Is temple prep class required?

bjw

I had a quick question. Is the temple prep class required before someone can get a Live Ordinance Recommend and go to the temple for their first Endowment session. Assuming a person is in good standing, meets worthiness requirements, has a good handle on the gospel, etc. can they get the recommend before completing all of the temple prep seminar?

The reason I ask is I have a person that will have missed the I think the first session of the class and he would like to join the class already in session and maybe get the recommend while there's still a couple sessions remaining. So, is the class a required prerequisite or is it just a recommendation?

I realize that ultimately readiness can only be determined by a Bishop, but should we not even make the appointment for him until completing the class?

I realize that ultimately readiness can only be determined by a Bishop, but should we not even make the appointment for him until completing the class?

Ask.

Scenario 1: Bishop says it's all good and he gets a recommend sooner.

Scenario 2: Bishop says he wants the person to attend the class to completion first.

There is pretty much just gain to be had by asking, and an appointment won't necessarily be required to ask. The person can catch him just before or after sacrament, on the phone, or via email. The Bishop may want to sit down and talk (and tell him to make an appointment) before giving an answer but it isn't a certainty.

(Scenarios assuming no other potential issues).

I had a quick question. Is the temple prep class required before someone can get a Live Ordinance Recommend and go to the temple for their first Endowment session. Assuming a person is in good standing, meets worthiness requirements, has a good handle on the gospel, etc. can they get the recommend before completing all of the temple prep seminar?

The reason I ask is I have a person that will have missed the I think the first session of the class and he would like to join the class already in session and maybe get the recommend while there's still a couple sessions remaining. So, is the class a required prerequisite or is it just a recommendation?

That mostly depends on the bishop... However strictly speaking its not.

So if it is 'not a requirement' why was I asked the question when going for my own Endowments????

I was being questioned by the Temple President's wife.

I do feel that it is totally necessary for someone to have the Temple classes before undertaking their Endowments so that they realise the full gravity of the step that they are taking.

So if it is 'not a requirement' why was I asked the question when going for my own Endowments????

I was being questioned by the Temple President's wife.

I do feel that it is totally necessary for someone to have the Temple classes before undertaking their Endowments so that they realise the full gravity of the step that they are taking.

She might have asked so that she understood the level of your knowledge about the temple.

I agree that some preparation is important but formal temple prep classes are not required.

Because she felt like asking it*? Don't confuse, "Someone did it this way when I experienced it." with "This is the required way of doing it." It's easy to do, particularly when it's something like our own endowments where we only experience it once (unlike say methods of reporting Home/Visiting Teaching or holding correlation meetings where we might experience multiple methods through the years).

I'm sure somewhere buried in Handbook #1 is the truth of it being a policy requirement or not. Thing is if your Bishop requires it then it's a requirement regardless of what the handbook says. My Bishop wanted me to pass the sacrament before he would kick me upstairs for being made an Elder and I'm pretty sure that's not a policy requirement. Likewise with him wanting me to give a talk before he'd let me submit my paperwork for my mission.

*For those curious when I went through I wasn't asked, and no I didn't do temple prep classes, my Bishop just asked me to review the manual for the class.

Edited by Dravin

Okay, I got some news and I'll share with you what I found out, since what I heard here it sounds like it depends on the Bishop you have and their opinion of the worthiness/knowledge of the patron.

My cousin has trouble reading because of his dyslexia but in general has a good handle on the Gospel. They want him to first focus on getting the PH promotion to Elder. Since him and one other person are the only ones preparing right now they may not offer the class and just allow Home Teachers to review the material with the people to prep them for the temple. Then, when enough people need the class they will offer it, and it will provide a refresher to those who have studied the material under their HT.

My cousin has worked the past year on being worthy, he even went through a 12-step program to get off of chewing tobacco and is really looking forward to growing spiritually through this process. I have enjoyed teaching my cousin and its been a spiritual journey for him this past year. So, everyone, please keep us in your prayers during this process.

Okay, I got some news and I'll share with you what I found out, since what I heard here it sounds like it depends on the Bishop you have and their opinion of the worthiness/knowledge of the patron.

My cousin has trouble reading because of his dyslexia but in general has a good handle on the Gospel. They want him to first focus on getting the PH promotion to Elder. Since him and one other person are the only ones preparing right now they may not offer the class and just allow Home Teachers to review the material with the people to prep them for the temple. Then, when enough people need the class they will offer it, and it will provide a refresher to those who have studied the material under their HT.

My cousin has worked the past year on being worthy, he even went through a 12-step program to get off of chewing tobacco and is really looking forward to growing spiritually through this process. I have enjoyed teaching my cousin and its been a spiritual journey for him this past year. So, everyone, please keep us in your prayers during this process.

That's awesome! Way to go, B.

HiJolly