gave above is Lumpia Sariwa - soft, doughy wrap. This is similar to the Summer Rolls in Vietnamese or Thai Restaurants.

The one I gave is Lumpia Basa - crunchy wrap - which is similar to the Spring Roll.

There's also Lumpia Shanghai - skinny all meat rolls with crunchy wrap.

There's Lumpia Hubad - no wrapper, just filling.

There's Lumpia Ubod - uses coconut in the filling.

There's more, I'm sure in other parts of the Philippines.

The one Bini gave above is Lumpia Sariwa - soft, doughy wrap. This is similar to the Summer Rolls in Vietnamese or Thai Restaurants.

The one I gave is Lumpia Basa - crunchy wrap - which is similar to the Spring Roll.

You failed to mention the lutefisk lumpia, popular in remote northern villages in Norwa...er uh...or maybe you didn't forget??? :viking:

Edited by prisonchaplain

You can make some of each for me and I will let you know which one is best!:D

Yeh I'm not a guru on Filipino cuisine, though I do know some dishes and of course, I put my own spin on it. But my husband is a meat and potato man, not big on rice or noodles, so Asian food (any kind) is a real treat for moi!

:::SIGH:::...What to do with culinary fundamentalists???

I dunno, but we burn heretics at the stake. That is the only stake that we do burn.

Anyway, most may not, but the Pentecostal kinds do! :P

What I mean is that you can't call it a meat pie when meat isn't an integral element, and you've made me hungry now.

On my mission we were travelling back one day, had been on the bust for a while. During the stop I saw an old lady selling pirozhki. The pirozhok she had out was large and appetising (cabbage filling of course) so I gave her the money and she handed me a miniscule one. 'What about that,' I asked, pointing to the large one.

'Oh, that, just a display model.'