Martin Luther King and Gays

annewandering

I can see no intelligent reason to try to determine someone's opinion about something without them being present to clarify exactly what their opinion really is.

We all have the right to give our own opinion but we cross over into the very essence of prejudice, bigotry and tyranny when we begin to think we can accurately and adequately express someone else's opinion.

The Traveler

I can see no intelligent reason to try to determine someone's opinion about something without them being present to clarify exactly what their opinion really is.

We all have the right to give our own opinion but we cross over into the very essence of prejudice, bigotry and tyranny when we begin to think we can accurately and adequately express someone else's opinion.

The Traveler

I agree completely which is why it astonished me that this article was actually the headline on the site. Seems to me that people are using him to further their own agendas instead of what he really stood for. He has become someone quite different than he was at the time. Now he is a bona fida martyr to whatever cause someone is pushing.

Intellectual honesty demands I admit that Rev. King's opinion seems to reflect the culture and time he belonged to. Our faith's leaders were saying similar things at the time.

Sad experience with assigning hero status to humans, demands I commiserate with folks who figured he would have thought like we modern enlightened cosmopolitan metrosexuals would like our heroes to think.

Smarmy sarcasm demands I make some inflammatory comment about politics that gets the thread shut down. But I don't take orders from smarmy sarcasm unless I'm more invested in the topic.

Okay - I am sorry to get on my high horse again - but I do not believe anyone posting is qualified to tell us what the opinion of Martin L King was or is. If someone is interested in Martin L King then I suggest they read and study what Dr. King said and did not not say - as someone else's framing of his words.

To be honest I am very disappointed in some on this thread that are suggesting anything concerning Dr. King's opinion. Let his words and deeds stand before G-d with him as we all will with ours - if there is something he said that we think we agree then state our own opinion and let conclusions come. I personally liked his dream of everyone having opportunity.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

I think the gay rights movement will be ultimately successful in a short time. A Mr. President and the First Man could be here before we know it.

If you have any understanding of mathematical fractals and Chaos Theory to explain interactions in complex systems - the foundation of concern about global warming or species extension. Then we must recognize that changing the matting habits of even 1% of the population could likely bring about the end of the human race.

If we are willing to modify environmental policy to save a snail for fear of environmental collapse then the obligation is with those that propose a change in the evolutionary environment - and if you do not think that changing reproductive behaviors in a population will have any evolutionary impact - then I am quite sure I am not talking with a rational person but rather someone motivated only by "feelings".

The Traveler

If you have any understanding of mathematical fractals and Chaos Theory to explain interactions in complex systems - the foundation of concern about global warming or species extension. Then we must recognize that changing the matting habits of even 1% of the population could likely bring about the end of the human race.

If we are willing to modify environmental policy to save a snail for fear of environmental collapse then the obligation is with those that propose a change in the evolutionary environment - and if you do not think that changing reproductive behaviors in a population will have any evolutionary impact - then I am quite sure I am not talking with a rational person but rather someone motivated only by "feelings".

The Traveler

Except the flaw in your equation is you aren't changing the matting habits by granting gay rights being their matting habits were generally already geared toward not procreating, right now the current stances are actually changing the matting habit because gays are procreating against their natural habits to stay hidden. Gay rights does absolutely nothing to change reproductive behaviors because these people for the most part won't be reproducing with the opposite sex any way. To be honest gay rights could actually increase population growth with them not having to worry about parental rights and such. More and more might do invetro and surrogate if they don't have to worry about the stability of their futures.

Also to be honest we've already modified procreation well beyond the 1%. We've improved health science to reduce infant mortality rates by a huge %. Contraception and Conception sciences have both modified the natural reproduction rates. Where we are now is already an artificial reproductive rate so this "changing by even 1%" is so long past done that it's a hollow argument.

Edited by Soulsearcher

The Traveler

What Traveler is saying is that, in his opinion, trying to express other people's opinions can only be done by the truly ignorant: People who not only lack the basic empathy to understand that we can never truly encompass all of another person's feelings and thoughts, but also so ignorant that they do not recognize that their own feelings and thoughts will necessarily taint the final product.

He's saying that those who try to express another's opinions are the type of dense simpletons who do not even realize they are pushing the boundaries of prejudice and ignorance by calling another's opinion their own.

I HATE when people try to express other people's opinions!

What Traveler is saying is that, in his opinion, trying to express other people's opinions can only be done by the truly ignorant: People who not only lack the basic empathy to understand that we can never truly encompass all of another person's feelings and thoughts, but also so ignorant that they do not recognize that their own feelings and thoughts will necessarily taint the final product.

He's saying that those who try to express another's opinions are the type of dense simpletons who do not even realize they are pushing the boundaries of prejudice and ignorance by calling another's opinion their own.

I HATE when people try to express other people's opinions!

That's fascinating. Based on this and other readings of Traveler's quotes, is he favorable towards people sharing their own opinions in public settings (including Internet fora)? or is that also the act of a dense simpleton? Should opinions be kept in the privacy of one's home, reserved only for family and friends?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ACrystal
Hidden

I think the gay rights movement will be ultimately successful in a short time. A Mr. President and the First Man could be here before we know it.

I have to agree with your opinion in general, gays have been becoming successful at their movements lately...

Download YouTube videos