Help with talk about the Holy Ghost, please

ThatLDSKiD

I'm giving a talk about the Holy Ghost and I had some questions.

1. Can non-members, or people who haven't ever been baptized, feel the Holy Ghost? If so they most likely don't realize that it's the Holy Ghost, and probably think its their conscience.

2. Can you help me find some scriptures that talk about recognizing the Holy Ghost? For example, a scripture that describes how you feel, what incites the Holy Ghost, etc. Possibly something besides a "burning in the bosom"

Thanks!

1. Can non-members, or people who haven't ever been baptized, feel the Holy Ghost?

If they couldn't how could anyone receive a testimony prior to baptism? Confirmation entails the reception of the Gift of the Holy Ghost which is different than the ability to be influenced by the Holy Ghost. If you desire a spectacular example of the spirit in action pre-baptism just look at the day of Pentecost.

2. Can you help me find some scriptures that talk about recognizing the Holy Ghost? For example, a scripture that describes how you feel, what incites the Holy Ghost, etc. Possibly something besides a "burning in the bosom"

Galatians 5:22-23*

Edited by Dravin

Thanks, Dravin. I was thinking more about people who aren't even interested in our church but are Christian. I know a man who is Catholic, but I feel like he is very in tune with Heavenly Father and he claims that there is an internal compass within him that guides his life. And he said that if he is ever uncomfortable and can't feel the compass then he does something about it.

It sounds a lot like the Holy Ghost, so I was curious because he isn't a member, isn't interested, and has never been baptized in our church.

From a Biblical point of view there are several examples. If you like the D/C it has some great explanations of it in regards to intelligence.

James 3:17–Tells us that we can get wisdom through the form of feelings. First Pure, peaceable, gentle

Rom. 14:17--Peace and joy

Rom. 15:13--Joy and peace

Luke 24:32--This is a great scripture on the Spirit, because Cleopas and his companion in travel,

based this feeling, or burning in the bosom, as a source of truth when they said “did not our

hearts burn within us...?”

Gal. 5:22—It’s a good comparative of the feelings of the Spirit. Which are love joy, and peace.

John 14:27--Christ speaks of the Comforter to come, and immediately after speaks of the peace

He will leave with them, not as the world giveth.

1 Kings 19:11-12-- “And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And,

behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in

pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an

earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the

LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.”

This tells us the spirit is only a small whisper, and not some mighty thing.

Acts 2:37–This tells us that we can be “pricked in our heart” with the Spirit. And "God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts" (Gal. 4:6).

Did you notice that many of these speak of peace? Satan cannot imitate this feeling. As 1 Cor. 14:33

says “for God is not the author of confusion, but of peace...” See also Phil. 4:7

Justin Martyr wrote in his book Dialogue with Trypho, of his conversion that he was a

philosopher until he met an old man who introduced him to the Hebrew Prophets when “a flame

enkindled his heart” and he found “this philosophy (Christianity) alone to be sure and

profitable.” (Dialogue with Trypho 8, Ante-Nicene Fathers 1:198)

“There are two angels with a man-one of righteousness, and the other of iniquity...The angel of righteousness is gentle and modest, meek and peaceful. When he ascends into your heart, he speaks to you of righteousness, purity, chastity, contentment, and every other righteous deed and glorious virtue. When all of these things come into your heart, know that the angel of righteousness is with you” (Shepard of Hermas, Ante-Nicene Fathers 2:24)

“That most Holy Spirit willingly descends from the Father over our cleansed and blessed bodies [after baptism]...The dove of the Holy Spirit flies to earth, that is, to our flesh as it emerges from the font,...bringing us the peace of God, sent out from the heavens.” (Ante-Nicene Fathers 3:673, Tertullian, W)

And of course 1 Cor. 2:10-13, 12:3

"A person may be temporarily guided by the Holy Ghost without receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost (see D&C 130:23). However, this guidance will not be continuous unless the person is baptized and receives the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. We read in Acts 10 that the Roman soldier Cornelius received inspiration from the Holy Ghost so that he knew the gospel of Jesus Christ was true. But Cornelius did not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost until after he was baptized. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that if Cornelius had not received baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost, the Holy Ghost would have left him (see Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, 97).

Today people who are not members of the Church learn by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true (see Moroni 10:4–5). But that initial testimony leaves them if they do not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. They do not receive the continuing assurance that can come to those who have the gift of the Holy Ghost."Gospel Principles Chapter 21: The Gift of the Holy Ghost